2015 World Team Trophy Ladies FS Apr 18 | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2015 World Team Trophy Ladies FS Apr 18

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie should skate to the music that suits her personality. Only then, if she fails, I'd call her a "headcase". Now, she is more of "PPP" (Pretty Princess Prisoner) for me.

#freeGracie

Right now i'd call her a headcase. She just can't get it done when it counts. I guess she's one of those skaters that will never skate a clean competition but heck even Alissa managed to skate clean in a couple events so i can't understand why Gracie can't do the same. It's a shame too because she's probably the best pure skater out there right now.

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I just watched the top 5 skaters and I must say, that I think they judged Ashley rather harshly. The pre-rotation on the 3S wasn't that much and I can't see why she got the edge call plus the underrotation on the second 3Lz. But I guess she should go for two 3F's instead of two 3Lz's next season, she can keep 3Lz-3T, but I guess she could score more using 3F-3T.
Elizaveta's 3A was great, she's obviously trying to do it in competition as often as possible. And she didn't have to do more today, well she popped two jumps, but that didn't really matter. I think that it's good for her to practise the 3a in competition as often as possible.
And of course, Satako was a pleasure to watch. And I really like her 2A-3T.

lefeury

Rinkside
Ashleys scores were low so that Gracie could be crowned US no 1, however Gracie didn't do that. the judges seem to be frothing at the mouth to get her a win, politics? I don't get it. I don't like it either.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So happy for TEam USA and s and k who probably gets the least love and the way things were scheduled and played out they got the gold for Team USA but then again who would have thought Gracie and Ashley would falter so badly after having a huge lead. Yes, they held on but barely. I feel bad for k and s if this is the end in a good way to go though I would have given them higher pcs and ironically they would have then won team gold for Russia as they were close to S and K. but one team's agony is another team's joy. Likewise really happy for the Americans and Max but a bit sad for Adam Rippon. Farris at least knew he was u nlikely to go as he was usa no. 3 but Adam didn't get to go, didn't get the gold or the money and I understand the money is bigger for wtt then Adam going to world's. Now what will happen if next year Adam is fourth and Max is second - of course there is no WTT but say in two years. Just kind of sad. I know it is kind of negative but I do try to think of the other perspective. Still happy for Max though either program was a complete success. Jason did USA proud but before we get all pumped up remember he was the second seed if you followed world's. I feel bad for K and S who did not skate well and cost the Russian team gold - well you could blame it on the men or eventhe ladies short but really they underperformed. C and P free dance is wonderful but overhyped and marked again compared to C and b or W and P. W and P hopefully will be motivated. I and Z h ave real issues technically - they got beat by the Chinese in the freedance technically and they need more work on their skating skills - they have potential but the tech looks like a huge problem. Gold and wagner looked to have a good competition and really were no different than usual. I guess Gold looks like she is USA no. 1 but they will jump back and forth probably. S and K are probably the biggest winners - looks like with retirements they are top 5 stuff though depending on what happens with S and K from Russia and V and T. Nam didn't have a great competition which is sad. Overall Canada was flat and a huge disappointment. Team USA did what it had to win. Russia's men and pairs underperformed. france - well their ladies do not look good at all and we had hope for Mete at one time but she really does not look like a game player at all right now. Sui and Han showed they are probably the next world champions though bravo to Eric and Megan for competing with Eric's illness.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I just watched the LP videos and my favorite performance was Satoko's. Her skating reminds me of Carolina Kostner, minus the jumps. :) Why is her PCS so low? But then again, PCS don't make sense these days.

Liza's 3A was just awesome. :)
Too bad Gracie didn't skate clean, she would've beat Liza in both short and LP.
Also, agree with comments on Ashley's score. She deserved a little bit more, IMO.

jagragold

On the Ice
Ashleys scores were low so that Gracie could be crowned US no 1, however Gracie didn't do that. the judges seem to be frothing at the mouth to get her a win, politics? I don't get it. I don't like it either.
I don't think it's politics. Gracie skates well, just look at the air position in her jumps and the length of them. Also she's good at spins and footwork. Once she lands her jumps cleanly, she'll be 1st no doubt. She's very complete.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think it's politics. Gracie skates well, just look at the air position in her jumps and the length of them. Also she's good at spins and footwork. Once she lands her jumps cleanly, she'll be 1st no doubt. She's very complete.

Complete in every way but competing. That's what's so frustrating she should be winning competitions left and right but keeps blowing it. Some skaters aren't meant for competition i guess. Just look at Jeremy or Alissa.

Matilda

Medalist

I call it FCP--Frank Carroll Points--which pretty much equals USA Number One Points. Politicking is the nasty side of figure skating that would have made me stop watching figure skating a long time ago, if I didn't love the sport itself so much. Props to the skaters who keep working so hard although they know the politics may/will interfere.

Ashley was on fire today and definitely deserved higher PCS today, and the break on TES that some other skaters got (I'd be fine with her score if the techinal caller had been consistent). Luckily she's usually not one to get discouraged, but rather just get motivated to work harder. She's a fighter!

Liza's 3A was simply breathtaking and she skated almost clean--she deserves her win. What an amazing, but gruellingly long season she has had! I hope she gets a good rest now and comes back next season with renewed energy and great programs! I'm also interested to see Elena's new programs--I love that girl's spirit and smile! :)

So, on to the long off-season we go. Let the splits and speculations begin! :p

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The way everyone was behaving I thought Gracie did a 4CC, but it wasn't that bad.

No but she needs to show just once she can skate a clean competition if she wants to get to the top and she keeps coming up short not because others are better but because she doesn't put it together. Three years now on the Senior circuit and she still hasn't skated a clean SP and LP in the same event. And it's not that she just makes one mistake but she makes numerous ones especially in the LP. If she had come back after the fall on the opening combo and skated clean she still would have finished top 3 in the LP easily but once she makes a mistake they just start coming one after the other. On another note i do have to say that her footwork sequence has really gone up a notch and was great here. I don't remember her footwork being this good before.

Last edited:
I don't think so, about the politics angle. What do the international judges care if this girl or that is U.S. number 1 (to quote Mrs. Tarasova regarding the 1998 Olympics)? What do they care what Frank Carroll thinks?

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I don't think so, about the politics angle. What do the international judges care if this girl or that is U.S. number 1 (to quote Mrs. Tarasova regarding the 1998 Olympics)? What do they care what Frank Carroll thinks?

It's just reputation, this person is the best from this country sounds a lot better than this person is the second best from this country. Also having a "brand name" coach also adds onto reputation.

Either way, people who have seen Gracie in real life say that she covers a lot of ice and has a lot speed, might not be super obvious to us who aren't there but I'm sure it's a big factor in why her scores aren't hit that hard when she botches jumps. It's different from someone like Ashley, when she has an off performance (eg Worlds this year), her speed and SS aren't up to par so they suffer too which hits her PCS.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Complete in every way but competing. That's what's so frustrating she should be winning competitions left and right but keeps blowing it. Some skaters aren't meant for competition i guess. Just look at Jeremy or Alissa.

Jeremy and Alissa have/had significant technical problems which made it more likely that they would have a bad skate. Alissa was on the hairy edge of UR, and her jump edges were a problem. Jeremy has a tendency to pop and lose spin levels. At bedt, his spins are not a strong point. Gracie's technical problems, other than a lip, are not large. I hope she gets it together. This year overall, she was stronger than last year. There is hope.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jeremy and Alissa have/had significant technical problems which made it more likely that they would have a bad skate. Alissa was on the hairy edge of UR, and her jump edges were a problem. Jeremy has a tendency to pop and lose spin levels. At bedt, his spins are not a strong point. Gracie's technical problems, other than a lip, are not large. I hope she gets it together. This year overall, she was stronger than last year. There is hope.

Do you think Gracie was stronger this year? I think she had a better year last season. She had exactly 2 clean programs all season this year at NHK SP and WTT SP and that's it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Do you think Gracie was stronger this year? I think she had a better year last season. She had exactly 2 clean programs all season this year at NHK SP and WTT SP and that's it.

I think Doris is looking at it from a mentality standpoint and less the results. Her results were certainly better in some ways last year, but I think she was really coming from a low place -- Olympic season hangover, injury, etc. I think at Natiomals she held herself quite well considering Ashley basically snatched the title. And here, while she did not do well, she really fought her way though.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But she has to start skating to clean or near clean programs to start winning and she still doesn't seem to be able to hold it together. She even admitted she was nervous because her skate was going to determine the placements and again she couldn't push her nerves away when it counted.

Alba

Record Breaker
Either way, people who have seen Gracie in real life say that she covers a lot of ice and has a lot speed, might not be super obvious to us who aren't there but I'm sure it's a big factor in why her scores aren't hit that hard when she botches jumps. It's different from someone like Ashley, when she has an off performance (eg Worlds this year), her speed and SS aren't up to par so they suffer too which hits her PCS.

Gracie indeed has speed and covers a lot of ice. To me this is obvious even on TV.
Wagner's SS aren't up to par even when she skates very well. She is a great performer, but her SS are weak.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I call it FCP--Frank Carroll Points--which pretty much equals USA Number One Points. Politicking is the nasty side of figure skating that would have made me stop watching figure skating a long time ago, if I didn't love the sport itself so much. Props to the skaters who keep working so hard although they know the politics may/will interfere.

:points: Many thanks Matilda for saying it for me. :)

Liza's gutsy 3A! :cool: Ashley's FIRE! :rock: Radio has matured, both of her skating and herself, so much in a season! :love:

Hanmgse

Record Breaker

Sad but true :cry: . But I still believe in her.