2016-17 GPF Short Dance | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2016-17 GPF Short Dance

Norenn

Spectator
V/M were amazing ! Well deserved placement and score. They definitly have the best SD this year. And I agree with some of you, I don't like her bodysuit either, there's too much going on.

P/C seemed so tensed ! Guillaume especially needs to get his serenity back. You're a fantastic skater, skate with pride - remember that perfect twizzle just right in front of the judges in last year SD at worlds ? All that skate was full of confidence.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I haven't watched any of it yet--my schedule this year is making me miss so much of the GPF!--but I'm not altogether surprised at the placements. P/C have always struggled with the SD and V/M usually slay them. Plus, P/C haven't been challenged the last two years, and now they are. It's not a shock if there are considerable nerves involved. What I am surprised about is to see C/B in last place. But I'll have to wait for the videos to be posted to take a look.

Really, given the level of talent in all of the disciplines, the GPF should extend the entries to the top 10 skaters/teams. It would make for an even more exciting experience.

bramweld

Record Breaker
P/C, seem to be psyching themselves out, they're too tense. I actually thought B/S would be above C/B this competition, too many mistakes from either Madison or Evan these last couple of seasons especially under high pressure situations.

Odd music choices aside really good competition going on looking forward to the free, anything could happen.

But I really want V/M to win their first GPF title:yahoo:

rosy14

Final Flight
Virtue/Moir: simply amazing.
Shibs: finally their superior te hnique is rewarded, even though they would have got level 5 for their twizzles.
Papadakis/Cizeron: something happened between Paris and Sapporo, and judges have finally seen the light, that is they are not at all the best trchnically. It has always showed in SD, except in Worlds (when everything was already decided), and also in the FD, but judges were distracted, perhaps by Cizeron's impressive body:))
Chock/Bates: I'm sorry for them, this year I appreciate their programmes much more than last year. They were always a bit over scored in PCS in these two last sasons, but it's not the first time they make big mistakes in the most important competitions.
Bobrova/Soloviev: I like it a lot this year, their SD more than FD. I find her especially beutiful to look at.
Hubbel/Donohe: perhaps it's the first time I liked them. They skted their "strange" SD much better than in previous competitions, so they deserved to be up with points.

yuna13

On the Ice
For sure the shibs are true technicians like robots they never make mistake their legs don't go up and they don't move their upper bodies. Unlike the French who move their entire bodies so yes sometimes they stumble cause it's harder not to lose balance when your leg is up or when your back isn't in a right position like a statue. Fluidity = risks. Even Charlie White said at sa that the shibs should move their upper bodies. And he also can't stop saying good things about the French movement but I guess some people prefer good technic with static movement. The only time they move their upper bodies it's at the start of the short dance after that...but again they' re strong technicians. Madison chock has so much more flexibility and extension. So sad that she fell at the sd.

Last edited:

kresslia

Medalist
V/M got me into figure skating back in 2010 so I'm always biased towards them, but the short here REALLY clicked with me. I think it's the last part that truly put it into "instant classic" mode for me.

They honestly look like they're on another level. Their speed in particular coming after C/B was lol-worthy.

chloepoco

Medalist
For sure the shibs are true technicians like robots they never make mistake their legs don't go up and they don't move their upper bodies. Unlike the French who move their entire bodies so yes sometimes they stumble cause it's harder not to lose balance when your leg is up or when your back isn't in a right position like a statue. Fluidity = risks. Even Charlie White said at sa that the shibs should move their upper bodies. And he also can't stop saying good things about the French movement but I guess some people prefer good technic with static movement. The only time they move their upper bodies it's at the start of the short dance after that...but again they' re strong technicians. Madison chock has so much more flexibility and extension. So sad that she fell at the sd.

:rolleye:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Nope. Piper flopped on her face in Paris.

Now now she made a big mistake on the twizzles. But she recovered very very well. Credit where credit is due, and I never get this impulse to massively exaggerate mistakes.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It's ok. yuna13 is just mad. I hope he/she stays mad for the next two seasons.

You know who apparently loves Maia's back and posture? Coach of two ice dance Olympic champions, Tatiana Tarasova.

Both Shibs have wonderful backs. Cizeron has a marvelous back. Actually one of the best comments from any of the pros I've heard this season was from Tanith, who said the Shibs' FD suits them so well because they have such quiet upper bodies and that just suits their particular FD so well.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Now now she made a big mistake on the twizzles. But she recovered very very well. Credit where credit is due, and I never get this impulse to massively exaggerate mistakes.

Fair enough. But I think it's accurate to say that mistake alone possibly cost them a trip to the final. If they ended up with a silver, they'd still be tied with H&D and WeaPo in points (bronze & silver for all three).

LadyB

Record Breaker
gilles and Poirier should be here Hubbell and Donahue blah

I totally agree. I like the Shibs, but tbh, this year's SD is not my thing, even though I like Sinatra.
I'm quietly hoping that B/S make it on the podium. :party:

rain

Record Breaker
Judges really don't like C/B this year (could be they want fewer US teams so close to the top?) and meanwhile this is the first season I really like C/B. Their material is fresh - I hate the Bad to the Bone part of the SD, but I think the FD is very creative and strong. C/B's victories this year have all been based on TES rather than PCS. When they mess up technically, they get dumped.

I'm not sure how I feel about their material yet. I like the Bruno Mars portion of the SD, but I'm with you on the dislike of the Bad to the Bone part. It's just, I don't know, not sophisticated enough, maybe? When you put it against the far more sophisticated programs of V/M and P/C, it just comes across as kinda cheesy. And for some reason the vocals are grating in this setting. I'm not sure why.

What I do respect is that they clearly tried something totally different this year.

rain

Record Breaker
Well, couldn't disagree with you more! I think they have great presence, and Maia looks stunning in her outfit!!

Maia's SD outfit is incredibly flattering. I don't know how anyone could find fault with it. It hits just the right note between classy and risqué.

That said, I found it interesting watching the Shibs' short dance in the same competition as V/M's. The Shibs were very precise as usual, but their performance of the music was not on the level that V/M have achieved in their program. Particularly in the first part of the Shibs' program it looked like they were still thinking through the steps.