2014 Skate Canada Mens SP 10/31 | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate Canada Mens SP 10/31

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I thought Javier´s sp has a fantastic choreography and he interprets this music so well. He has a costume on which some years ago was called on skating forums the uniform of the Canadian male singles skaters..., LOL. He looks just great with it and I hope it brings luck for him in this season !!!

But the performance of the night for me is Carriere. I kept telling my husband while watching, 'OH MY GOT! he nailed it! he nailed it!!' It's such moment that I love being a skating fan myself to see someone comes back strong after spending season after season filled with injuries, hardships and/or misfortunes. I can't help clapping hard for him/her with smile on my face. :yes:

WELCOME BACK 2007 World Junior Champion Stephen Carriere! :party2:

I'm with you ! Not only he seems to be definitely back at a high level but this was the best I ever seen him skate. Very glad and hope he keeps going in the LP.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I thought Javier´s sp has a fantastic choreography and he interprets this music so well. He has a costume on which some years ago was called on skating forums the uniform of the Canadian male singles skaters..., LOL. He looks just great with it and I hope it brings luck for him in this season !!!

I agree. Javier's SP is as cool as it gets. Jumps will come and certainly hit that quad.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm with you ! Not only he seems to be definitely back at a high level but this was the best I ever seen him skate. Very glad and hope he keeps going in the LP.

What a great skate by Stephen. Cleary one of the best, if not the best, spinners of the US Men. He's a pleasant and musical skater however, I want him to SHAVE !!!!!! He's so handsome, just like that Evan L. but I hate that faux beard look. It looks almost like a 5 o'clock shadow. Maybe he could darken it with some base or something. I don't know, maybe I should just get over it....Lol

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I just went over Javier's performance. You know really not so good. He can't sell the performance like Elvis despite being "hotter" according to most of you. He does not have the charisma of Candelero nor the edges and sharpness of Browning. In fact, I think Joubert would sell this far better. Really I would not give this so great pcs;it is kind of disappointing despite some great jumps but if it were not a world medallist this could get sewered. I would expect more fan reaction especilly since he trains in Canada during the performance (yes he got the love at the end) but this is not so great and I would rank clean skates from the Americans, Japanese boys and many others above this. It really is a second class performance to what we have seen in the past by many similar programs by others. (sorry because I like Javier generally - but yay for Carriere and Menshov - nice work and style!). Adam Rippon has it all; just has to put it together. Oh Canada you so need Patrick; none of these skaters give much hope and with Reynolds sidelined with bad skates and injury you are in trouble.

In this field in this competition, Javi is the most complete skater, 2A notwithstanding. His performance and energy are program appropriate, his technical difficulty the highest and his charisma most felt. He sold the program even if not perfect but closer to perfect than anybody else that day. His specialty is portrayal of dramatic iconic characters.

Carriere showed his skills but his choreo seemed to have nothing to do with the music. Ditto Aaron. Even Kozuka's program was just not much of a Tango even as he glided beautifully with even move. I like Rippon's program very much and hope he will skate well and sell his LP, which I found boring even though he skated very well in the Senior B event.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
I just went over Javier's performance. You know really not so good. He can't sell the performance like Elvis despite being "hotter" according to most of you. He does not have the charisma of Candelero nor the edges and sharpness of Browning. In fact, I think Joubert would sell this far better. Really I would not give this so great pcs;it is kind of disappointing despite some great jumps but if it were not a world medallist this could get sewered. I would expect more fan reaction especilly since he trains in Canada during the performance (yes he got the love at the end) but this is not so great and I would rank clean skates from the Americans, Japanese boys and many others above this. It really is a second class performance to what we have seen in the past by many similar programs by others. (sorry because I like Javier generally - but yay for Carriere and Menshov - nice work and style!). Adam Rippon has it all; just has to put it together. Oh Canada you so need Patrick; none of these skaters give much hope and with Reynolds sidelined with bad skates and injury you are in trouble.

Wow that's strange. You claim to like Javier but the comment I just read criticizing everything about his SP read more like you hate him. I had the exact opposite opinion. I can't stand watching programs with no sound (I was forced to yesterday because the tv at work with no sound was showing it in HD) and yet the program captivated me. I could "hear" the music through his skating despite the fact that I've never heard the music he was skating to. And that is truly impressive.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
In this field in this competition, Javi is the most complete skater, 2A notwithstanding. His performance and energy are program appropriate, his technical difficulty the highest and his charisma most felt. He sold the program even if not perfect but closer to perfect than anybody else that day. His specialty is portrayal of dramatic iconic characters.

Carriere showed his skills but his choreo seemed to have nothing to do with the music. Ditto Aaron. Even Kozuka's program was just not much of a Tango even as he glided beautifully with even move. I like Rippon's program very much and hope he will skate well and sell his LP, which I found boring even though he skated very well in the Senior B event.

there is something about Javier that would make his credibility laughable playing an iconic character that was too serious. He has amazing humour. He needs character that allow for some camp; he is not Toller Cranston or John Curry nor does he have the street cred (at least yet) of Kurt Browning.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Interesting tidbit of info from Craig Buntin's twitter: Aaron's quad in the SP was the fastest at 24kph/14.9mph :yes: He's up there with Chan and Hanyu, so yes, he is really damn fast! :laugh:
https://twitter.com/craigbuntin/status/528614122452422656

He means in SC or he means "of all time" because it's difficult to measure old videos about the quads, though.

Buntin's tweet was based on analysis of the Men's SP in Kelowna: Max's quad was the fastest :yay:. Fernandez was #2.

Buntin previously had applied his VeriSkate software to analyze the speeds of Chan and Hanyu.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Buntin's tweet was based on analysis of the Men's SP in Kelowna: Max's quad was the fastest :yay:. Fernandez was #2.
Buntin previously had applied his VeriSkate software to analyze the speeds of Chan and Hanyu.
WOW, interesting. Do you mind showing me the tweet he said about Chan and Hanyu's speeds? Thank you in advance.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
WOW, interesting. Do you mind showing me the tweet he said about Chan and Hanyu's speeds? Thank you in advance.

Meoima, see this GS post from the Men's SP thread for Skate Canada International:

In the interview with Craig Buntin, he talked a bit about looking at the speed of males skaters as they go into their quads. The example was last year's SC and as expected, Chan was the fastest in the competition at over 25 km/h. Hanyu was, if I remember correctly, just under 25. They also showed ice coverage, speed, time, and pattern of Chan's step sequence. Buntin also explained that the analysis would be shown during the slow motion replay and viewers would be able to compare the numbers between skaters to get a better understanding of why one skater did better technically than another. ...

Buntin has cited his analysis of Chan's speed more than once in various articles. But 'gecko's post is my first awareness of the measurement of Hanyu's speed.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
i wish there was a way of distinguishing all these great Japanese skaters from Dai to Hanyu to Kozuku to Mura to Machida they seem like anime or Korean or Japanese soap star types. I know there area lot of personal fans but to the average viewer they kind of look the same OTT soap stars or anime characters :) Good skaters though with dramatic hair.

I sometimes have trouble distinguishing all the great Caucasian skaters from each other. To the average viewer, they kind of look the same.

Meoima, see this GS post from the Men's SP thread for Skate Canada International:

Buntin has cited his analysis of Chan's speed more than once in various articles. But 'gecko's post is my first awareness of the measurement of Hanyu's speed.

Actually, Buntin analyzed the speed of all the male skaters that did a quad at last year's SC. He showed a list of skaters and their speed going into the quad so it wasn't just Chan and Hanyu. They just happened to be at the top of the list (since they were the fastest) and the only ones I happened to remembered.

lady_bee

Medalist
My grandmother, who was born in 1920's, lived in Japan's rural area and rarely seen Caucasians even on TV, was not able to distinguish between men and women if those great skaters were not in their costume:biggrin:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
i wish there was a way of distinguishing all these great Japanese skaters from Dai to Hanyu to Kozuku to Mura to Machida they seem like anime or Korean or Japanese soap star types. I know there area lot of personal fans but to the average viewer they kind of look the same OTT soap stars or anime characters :) Good skaters though with dramatic hair.

Really? I have always thought each has a distinctive style of skating.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Do you ever think that some people might find this offensive? Especially Asians.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I sometimes have trouble distinguishing all the great Caucasian skaters from each other. To the average viewer, they kind of look the same.
I am amused as I thought I am stupid for having problems with some Asian people. I suppose every bird knows better their kind LOL. I'm just joking. But there is just a little truth in it, in the end.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am amused as I thought I am stupid for having problems with some Asian people. I suppose every bird knows better their kind LOL. I'm just joking. But there is just a little truth in it, in the end.
Do you mind telling in which way Yuzuru Hanyu looks like Takahito Mura or Takahiko Kozuka? Or do you find it difficult to tell who is who between Daisuke Takahashi and Tatsuki Machida?