2016 Cup of China Short Dance | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2016 Cup of China Short Dance

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Idk, it depends on how their FD looks now. This is their first proper outing and the fed knows how it stands with his injuries, so I'd say they may have a bit of leeway if they don't get third here but post good scores and perform well. And then they need to perform well at NHK. The levels were encouraging for the SD, the judges' were decent enough as well. It's normal that there's a bit of hesitation for a pair that hasn't yet performed this season, but it certainly doesn't look like they are being dumped or anything, so that's a relief. And honestly, I wouldn't want them to be leading over S/B now, they had a mistake, it should be reflected in the scores.
yeah yeah I dont think they should lead either & I dont dislike the scores at all :agree2: but imo overall their flow & SS are much better than SB even with the twizzles mistake

I was just wondering about the placement & correlation to Nats b/c imo the Fed desides on the GP results as well. Hopefully the possible losing to SB (IF it happens) wont be the end of it. I hope they can hold on the 2nd for the season.

I dont think they have much chance at NHK tho 4th is the top :think: Anyway I dont count much on GP They just need to be as clean as possible to make good impression on the judges b/c they obv dont fight for top 6 in the world or anything.

nope but when a crowd feels that's some great performance is happening, consider that perhaps that's also possible that the judges feel the same excitement for a performance. Their lift was spectacular, judges mostly gave it +3 goe... that's one example... not even talking about PCS here.
imo the judges are ppl too & its a good thing as well as bad (bias)
Tho robots judging in the future may be a fair thing & a dream for some ppl :laugh:

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Natalia & Maks have really high BV, but then nearly no +GOE, which keeps them down a lot... ugh. They need to work on that.

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
I've seen top teams botch lift entrances and have out of sync wobbly twizzles get +3 GOE.
well Savchenko got +GOE for botchered lift
Imo it happens all the time in all disciplines:scratch2:

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
if you would like to complain about anything ;) look at sinkats twizzles scores... then if you can stomach that one, please go ahead and complain about weapo...

sinkats, with obvious mistakes got positive GOE and level 4... weapo... level 3 only... so there...
So complaining about another couples will make you feel better :scratch2:

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
so watched all & my likes go to

1 WP
2 SK (yeah cant help teh bias but the dance is really really stylish! Thanks Marina!)
3 SB

I do like Shibs but imo after the last season with amazing programms this year they became a bit like 'The Shibs of old' :slink: very very in sync but not getting my blood pressure up with excitement :slink:

Last edited:

katha

On the Ice
yeah yeah I dont think they should lead either & I dont dislike the scores at all :agree2: but imo overall their flow & SS are much better than SB even with the twizzles mistake

I was just wondering about the placement & correlation to Nats b/c imo the Fed desides on the GP results as well. Hopefully the possible losing to SB (IF it happens) wont be the end of it. I hope they can hold on the 2nd for the season.

I dont think they have much chance at NHK tho 4th is the top :think: Anyway I dont count much on GP They just need to be as clean as possible to make good impression on the judges b/c they obv dont fight for top 6 in the world or anything.
They should always have higher SS PCs than S/B, agree (they got higher scores here, but IMO the difference should be bigger). But that's just a general bug of the system, I fear. It all gets thrown together, though it shouldn't: SinKats had a mistake, which detracted a bit from overall impression, they may have been more hesitant due to this being their first big outing etc. Then also the political push for S/B (let's not lie here...) and just the fact that familiarity with a program often unconsciously biases judges a bit in its favour. Considering all of that, this is probably as good as it was going to get today. Those were fair scores in the context of the system, you can't ask for more than that.

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
They should always have higher SS PCs than S/B, agree (they got higher scores here, but IMO the difference should be bigger). But that's just a general bug of the system, I fear. It all gets thrown together, though it shouldn't: SinKats had a mistake, which detracted a bit from overall impression, they may have been more hesitant due to this being their first big outing etc. Then also the political push for S/B (let's not lie here...) and just the fact that familiarity with a program often unconsciously biases judges a bit in its favour. Considering all of that, this is probably as good as it was going to get today. Those were fair scores in the context of the system, you can't ask for more than that.
but SK have political push as well (thankfully)
well yeah the scores are good for a 1st start:agree2:
but the difference in SS is funny really. SK's imo is MUCH better!

Im worried that Vik has a tape on her leg btw:(
But Vaits said that Nik's shoulder injury (not the operated one) is nothing serious so yay!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
I haven't had time to read the thread yet, and I'm sure this has already been discussed, but I am sooooooooooo bummed that Stepanova and Bukin changed their twizzles and no longer do the cool spinny one. It was pretty much the only thing I liked about them, and the one they replaced it with is just hideous :gaah: :sad21: Again sorry if this has already been discussed a lot but I just saw their program now and my feelings needed to be aired immediately :dev2:

Carry on.

Kittosuni

Medalist
I haven't had time to read the thread yet, and I'm sure this has already been discussed, but I am sooooooooooo bummed that Stepanova and Bukin changed their twizzles and no longer do the cool spinny one. It was pretty much the only thing I liked about them, and the one they replaced it with is just hideous :gaah: :sad21: Again sorry if this has already been discussed a lot but I just saw their program now and my feelings needed to be aired immediately :dev2:

Carry on.

If I remember correctly they have the sit twizzle in their FD. ANd I think their FD is stronger than their SP

tulosai

Record Breaker
Okay I've read most of the thread now and watched all the programs. Here are my humble thoughts:

1. Weaver and Poje looked just great, much sharper than at their first events, and a few of the 'tricks' were definitely a lot more 'wow!!' here which had to have worked in their favor- the backflip she does at the end was sort of clunky before but here it was smooth, and when he jumps over her, also toward the end, that looked a lot more impressive here since she actually appeared to be going under him and not well to the side of him as they did it :rofl:

2. The Shibs also did just great obviously. For some reason their program is not my cup of tea, but I'm clearly in the minority.

3. Other than my great personal disappointment over their twizzles I like this program for Stepanova and Bukin better than any other that they've ever done. They actually really have a lot of energy and personality when they perform it, you can really feel their conviction. On a very shallow note indeed Stepanova is probably the most beautiful woman in skating. Just wow.

4. Sinastina and Katsalopov continue to fail to grab me, though I did like their not touching step sequence a lot. I actually basically agree with their PCS being lower than S/B? Certainy I felt S/B's PE and IN were better, and S/K's skating skills were appropriately marked higher.

yuna13

On the Ice
Happy for W/P, i really like their sd.

i found the shibs slow and not there and i still don't like this sd. for me the best sd from an americain team and overall is C/B!

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
Happy for W/P, i really like their sd.

i found the shibs slow and not there and i still don't like this sd. for me the best sd from an americain team and overall is C/B!
by a mile!:rock:

ANd I think their FD is stronger than their SP
hmm I think the opposite
Too many weird lifts in the free & too messy
It looks like acrobatic contest sometimes
But the SD is just amazing:luv17:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
by a mile!:rock:

hmm I think the opposite
Too many weird lifts in the free & too messy
It looks like acrobatic contest sometimes
But the SD is just amazing:luv17:

Yes, I'm getting old because I slept through the whole thing! I'll watch it at a civilized time in a bit.

But about S/B...yes tulosai, she is gorgeous. Gorgeous and stiff like a Barbie Doll. Their lifts, sugarpova, in the FD are too complicated, so you see each part of the lift as a separate movement; there's no flow to them. And that makes it look like work. They're trying to go for levels and "wow" and mostly it strikes me as "wow that lift looks like a day and a half's work."

Need cawfee and breakfast...I really am getting old and crotchety. GET OFF MY LAWN YOU BRATS!!!!!!!

:drama:

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
Yes, I'm getting old because I slept through the whole thing! I'll watch it at a civilized time in a bit.

But about S/B...yes tulosai, she is gorgeous. Gorgeous and stiff like a Barbie Doll. Their lifts, sugarpova, in the FD are too complicated, so you see each part of the lift as a separate movement; there's no flow to them. And that makes it look like work. They're trying to go for levels and "wow" and mostly it strikes me as "wow that lift looks like a day and a half's work."

Need cawfee and breakfast...I really am getting old and crotchety. GET OFF MY LAWN YOU BRATS!!!!!!!

:drama:
yeah yeah you put it much better english than I could :laugh::agree:
it looks like "I CAN DO IT" type of stuff...
Their Zhuk progsramms (this one is Peter T's I believe) always had that 'lets fit as many turns as possible to a lift' syndrome for some reason
Even my fav Eleanor Rigby
Id prefer if they ease it out a bit
Indeed the flow is absent
In combo it just feels as too much to handle:slink:

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I love this result. Hoping for Weaver/Poje to win the competition so they can get into the GPF and stay in the game.

I'm shocked the judges put Stepanova/Bukin that close to the Shibs. I mean, I totally love their SD this season, but they skated it better at Skate Canada. Like, a lot better. She looked considerably less sure-footed to me this time and they totally rushed the ending. Whatever, I guess! The Shibs are boring this season.