2015-16 Grand Prix Final Pairs Free Skate | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix Final Pairs Free Skate

whatif

Medalist
Yeah, with the way quad throws are still scored, they are perfectly fine hitting their other throws (and the 3-3-2 makes up for it).

Their clean 3F throw got 7.50 points to D/R's clean 4S throw with 8.06 points. The flip was executed much better, but that throw's base value should have at least been 4 points more.

The real question is if Stolbova/Klimov can replicate it but kudos to them on such a turnaround from not even medaling at Skate America to such a huge PB at the GPF.

NOPE, it was not clean.

Also, one thing about St/K is that they are very consistent. When they fail they do it consistently. When they are on, they keep it up for the rest of the season. Also they usually pick up later in the season.

liv

Record Breaker
S/K were on. They may not be everyone's cup of tea because they seem so distant from the audience, (mainly Ksenia), but the quality of their skating is undeniable... especially those landings on their throws. They may not be emotive/dramatic etc., but they are unique and I still enjoy them, especially when they skate like they did.

K/S. A horrible couple of jumps from her, but they still sold it and I loved it. I want to see it clean in boston.

D/R. A strong comeback in their free. I admire their determination as a pair to keep upping the ante, but my criticism is that nothing ever looks easy with them. What they do is as difficult as they make it look. I'm proud of how well they skated, though, after being 3rd after the sp.

S/B. Apart from one mistake, they were consistent again. Good for them. I feel like I can almost always depend upon them to deliver.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
NOPE, it was not clean.

Also, one thing about St/K is that they are very consistent. When they fail they do it consistently. When they are on, they keep it up for the rest of the season. Also they usually pick up later in the season.

What are you talking about? It was landed on one foot, fully rotated. You can say that it didn't have the quality of a good throw, but it was still a clean throw. Same goes for Kav/Smi's 4S throw - not the greatest quality but still clean.

It's sad that V/T have had two-footed throws and throws with hands down -- which are NOT clean throws -- but it scores positive/higher GOE than those two particular 4S throws from D/R and Kav/Smir.

Last edited:

whatif

Medalist
What are you talking about? It was landed on one foot, fully rotated. You can say that it didn't have the quality of a good throw, but it was still a clean throw. Same goes for Kav/Smi's 4S throw - not the greatest quality but still clean.

Clean means +GOE territory, which this was not. You don't have to fall to get a -GOE on the element.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I liked Seguin/Bilodeau a lot. I wonder if they Th 3Lz was new in their program or it was just a mistake. Juliane position in the air was not good. But other than that they were close to perfect. Their chemistry is amazing. They are my new favourite Canadian team.
St/K deserved to win, but the scores were super inflated, not only in their case.

whatif

Medalist
Very quick-witted☺

But to be honest. I would almost give S/K a 10.00 in Interpretation...

Well, the PCS gap in general between D/R and the other top 3 teams in this competition should be at least 5 points. In the case of S/K, ti should be in 10 point territory. I would only give TR score above 8, the rest should be 7.5-ish.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Clean means +GOE territory, which this was not. You don't have to fall to get a -GOE on the element.

Um, not to state the super obvious, but +GOE does NOT equate to "clean" elements.

+GOE equates to quality elements, and even then, it's not always the case.

Plenty of elements with actual errors (e.g. V/T's and other pairs' two-footed or hand-down throws... Mao's 2-footed triple axels... some 3-3 combos with a turn in between) have still received +GOE. Luca and Anna's twizzles in the GPF SD got mostly +2's and +1's even though he did an extra rotation than her - which is definitely an error.

Plenty of elements landed on one foot and with sufficient rotation haven't gotten +GOE.

+GOE does not equal clean. Just like -GOE doesn't mean the element wasn't clean (going by what the vast majority of the skating world considers clean).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Very quick-witted☺

But to be honest. I would almost give S/K a 10.00 in Interpretation...

Heck no. Sorry. She is stone-faced throughout a ton of that program. Although I will say that Fedor's interpretation was VASTLY improved from how he's performed this program before.

10.00 is perfect interpretation and I could point out a slew of moments in that program with poor/no interpretation (as I could with every pair).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well, the PCS gap in general between D/R and the other top 3 teams in this competition should be at least 5 points. In the case of S/K, ti should be in 10 point territory. I would only give TR score above 8, the rest should be 7.5-ish.

Aw come on now whatif, the top 3 teams weren't that bad to merit that PCS gap from D/R!

I mean, if D/R scored 70, I would give Stolbova/Klimov much more than 60 points, and Kavaguti/Smirnov + Seguin/Bilodeau would deserve more than 65. I also disagree with you that Stolbova/Klimov deserve a TR score above 8, with the rest around 7.5 -- they were at least 8.25. :biggrin:

Be fair now. :laugh:

Last edited:

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
I agree, they don't need a quad when they nail the 3-3-2. Ksenia would have made a very good solo skater. Impressive. The program is very good, the skating is gorgeous but it still feels somehow empty to me, I hope they can improve their chemistry.
I really liked Seguin/Bilodeau, they have chemistry. I bet they'll challenge Duhamel/Radford in the future.

Ksenia and Fedor have a bittersweet relationship actually:laugh: When Fedor makes mistakes, Ksenia is so harsh to him. When the opposite happens, Fedor hugs her. I remember reading something like they aren't hanging out together so much. It's clear that they are not so close personally. Still it's amazing how they produce something high quality together! I love them as they are.

jg2000

On the Ice
Aw come on now whatif, the top 3 teams weren't that bad to merit that PCS gap from D/R!

I mean, if D/R scored 70, I would give Stolbova/Klimov much more than 60 points, and Kavaguti/Smirnov + Seguin/Bilodeau would deserve more than 65. I also disagree with you that Stolbova/Klimov deserve a TR score above 8, with the rest around 7.5 -- they were at least 8.25. :biggrin:

Be fair now. :laugh:

If D/R scored 70, I'd give S/K a 76 ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
ISU stream now is showing Julianne and Charlie being interviewed. :)

By Pj Kwong in English.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Ksenia and Fedor have a bittersweet relationship actually:laugh: When Fedor makes mistakes, Ksenia is so harsh to him. When the opposite happens, Fedor hugs her. I remember reading something like they aren't hanging out together so much. It's clear that they are not so close personally. Still it's amazing how they produce something high quality together! I love them as they are.

+ 1

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Stolbova/Klimov's win here reminded me of Totmianina/Marinin winning in Turin.

They definitely deserved to win. They were by far the cleanest. They had the difficulty. I could appreciate the athleticism and quality of their elements. But the programs were just kinda meh for me, and there was such a coldness and methodical nature to their free program and their skating in general.

I am, however, thrilled that this isn't a cake walk for D/R anymore as many seemed to think. Rivalries are good for the sport, and make it way more interesting. I'm also glad that Stolbova/Klimov seem to be genuinely happy again (haha, and Fedor lives another day, lol...). :biggrin: