2014-2015 JGPF Mens Free Skate 12/12 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 JGPF Mens Free Skate 12/12

s_parks

Record Breaker
Have to add to the comments about the announcer. He always sounds so enthusiastic, and more so when someone has a great skate!

adelia

Record Breaker
Well, at least now I know what to expect of Petrov's marks when Inman is on the judging panel. His lowest PCS marks in 2 years. We have to way back to his debut season on the junior circuit to find such PCS marks. :scowl:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
It's Shoma's birthday next week! (17 Dec) Hahaha. Great performance as a present for him tonight.
Ah, I see. Happy birthday to Shoma! :biggrin:

He does look wobbly and loose but he's only 14, so I'm pretty sure he's going to become much more put-together in the future. :)
He's only 14? Okay, he'll definitely improve. Just saying, tighter positions = better GOE (and possibly better technique to keep the jumps as he grows older).

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
Just managed to find a video of Shoma's program. I really can't wait to see how he will go against the seniors at Nationals. That was just a brilliant skate.

begin

Medalist
Wow, congrats to Shoma! I wasn't expecting a perfect program but he was fantastic. Hope he keeps it up at nationals as well.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Shoma only started performing quads this season and he was unable to land triple axels just months ago, he would always fall and underrotate them. Watching his FS today my only reaction is :bow:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Shoma only started performing quads this season and he was unable to land triple axels just months ago, he would always fall and underrotate them. Watching his FS today my only reaction is :bow:

His first triple axel was very very strong. He rotates quite fast and gets a lot of distance (except his lutz, which is clearly his weakest triple). If he gets more strength and height in his jumps, he could become quite the technician.

ioanna

Record Breaker
His first triple axel was very very strong. He rotates quite fast and gets a lot of distance (except his lutz, which is clearly his weakest triple). If he gets more strength and height in his jumps, he could become quite the technician.

The lutz will probably remain a bit of a problem but he was a chronic flutzer and he had a very ugly take off so I can see he's worked very hard on fixing it. He's always been a very consistent skater and he rarely does big mistakes but the lack of quads and triple axels in his arsenal kept him away from podiums. Not this season though.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
It looks like the judge with impossibly high standards for transitions and interpretation was at it at again. Do they think the other judges agree? Do they forget the lowest is thrown out? And what is the beef with those two categories?

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Amazing FS by Shoma! His total score beats both of Hanyu's GP events... Japanese nationals will be very interesting.

Uhmm, not exactly a fair point of comparison considering "the collision," but I agree that Shoma will make Japanese Nationals senior men's competition even more exciting. Go Shoma!

salchowx4

On the Ice
It looks like the judge with impossibly high standards for transitions and interpretation was at it at again. Do they think the other judges agree? Do they forget the lowest is thrown out? And what is the beef with those two categories?

It is funny to see someone get scores in the 3s when all the rest are mostly giving 6s and 7s.

Maybe a certain judge should try not being so obvious? LOL.

Last edited:

MIM

Medalist
Shoma is a champion!!! Loved everything he did. He has this quality that today's seniors are missing. Besides the amazing skating, I felt him a great actor. Idk, he just creates an air that makes me believe whatever he is portraying. So natural never forced! Bravo! He was my favorite in the entire competition so far.

I was quite surprised to find Sota very musical! His jump, not one but every jump, was right on the note! I could not find any better timing than the one he did. Spins were synching with the music tone... Wow he was just exciting to watch!

Roman did not have a hard jump layout, but I was impressed with his clean and refreshing style. I will watch him closely next time he competes.

Ps. Japan has such a deep field of talents. It would be wonderful to have just one, but how many do they have? Endless! There should be a group of amazing skaters unexposed yet.

Last edited: