2016 Cup of China Short Dance | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2016 Cup of China Short Dance

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I love this result. Hoping for Weaver/Poje to win the competition so they can get into the GPF and stay in the game.

I'm shocked the judges put Stepanova/Bukin that close to the Shibs. I mean, I totally love their SD this season, but they skated it better at Skate Canada. Like, a lot better. She looked considerably less sure-footed to me this time and they totally rushed the ending. Whatever, I guess! The Shibs are boring this season.

Actually the technical panel put Stepnova/Bukin closer. S/B did get slightly better +GOE and +PCS than they did at Skate Canada.

As far as judges, the Shibs still got higher GOE and PCS.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Got my chichen nuggets, coffee, and cherry cock and made it back just in time to catch the Shib Sibs. :clap:

I didn't see any major mistakes, but like so many of the hip hop teams they need to add more punch. Especially Maia.

Cherry Cock......Hang on, I have to go get coffee. :drama:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Boy, Cannusicio and McManus were a major disappointment. The blues pattern was small and slowwwwwwwwwww. And the one thing that has always made them stand out was their style. And this program really doesn't have any. It's all so blah. Well good news for Hawayek and Baker I guess, but what a disappointment.

rosy14

Final Flight
They were not good at the Worlds. They made errors, but then again so did C/B & they still got a medal.

There are people and people, errors and errors...someone repeatedly makes clear mistakes on twizzles, for instance, and wins medals and break records, others make very minor errors and lose not once, but thrice. W/P, Shibs, C/L are in this category.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Boy, Cannusicio and McManus were a major disappointment. The blues pattern was small and slowwwwwwwwwww. And the one thing that has always made them stand out was their style. And this program really doesn't have any. It's all so blah. Well good news for Hawayek and Baker I guess, but what a disappointment.

Nota bene: Colin McManus has been fighting a bug since Tuesday :(.

Sorry, I don't know whether Colin's illness has been mentioned/discussed earlier in the thread (which I have not been following).

Hope he is feeling better for the FD.

Go, Can/Man, ... and go, Shibs :yay:.

(Sorry that Paul/Islam had to withdraw :(.)

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I was hoping that the Shibs would improve the performance aspect of their SD from Skate America, which I felt was understandably a bit more reserved since they were debuting their routines at SA and had not done any prior events to test their programs out in front of an international panel. However, this performance seemed to be a step back. Maia tuned out some time in the middle of that performance, you saw that in the end of the Twizzle sequence as she didn't punch the end nearly as much as she did at Skate America. They received a level 4 for the pattern but their partial step is still level 2. I think they need more choreography throughout the partial and add some flourishes to the pattern because it looks slow and methodological right now. They are better skaters than that as evidenced by last year's SD where they had a lot of content, speed, and attack. Their lift is also only level 3. I think they need a new lift because I don't really get how that goes with the program...it seems more of a COP lift to me. Their PCS and GOE is still promising though, and here's to taking it up a few notches in the FD.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Nota bene: Colin McManus has been fighting a bug since Tuesday :(.

Sorry, I don't know whether Colin's illness has been mentioned/discussed earlier in the thread (which I have not been following).

Hope he is feeling better for the FD.

Go, Can/Man, ... and go, Shibs :yay:.

(Sorry that Paul/Islam had to withdraw :(.)

Even with the illness, it's a nothing of a program. I think that's the real problem. And I'm a big fan of those two. Usually their programs are at least interesting. This one had me thinking of things like, Gee, maybe he should wear long sleeves. And so do I want oatmeal or eggs right now?

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I really enjoyed the Shibs program at Skate America, but the acoustics today at the CoC rink made watching videos of their performance unbearable. :( Putting it on mute just isn't the same.

I love seing Maia take on a Beyoncé style diva persona in this program.

WeaPo did a much better job selling their program here, though I still want to take a nap during the elevator music in the first piece. As for those twizzles, Dreamboat Andrew, get it together already! :drama:

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
That was an exciting SP from Weaver/Poje. Helps that this was actually Blues rendition of Michael Jackson's music. Most of the couples here are doing more Soul or Country rock fusion music than actual Blues.

Oh thank you. I thought I was the only one who noticed.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I was hoping that the Shibs would improve the performance aspect of their SD from Skate America, which I felt was understandably a bit more reserved since they were debuting their routines at SA and had not done any prior events to test their programs out in front of an international panel. However, this performance seemed to be a step back. Maia tuned out some time in the middle of that performance, you saw that in the end of the Twizzle sequence as she didn't punch the end nearly as much as she did at Skate America. They received a level 4 for the pattern but their partial step is still level 2. I think they need more choreography throughout the partial and add some flourishes to the pattern because it looks slow and methodological right now. They are better skaters than that as evidenced by last year's SD where they had a lot of content, speed, and attack. Their lift is also only level 3. I think they need a new lift because I don't really get how that goes with the program...it seems more of a COP lift to me. Their PCS and GOE is still promising though, and here's to taking it up a few notches in the FD.

Honestly, it wasn't their best performance -- and I mean we only have one other performance to compare it too -- but I hardly think it's a meltdown. Also, they did improve on the non-touching step sequence--they got a level 3, so that's something.

But yeah, given the horse race that is ID, any misstep can be costly.

I do think they would benefit from a new lift. And maybe there isn't enough time for GPF, but probably some EQ adjustments with their music mixer guy probably would be good to do before U.S. Nationals.

I do feel like there's always a "Sky is falling" provision with the Shibutanis. Today's doom-and-gloom prediction-- The Shibs are going to be passed by Russia's No. 3 (now No. 2?) team!! OOOHHH NOOOOOOOOOOO. :laugh:

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Honestly, it wasn't their best performance -- and I mean we only have one other performance to compare it too -- but I hardly think it's a meltdown. Also, they did improve on the non-touching step sequence--they got a level 3, so that's something.

But yeah, given the horse race that is ID, any misstep can be costly.

Not apparently for WePo. Holy Gift From The Judges Batman!

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I really enjoyed the Shibs program at Skate America, but the acoustics today at the CoC rink made watching videos of their performance unbearable. :( Putting it on mute just isn't the same.

I love seing Maia take on a Beyoncé style diva persona in this program.

WeaPo did a much better job selling their program here, though I still want to take a nap during the elevator music in the first piece. As for those twizzles, Dreamboat Andrew, get it together already! :drama:

I agree with all of this. The acoustics at the arena at COC was seriously bad. Being an ice dancer is rough and so much of the performance does depend on things like that and energy since there are no eye catching elements like jumps. If I was an ice dancer competing these days and jockeying for position I would never want to skate at Skate America (unless I was American but even then nobody shows up), Rostelecom Cup (unless I was Russian); or Cup of China (low enthusiasm and weird almost distant arena set up). Trophee de France would be touch since P/C are there, but it seems that ice dancers have loved competing there before. Skate Canada is just a wonderful site (no matter whether you buy into Canadian inflation or not) and the audience is super appreciative and FULL. NHK is hit or miss, but the audience is at least full and can be enthusiastic for the right program.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
We were tired last night. Someone wanted to wash lubov. I blame the energy drinks.

And you're still awake now to tell the story?! :eeking: You're a crazy person! Go have a nap and get ready for the free programs!

Last night when I said I would set my alarm to get up in time for the competition, I apparently thought I was in China's timezone and set it for 2:30PM eastern time. :laugh2: I am a hot mess.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I slept but we might get 8 inches of snow on Sunday/Monday and I have to go work in the yard.

4everchan was going to work at 2. I have no idea how he will manage.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i went to bed at 9sih... woke up at 12... had my business meeting at 2... now i have a little break and i do 4-8 ;) i must see.. I feel like (insert a 4 letter word of your choice)...

I slept but we might get 8 inches of snow on Sunday/Monday and I have to go work in the yard.

4everchan was going to work at 2. I have no idea how he will manage.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
S/K have a marvelous and sophisticated blues section (to--gasp!--real blues music), but the hand in the pocket is just too much. Yes, Nikita did his usual 'PELL MELL TO HELL' twizzles, with the not-unsexpected results. But the real problem is the swing section, which is just a mess. And they skated it like they were trying to catch a train while the house is on fire.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
WePo... I can't. I just can't. I love them but to be ahead of the Shibs for the that, and with a career best score makes a mockery of scoring. They got a positive GOE for those twizzles! A positive GOE! It's a disgrace.

On a positive note, that is one of the coolest straight-line lifts I've ever seen.

Still...

The organic manure is being spread thick and fast.