2015 Cup of China Short Dance | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2015 Cup of China Short Dance

icedance

On the Ice
Does anyone know more details about this?

“It was an unexpected, quite bad fall in the warm up, we both hit our heads. We feel it really affected our performance which was clean, but way below what we could have put out there. We relied on the training and were able to get through it”, Cappellini said.

caitie

Medalist
Thanks. So the teams collided in the short dance warm up? Was that why Kaitlin Hawayek looked so out of sorts after they skated?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Yes, C/B's twizzle was not perfect but, overall, they were the only ice-dancers who looked like they were actually performing ballroom dances _ Foxtrot and Waltz _ style and expression. I agree with the technical score though it was a little harsh but the PCS score was right on the money. The Choreography combined/merged ice-dance technical elements and the dances' elemental characteristics seamlessly.

I see the C/B haters are giving you grief for this, but I completely agree with you. Bates in particular has a real flair for ballroom. Who knew? I have complete faith that Igor will address the technical issues, but the dance as a whole is truly in the style of ballroom and, yes, seamless.

Astrid56

Final Flight
I see the C/B haters are giving you grief for this, but I completely agree with you. Bates in particular has a real flair for ballroom. Who knew? I have complete faith that Igor will address the technical issues, but the dance as a whole is truly in the style of ballroom and, yes, seamless.

I understand their attitudes/feelings! Anyway, they are entitled to express their opinions _ no beef about that! As regards Bates, he is quite a dancer and in this particular SD, he was wonderful. I sort of felt they would be dinged technically but not by that much. Very surprised about that. I particularly liked their first FD to Chopin and the last FD to 'An American in Paris'. Anyway, I hope Igor will address the technical issue that prompted the dismal score.

tvuckic16

Final Flight
Thanks. So the teams collided in the short dance warm up? Was that why Kaitlin Hawayek looked so out of sorts after they skated?

Who knows... she did look a little dizzy right after. They should be careful. Hitting your head is never to be taken lightly.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Thanks to the folks who post all the videos! Interesting viewing, and I think a little of a "let down" after Skate Canada. C/L completely deserved to be in 1st place. They were the class of the field. They understand the nuances of the music, and interpret them together. They were fluid, sure, and with some good edges. H/B and I/Z have better edges, but all things put together, C/L were the best overall. C/B are fortunate they are in a relatively weaker competition. They did not look strong. I agree with those who say he has good ballroom form, but I didn't feel the waltz from them and they did not relate to each other very well in that. The twizzles were really just a "one off" mistake, so that will be fine in the future. But I really do not like this dance very well. It does not have the complexity of others, and definitely did not deserve the high marks for PCS. I/Z had more speed, good flow, and really, really nice edges. But that was a hot mess when compared to the requirement of the waltz. I know it's late in the season, but they need to find themselves a proper waltz. I like Queen, but I think this has way more possibilities for them as a FD. (I think she wins the prize for the most beautiful dress of the night. Illynyk and then Testa.) Also really liked H/B. He has mad skating skills. Beautiful edges and great ballroom feel as well. It is not as smooth and fast as the 1st three teams, but definitely they are looking improved. I am interested to see how these 2 develop over the course of the season. Hopefully she gets some sleep. Jetlag is no fun.

So far this season:

W/P: the best version of a waltz. Right in the comfort zone, and will be absolutely sublime as the months roll on. This will ooze class and elegance.
Shibs: really, really love their skate, and think it is miles ahead of what C/B have this season
C/L: skating skills, edges etc not as good as the other 2, but definitely really nice and in the right waltz zone
C/B and I/Z: I can't decide which I like better. I/Z are great skaters, but don't think they meet the requirement of the SD. C/B are better at meeting the requirement of the SD (although that's debatable), but I don't think they relate as well to the music or each other. She has a ways to go to find the ballroom groove.

tvuckic16

Final Flight
Well, if HB issue is just jetlag, that's ok, but if Kaitlin was dizzy because she hit her head, that should be taken seriously and they should be careful. I love this team and want them to be healthy for the long-term.

I also think Russian Nationals will be really interesting this year, with BS, IZ and SK scoring fairly similarly in the SD - roughly 64, 63, 62 respectively, not on home turf. We'll see what IZ score for their FD, I suspect they will score higher than BS and SK, but by how much? Right now SK lead BS in FD scoring in the GrandPrix. What this means to me is that Russian Nationals might be pretty close and any of those three teams could potentially come up with first place. I still think it will be IZ, I expect a very good score for them tomorrow, but I don't think SK and BS will be too far behind.

Astrid56

Final Flight
Oh dear. Something must've went wrong.

About C/B's keypoints, their badly disguised 6/8 waltz is hurting them badly.

By the way, they foxtrot to 'More' which was a 4/4 (simple quadruple meter - counted 1, 2, 3, 4: the first beat receives an accent and the third beat receives a secondary accent) while their 'Unchained Melody' was to 12/8 (a quadruple compound meter_counted 1-2-3, 4-5-6, 7-8-9, 10-11-12). Anyway, I think, the ISU is more concerned with the rhythm, not the time signature here. Foxtrot is done to 4/4 while Waltz to 3/4. Given this rhythmical pattern, C/B's music is OK. Also, note, some 3/4 music are not waltzable at all.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
They had a collision with H/B, but I don't know if it was on a lift. ....

What is the basis for saying that Anna/Luca had a collision with H/B??

Sounds as if Anna and Luca both hit their heads, the way the ISU recap is written.
FWIW, when mentioning H/B, the ISU recap says nothing about a collision.

Excerpts:

Dancing to Waltz and Polka from “The Merry Widow”, Cappellini/Lanotte produced level-four twizzles and a level-four rotational lift. The 2014 World Champions collected a level three for the Waltz pattern and the partial step sequence to score 66.39 points. “It was an unexpected, quite bad fall in the warm up, we both hit our heads. We feel it really affected our performance which was clean, but way below what we could have put out there. We relied on the training and were able to get through it”, Cappellini said.

Kaitlyn Hawayek/Jean-Luc Baker (USA) are ranked fourth at 58.35 points followed by Federica Testa/Lukas Csolley (SVK) with 53.90 points.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wow, so underwhelming yet exciting. CL stil don't to me have the top notch skills and ditto for C and B who were given pcs like they were part of a give away. I and Z really need to go full out and execute cleanly even if their program is maybe not the best they should rework the march. I woluld have the top 3 teams closer together. I think this year none of the top teams C/L, C/B. W/P, either are not nearly as good as P/C or what I fear are all worthy of silver but no gold. And the Russians - interesting indeed who is Russia no. 1 and they could be shooting themselves in the foot and put all the other teams ahead of the say in 1 to 4 then leting the two Russians team kind of in no man's land. Because they did so poorly last year S and K would logically not be the best choice you would think for Russia 1 but still it is unclear. None of them have amazing programs. This may be the year of lacklustre programs and mediocre skills and you can only take so much over emoting OTT skaitn from Madison.

tvuckic16

Final Flight
What is the basis for saying that Anna/Luca had a collision with H/B??

Sounds as if Anna and Luca both hit their heads, the way the ISU recap is written.
FWIW, when mentioning H/B, the ISU recap says nothing about a collision.

Excerpts:

Dancing to Waltz and Polka from “The Merry Widow”, Cappellini/Lanotte produced level-four twizzles and a level-four rotational lift. The 2014 World Champions collected a level three for the Waltz pattern and the partial step sequence to score 66.39 points. “It was an unexpected, quite bad fall in the warm up, we both hit our heads. We feel it really affected our performance which was clean, but way below what we could have put out there. We relied on the training and were able to get through it”, Cappellini said.

Kaitlyn Hawayek/Jean-Luc Baker (USA) are ranked fourth at 58.35 points followed by Federica Testa/Lukas Csolley (SVK) with 53.90 points.

Maybe they didn't, but I saw posts about it on this thread.... it's better if not true.

slider11

Medalist
Oh boy....it's a miracle this doesn't happen more. Kaitlin did seem not herself. She mentioned in the K and C that she had only 3 hours a sleep. That long with a collision may have affected her. She looked pale and shakey at the end and she seemed to be holding her rib cage. I hope this doesn't affect their FD.
I tuned into the broadcast during the second group, and the commentators were talking about how there was a mild collision during the warm up between Hawayek and Baker and Capellini and Lanotte, so that probably contributed to Kaitlins pain during the SD.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Oh boy....it's a miracle this doesn't happen more. Kaitlin did seem not herself. She mentioned in the K and C that she had only 3 hours a sleep. That long with a collision may have affected her. She looked pale and shakey at the end and she seemed to be holding her rib cage. I hope this doesn't affect their FD.

I tuned into the broadcast during the second group, and the commentators were talking about how there was a mild collision during the warm up between Hawayek and Baker and Capellini and Lanotte, so that probably contributed to Kaitlins pain during the SD.

Thx, slider. I had missed the post from zebobes about the collision, so I am glad that you brought it to my attention.

I agree that the collision perhaps was responsible for Kaitlin's shakiness, which was apparent to me too. (And I was impressed that Jean Luc was extremely supportive of her.)

What remains unclear to me is whether the collision involved Kaitlin hitting her head.

It is clear from the ISU recap that at the very least, Anna hit her own head during the warm-up. But when Anna said, "We ...," I don't know whether she meant Luca or Kaitlin or ??

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
Here are my takes from the SD: Elena and Ruslan - great presentation but what's with that music! Kaitilin and Jean-Luc - really like this team but I'm not sure Kaitlin is best portrayed as a ballerina. It's getting better but maybe a simpler dress would help Kaitlin. Really hoping she can shake off whatever bothered her in the SD (lack of sleep, illness, shaken from practice collision) and put out an amazing FD. Anna and Luca- they were good and deserve first! Madison and Evan - beautiful blue dress, Madison. Predictions: 1. Anna/Luca 2. Madison/Evan 3. Kaitlin/Jean-Luc (dig deep!)

Astrid56

Final Flight
I think the placement will change after the FDs. If C/B don't mess up their twizzle, the placements will be reversed. Also, I think, Ruslena has the chance to move up if they skate clean. I love C/L's FD but the Russians have a great non-traditional FD.

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Voizehovskaya (Russian journalist) wrote that Hawayek got food poisoning the day before the SD and even missed the morning practice. That explains why she had 3 hours of sleep only and looked dizzy. Poor kid! I hope she is better now!