2015 NHK Free Dance | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2015 NHK Free Dance

Plisskin

Medalist
I like H/D's FD but I do think that they need to do what the Shibs did after Nepala and add a different tempo to the music to bring some sort of crescendo to the program. Tron Legacy has other good songs on the OST that they can blend in well with their current music to make their FD not so one note. It's just too same-y right now. And maybe they should consider changing that 2nd lift? It's been a struggle all season so far. They even struggled with it in the Gala...

Last edited:

lmarie086

Medalist
Congrats to the medalists! I do think some of the scores were a little high here, but I agree with the placements.

I just love the Shibs' FD this season. A powerful performance here, and it wasn't even 100% perfect. So happy to see them really making a move this season.

Bobrova/Soloviev have wonderful programs this year (and she especially is great at presenting the story), and it's really nice to see them coming back from his injury so well. I've warmed up to them more this season, but I will always wish that her posture could be better. It just breaks up the pictures that they make.

I also really like Hubbell/Donohue's FD. I do prefer their SD of the two programs, but the FD is a step in the right direction. It's great to see what they're capable of when they're actually able to train fully, and that combined with the coaching change is making a real difference this season. The FD does need more balance between light and shade, so I hope they make some changes before Nationals because I think the program could be stronger. There were some bobbles here but it was a good performance, and a good one to build on for the rest of the season. I just ask that Madison gets a better dress for the FD because the latest one is not flattering whatsoever.

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Look, Hub?Don have skated this kind of program before--and better.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVdyLMH65j0

That's a far more interesting program, choreographically speaking, than the Moth Dance of Death, which is too one note (it lacks changes in light and shade, tempo, emotionality). I think the move to Montreal didn't necessarily improve them so much as give them a new impetus. As did Madi's surgery/healed body. So I think what you're seeing is the upside of a refreshed commitment. And good for them. I like them. I actually like them quite a bit. And D/L did do one thing that is a definite improvement: they have choreographed to emphasize their line, which is probably their greatest strength. Last year's hiphopfest was just all wrong. So at least they're moving in a better direction, even if I think D/L are very very limited choreographers.

WeakAnkles, I'm not prepared to call D/L very, very limited choreographers, but I agree with everything else you said. I think H/Ds Nocturne/Bohemian Rhapsody program is far superior to this season's FD, musically and choreographically. Both M/Z are extremely strong skaters and this has not miraculously occurred since the move to Montreal. The reasons you outline likely play a major role in their improvement. In viewing the video something else is quite obvious. Zach is way fitter now than he was two seasons ago and this has to impact the quality of the execution of a four minute FD, particularly in the later stages.

Last edited:

blancanieves

On the Ice
did not watch the whole FD thing live BUT went with my strong will this time and didn't go first to results page but rewatch whole FD from places 6 to 1 <proud><did not spoil>:cheer:

This FD...it looks good, it makes a good impression but I feel that this music is too big for them and for this choreography. Whereas there is a constant building of drama in music, I can't see it in their dance. For me, the movement of arms has to be more profound and sharp and all accents/changes in music have to be more visible

I agree. The original program concept H/D debuted in the summer was somewhat darker, which suited the music. They've made the strategic decision to lighten the FD mood, and as a result I think the choreography is a bit out of synch with the "constant building of drama" quality of the music. I can see that the aim is to highlight flow, but the overall movement is being restricted to too narrow parameters in order to achieve that smoothness. The choreo needs more contrast/variety to better reflect, and not lose, the full character/energy of each music change.

I hope they keep working to hit the right dynamic.

Plisskin

Medalist
Anyone have a link to this interview?
If your not Geo blocked or have Hola you can view the interview here at the end of the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJqyBss9bJw

Alex didn't really say much in Japanese. He just said "I'm sorry I don't understand Japanese. I'm stupid". The audience laughed. :laugh: For some reason I thought Alex and Maia were like Mirai and understood plus spoke Japanese but I guess I was wrong.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
WeakAnkles, I'm not prepared to call D/L very, very limited choreographers, but I agree with everything else you said. I think H/Ds Nocturne/Bohemian Rhapsody program is far superior to this season's FD, musically and choreographically. Both M/Z are extremely strong skaters and this has not miraculously occurred since the move to Montreal. The reasons you outline likely play a major role in their improvement. In viewing the video something else is quite obvious. Zach is way fitter now than he was two seasons ago and this has to impact the quality of the execution of a four minute FD, particularly in the later stages.

I can't argue with 90% of this, but I do think D/L are limited. Look at all of their FDs this year. They recycle moves (my "favorite" is the three revolution dance spiral for lack of better term--Mr Techie I am not!). They use the same type of music over and over (gee, how many FDs this year D/L and not one Latin program? or tango? or anything other than "introspective/romantic"?). Doris has pointed out they recycle lifts THEY used when competing. I guess it's economical, but it sure doesn't make for interesting choreography. VERY limited mood range: sweet/pretty, introspective/pretty, romantic/pretty. After two or three of their programs, I just want to go out and see, I don't know, the Chippendale strippers, if only for a change of pace!

Hey I like pretty as much as the next uber dance fan, but too much pretty can get on my nerves! :)

ETA: And good call on Zach. You're right; he is fitter. And it does show. I think he's the stronger of the two.

But again, this is all just, in the immortal words of Dave and Jenny, "in my opinion."

Last edited:

blancanieves

On the Ice
I just ask that Madison gets a better dress for the FD because the latest one is not flattering whatsoever.

Me too. Unfortunately, I don't think the dress works on any level, aesthetically or contributing to the FD concept. The front of the skirt is too short, the back is too long. The wings, this time around, look far less "angelic" than moth-like thanks to the color scheme and odd shape. White on ice, is not very photogenic, and white spandex wreaks nightmares for 99% of the population. Oh well.

Last edited:

robredo40

On the Ice
I thought the scoring was too generous for the fd here , none of these programs were as difficult or challenging like W&P and C&L.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If your not Geo blocked or have Hola you can view the interview here at the end of the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJqyBss9bJw

Alex didn't really say much in Japanese. He just said "I'm sorry I don't understand Japanese. I'm stupid". The audience laughed. :laugh: For some reason I thought Alex and Maia were like Mirai and understood plus spoke Japanese but I guess I was wrong.

Geoblocked in US. FWIW, I thought the same thing that you did, that the Shibs had some fluency in Japanese, until others on this Board told me otherwise. Since I cannot speak one word of Japanese, they are ahead of me, but then again I do not have Japanese ancestry...

Astrid56

Final Flight
I thought the scoring was too generous for the fd here , none of these programs were as difficult or challenging like W&P and C&L.
I think the Shibs have a technically challenging program and I have to say the program is reminiscent of P/C's 2014 FD. I don't think it truly interpret's Coldplay's musical theme but the movements suit the music. I am so looking forward to seeing the GP Ice-dance competition in Barcelona - what the judging will be like because the entries are so varied -- so different that the judging will no doubt lean heavily on the judges' preferences and mindsets.

Speaking of technical elements, C/L_dancing-wise_ appears more technical. The Shibs and W/P are more technical_ ice-dance-wise.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
So glad Alex and Maia are getting good results! I actually like their short dance. It's very kooky but it works for me (though it kind of reminds me of Marie Osmond's "doll dance" free style from Dancing with the Stars).

Last edited:

robredo40

On the Ice
Astrid i don`t agree the shibs step sequences are weak and not difficult, less transitions than Weaver and Poje head to head its really glaring.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So glad Alex and Maia are getting good results! I actually like their short dance. It's very kooky but it works for me (though it kind of reminds me of Marie Osmond's "doll dance" free style from Dancing with the Stars).

Bite your tongue about Marie Osmond's freestyle, the worst freestyle ever on DWTS. In these doll dances, the doll has to "come to life" and start really dancing/skating for the majority of the performance. Marie never did. Thank goodness, Maia does.

I really like both of the Shib's programs this year. I think they're their best programs in years, maybe ever.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Bite your tongue about Marie Osmond's freestyle, the worst freestyle ever on DWTS. In these doll dances, the doll has to "come to life" and start really dancing/skating for the majority of the performance. Marie never did. Thank goodness, Maia does.

I really like both of the Shib's programs this year. I think they're their best programs in years, maybe ever.

:laugh2: It's so bad, I love it! I've never laughed so hard. A hot, hot mess...

dcnative

On the Ice
Too soon to tell. Igor is no dummy. I will bet cold hard cash that he's rechoreographed the step sequences and Chock & Bates are working their butts off. And don't underestimate them--they've only been together a fraction of the time the Shibs have.

I'm a big fan of BOTH them and the Shibs. Nationals is going to be wonderfully suspenseful.

I was thinking about this as well. Chock and Bates have not been together long, compared to the field, so theoretically, they will have a much higher apex than the other teams.

whatif

Medalist
There is something different about Shibutanis this season. Can't really put my finger on it, especially him.
Shibutanis biggest strength are their programmes, particularly FD. Tchernyshev delivered yet again. Who said Russians can only choreograph OTT stuff?
C/B, in contrast, still look a bit "generic". They need that WOW programme. It's so important in Dance, just look at last year's winner.

But besides the skaters themselves, it's also a battle of two rival coaches, behind the scene. This season can tell us who is better at that game too.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Finally had the chance to watch videos of the event. It is kind of fun to compare what I saw to some of the gushing and criticisms in this thread.
Shibs: absolutely gorgeous

B/S: I don't get this team, never have never will. That FD lift where she squats on his thigh is just beyond ugly. Nice to know that the "but they are Russian" score boosters still work. But props to them for battling back after injuries.

H/D: I read so many negatives about this dance that I was pleasantly surprised. They hit some beautiful poses and extensions. Their skating seems bigger this year. It was quite lovely but agree with the British Eurosport guys, it just needs something to send it another level (kind of like how the change the Shibs made to their music made the dance better). I think by Nationals it is going to be awesome.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
There is something different about Shibutanis this season. Can't really put my finger on it, especially him.
Shibutanis biggest strength are their programmes, particularly FD. Tchernyshev delivered yet again. Who said Russians can only choreograph OTT stuff?
C/B, in contrast, still look a bit "generic". They need that WOW programme. It's so important in Dance, just look at last year's winner.

But besides the skaters themselves, it's also a battle of two rival coaches, behind the scene. This season can tell us who is better at that game too.

Hmm, perhaps we should mention all the years Tchernyshev spent in the US skating with his American partner...

Just sayin'... ;)