2014 Skate Canada Mens SP 10/31 | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate Canada Mens SP 10/31

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
I don't remember the exact words, but it was about not covering the ice, and not comparing to whatever level. It was a female voice, and although I am almost sure who she is, I won't post her name, not being without doubt.

Tracy Wilson?

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I love Javier's program so much! He's on a different level now, simply the best! I wish he learn to keep track of jumps and does not mess up. Go get the World title, Javier!

Max improved a lot! Like his new look too.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Okay just finished catching up with things. Thanks Mao88, grateful for your vids.

What do you get when you when you combine the Latin spirit, Goofball mixed with Rockin'Roll?

Javier = Phwwwaaaaahhhhuhhhhh..... helleowwww~!!!

This satan is irresistable and fun!! I want to take holiday with him. That was terrific.. Really! Magical, heart pounding innovative choreographed step sequence, I can see him win the WC already to standing ovations, some seriously cool moves I'd rated much BETTER than Machida's luke warm Symphony 9th FS at Skate America. Who did the choreography anyone know? I like the fact the program is current and uses lyrics well, sparingly. Me likey mucho likey!!

A pity about Adam's short, jump aside, I like the program and can see its potential. Very suave, and classic American (he could do a classic spread with Ralph Lauren collection walking off the ice... if he only had done better in his skating). I think all those red carpets with Ashley at Hollywood during their post Sochi breaks might have inspired him. He is a maturer artist today. Good luck on the FS.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Watched this on TV earlier today. Better quality competition, overall, than Skate America, imo (even if Machida's skate was better than Javi's).

Fernandez: Love the program! I found the lyrics unnecessary, but he really got the "rock" feel. I agree with him in first, even with the mistake. Commentator says he's wearing a shirt Brian Orser used to wear.

Mura: Credit to him, to skate clean. But the program/choreography... :confused: Why is there a music cut in the middle of a spin? Why is there not much going on in the finale?

Menshov: :bow: Mistake on the axel, meh shirt, whether the program was any good... who cares? Landing two quads in an SP at 31 years old is simply insane.

Carriere: Good skate for him, but movements, spins, and footwork all seem kinda jerky.

Aaron: Speed :love: Fun program. Underscored in aspects of PCS, imo (INT, SS).

Kozuka: I'd understand his PCS if he had a total meltdown like JO. I'd also understand it if he gave a very listless performance despite his good SS (because I'm one of those people who believe SS is just one portion of PCS). But here, his mistakes weren't disruptive, and he gave a good solid performance. Ah well, I'll just enjoy his wonderful skating and lovely outfit.

Brezina: I still love the program, but he needs to get those jumps under control...

Amodio: I feel bad for him, getting no combination and the lutz invalidated. But goodness, there was no reason to pop that! He had an eternity of time to rotate it.

Rogozine: Not very memorable...

Firus: *sigh*

Rippon: Nightmare. :no:

Overall, it looks like I had too much confidence in Rippon and Brezina, and not enough in Menshov.

starlight97

Final Flight
Good morning :)

I think Javier is rightfully in first. And yes his PCS are rightfully the highest (if they had to be that high or 2 points less.. well)
Shame about the Axel but the 4S was spot on!

I do hope he'll get some more consistency though. It's a rather weak field at SC so he doesn't need to be absolutely perfect but at the final (if he makes it) and at Worlds he'll face Hanyu and Machida and a mistake like doubling out the Axel will be costly there.
(He also looked very ...'charming' here btw:biggrin: )

pandaatlarge

On the Ice
I was so wrong worrying about Javi yesterday, he is sooooooo cool (& hot). The first time I saw the program in ice show in June I was already thinking with such full-packed yet fun and engaging choreography, how competitive it can be if he skates it clean. In coming months however it wasn't quite well polished, so I started to worry. But today, wow, he totally delivered it!! A bit disappointed at the 2A, but he put it together so well, and compared to the ones in ice shows his whole performance today in a competition was even more complete, engaging, fun, and cool. I love it!

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) - 86.36 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
2. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 82.57 Short Program, 2nd Copy
3. Konstantin MENSHOV (RUS) - 81.70 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Stephen CARRIERE (USA) - 80.33 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Max AARON (USA) - 76.50 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
6. Takahiko KOZUKA (JPN) - 75.85 Short Program, 2nd Copy
7. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 73.29 Short Program, 2nd Copy
8. Florent AMODIO (FRA) - 72.14 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
9. Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) - 70.95 Short Program, 2nd Copy
10. Liam FIRUS (CAN) - 64.94 Short Program, 2nd Copy
11. Adam RIPPON (USA) - 62.83 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

peg

Medalist
Javier = Phwwwaaaaahhhhuhhhhh..... helleowwww~!!!

Who did the choreography anyone know?
I sort of suspect it may have been Kurt Browning. I know Kurt has choreographed for him before, and it's very much the type of program I can imagine Kurt doing himself.

But I don't actually know :p

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Who did the choreography anyone know?

I sort of suspect it may have been Kurt Browning. I know Kurt has choreographed for him before, and it's very much the type of program I can imagine Kurt doing himself.

i think both his short and long programs choreographed by david wilson

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So happy for Javier! Loved Stephen Carriere's program. Pulling for Max (his hair is kind of "bushy" - time for a haircut - but still cute), fun program. Heartbroken for Adam. I hope Michal Brezina pulls up in the free skate. Love the Japanese guys (still glad that "Taka" is competing). Glad to see that Florent did a more "serious" program. Gee, there are so many guys I really love in this sport!

Wo|flax

Final Flight
Mura :love: sorry I have you third because I dont like your LP Im not sure I like your SP either, but I still like you.
omg Menshov slaaayy 4T and 4S and 31 yrs old but no A :( parts that were really nice choreo; parts that werent. I'm glad I kept you in my top 5XD
Javi so hot; got too excited at the end I think; his charisma can carry the program such that it is (ie not very good choreo) highest TR=highest PCS in this case I guess
'he had everything in there but the kitchen sink and maybe that too somewhere'BESP XD haha nice coincidence TES=PCS
Taka with a not baggy costume what is going on??? beautiful.
Aaron: I love footloose, and I can enjoy listening to it while I imagine how wonderful the choreo could have been(ditto for black betty). really he needs to put in more things; it's too empty in parts. Hoping for a comeback tommorrow. also speed.
Stephen:wow; that'll teach me;
summary of entire mens SP:this is hot guy central or something.
I have to wake up in 6 hours why.

Lota

Record Breaker
Oh, it's so sad to read your comments about Mura :( Yeah, he may not be the most creative in his choice of music (POTO coming right up!), but I just have the biggest crush on him! He really impressed me in the 2012-13 season, been a fan of his ever since. So yeah, hopefully he does well.

And Menshov, wow wow wow :eek: That's all I can say. Those quads... Gonna root for him in the free as well!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
i think both his short and long programs choreographed by david wilson

Interesting... hope so. He has been getting a lot of flack lately.

Yeahh I does look very Kurt doesn it? The humour, goofiness, the modernism, the personality on ice. I seem to recall Kurt wore something very similar to this before? Quite minimal and contemporary.

Alba

Record Breaker
I like Javier'SP, but I was on the edge during the whole time. It does consume a lot of energy and it looked like tour de force.

On a funny note, one judge gave to Javier 7.75 and to Mura 8.25 for skating skills.
Choreo/composition 7.75 to Javier and 8 to Mura, and the same scores (8) for interpretation to both. :laugh:

deedee1

Record Breaker
:clap: for Takahito Mura for a clean skate! Wishing he'll have a comeback season.
but :cry: for Taka;;;;;
:rock: for Konstantin. Hitting 4T & 4S at 31yo is x 100 times more than impressive!

But the performance of the night for me is Carriere. I kept telling my husband while watching, 'OH MY GOT! he nailed it! he nailed it!!' It's such moment that I love being a skating fan myself to see someone comes back strong after spending season after season filled with injuries, hardships and/or misfortunes. I can't help clapping hard for him/her with smile on my face. :yes:

WELCOME BACK 2007 World Junior Champion Stephen Carriere! :party2:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Watching the replay here this morning - didn't catch it live.

Just want to say I love Amodio's SP. He can really be a soft and beautiful skater. Glad to see him with this type of program.

Adam. :bang:

Happy for Carrierre - he must be thrilled with #2 TES.

Wow Menshov TES would have been through the roof without that jump error! :eek: Good for the "more mature" skaters! :) His skating is far from lovely though..

Max. He is just so likable to me. Helps me overlook the rough aspects of his skating. :lol: I hope he skates this well at US Nats and brings the crowd totally in and has a blast.

I like Mura's OTT Carmen costume! :drama: Good for him on a good skate.

Javi - wow he put enough energy into that SP for 3 long programs!

Fun to watch them all. Looking forward to long programs with you all this afternoon.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
i wish there was a way of distinguishing all these great Japanese skaters from Dai to Hanyu to Kozuku to Mura to Machida they seem like anime or Korean or Japanese soap star types. I know there area lot of personal fans but to the average viewer they kind of look the same OTT soap stars or anime characters :) Good skaters though with dramatic hair.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I just went over Javier's performance. You know really not so good. He can't sell the performance like Elvis despite being "hotter" according to most of you. He does not have the charisma of Candelero nor the edges and sharpness of Browning. In fact, I think Joubert would sell this far better. Really I would not give this so great pcs;it is kind of disappointing despite some great jumps but if it were not a world medallist this could get sewered. I would expect more fan reaction especilly since he trains in Canada during the performance (yes he got the love at the end) but this is not so great and I would rank clean skates from the Americans, Japanese boys and many others above this. It really is a second class performance to what we have seen in the past by many similar programs by others. (sorry because I like Javier generally - but yay for Carriere and Menshov - nice work and style!). Adam Rippon has it all; just has to put it together. Oh Canada you so need Patrick; none of these skaters give much hope and with Reynolds sidelined with bad skates and injury you are in trouble.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
without popped axel, Jarv SP can be in the mid 90+ range so its about right. I think he does improve alot over the past 2 years, and lets face it, he is the top european skater (male version of Kostner) so judges has to hype him. At least he doesn't bomb as much as Kostner.

Kazuko is no where near what he used to be interm of consistency. The only time he ever truly deliver to his potential was in 2011 world. Shame coz he is such a great skater, but i think most of his program are lovely, but boring and he doesn't engage the viewer, so the judges always low ball him.