2016 Four Continents Free Dance | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2016 Four Continents Free Dance

keasus

On the Ice
Can someone explain the "wardrobe malfunction" that occurred earlier in the event (I think it was the Reeds)? Was a deduction taken?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Can someone explain the "wardrobe malfunction" that occurred earlier in the event (I think it was the Reeds)? Was a deduction taken?

Elizabeth Paradis almost lost her dress! It started falling off at the neck, and Francois-Xavier tried to do the neck strap back up, but that took awhile. Anybody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was a one-point deduction.

robredo40

On the Ice
Weapo need to dump that lousy coaching team already, they are not improving and where was Krylova at this comp anyway, the should have seen the writing on the wall when teams left camerlengo last year, and as they try to make their programs more difficult Andrew's technical weaknesses are coming out full force a good coaching team are capable to mask that look at Marie france with Gabriella or Zueva with Sinitsina.

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States
JAIXODJWSJOASLEMEKSIDJEJEJJEJEJEJEDJDJPSJDOSEJSPPQWPSKDKNDKDO!!! :dance2: :dance3: :yes2:

Symptoms of Shibmania include: muscle spasms, random bouts of high-pitched squealing, rewatching past performances to excess, euphoria, and posting nonsensical posts of hundreds of random uppercase letters and emoticons on Golden Skate. Symptoms can be exacerbated by the Shibs winning a major ISU championship or medaling at worlds, in which case you should duck and watch for flying stuffed animals.

I am right there with you. Let 'em fly!

Last edited:

katha

On the Ice
All eras of dominance end eventually. The North American will end/has ended, just like the Russian dominance did. Now it may be time for French dominance with PC, but CL, I am not sure. CL's technical issues will I think still be their limiting factor. The Russian teams (BS, SK and IZ) are all better technically than CL.

I also think CB and WP won't be able to hold on to the top. I think the most promising North American teams are the Shibs (what????) if they continue improving like this, and then in the future some of the younger teams, like HB, but for HB to reach their potential, if they reach it, it will take some time.

So, I think the Russian teams have some room to get back into the mix. BS are of course BS, very experienced. SK and IZ have potential, they have different styles and different strengths so they could be very competitive, but I also think SK and IZ won't be able to hold on to the top for very long, if they ever get there. Maybe it will be up to SK and IZ to lay the groundwork for a team like YM. We'll see...

SK's and IZ's limiting factors could simply be Nikita and Elena...ironic...LOL LOL... who have continued their streaks of error prone performances even with new partners... heartbreaking, honestly... as I like IZ and SK impressed me with their improvement from the disaster last year...
I just don't think crystal balling like that makes any sense. If this season is showing anything is that things in ice dance are super fluid and old protocol judging is starting to die. So best performance on the day gets more and more important. Also, momentum is something that can be regained. Even if you had a nightmare season like SinKats last year, if you come back much improved like they did the judges are willing to give you a chance again and go with you. Or the Shibs treading water for years and now gaining speed. Or on the negative side, teams like G/P or I/Z or P/I or H/B losing momentum because there's a perception that they didn't improve enough or other teams got stronger etc. Or the judges going with WeaPo if they skate well and not holding them up if they don't. Or C/L getting rewarded for a strong SD and then rightly getting a bit lower marks for their weaker FD. I do actually think that ironically some of the thinking in fan circles still hasn't caught up to that new reality, so if someone wins they're declared world beaters. And if they have a weak skate their career is declared over. And then there's loads of irritation and head-scratching that results are constantly changing throughout the season.

So I don't think you can make predictions about long-term development of teams like that. Sometimes skaters who perhaps aren't the most talented with loads of hard work and finding the right vehicles make it to the top. Sometimes potential doesn't translate into results. Sometimes development takes longer. Barely any ice dance career is without struggles and setbacks. Last year people declaring SinKats dead on arrival were way over the top, because even at their worst (NHK) they looked like they had potential but hadn't found a way to skate together yet. IMO by the FD at Nats 2014 it looked like things were slowly falling into place for them. Same thing this year with I/Z. Yeah, the season wasn't ideal and they struggled. Last year they were immediately declared world beaters after a few good outings, now they're immediately terrible after a tough season? What? It's all way too fickle IMO and works on a "what have you done for me lately?" principle. I don't think ice dance careers (which tend to be rather long) work like that.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For me it's just open season!

I mean consider this: Weaver and Poje was undefeated until this competition, when they were beaten by Shibutanis and Chock and Bates .

Chock and Bates had a relatively "easy" win at Skate America, lost to Cappellini/Lanotte in Cup of China before beating them (and everyone else but Weaver/Poje) in GPF. At this point, they've lost to nearly ever top contender at some point (except Papadakis/Cizern, obviously)

The Shibutanis seem to be going the divide and conquer route, which oddly feels like deja vu to their debut season. They took care of Bobrova/Soloviev at Skate Canada, NHK and GPF. They beat Chock and Bates at Nationals and again at 4CC (2X in a matter of weeks after not beating them for four years...making up for lost time!) and they beat Weaver/Poje at 4CC, beating them for the first time in nearly five years (2011 NHK Trophy). So at this point they have Cappellini and Lanotte (who they lost to at GPF and haven't beat since 2011 Worlds ) and Papadakis and Cizeron (who they have yet to face but have lost every face-to-face matchup since their Cup of China matchup in 2014) left to beat. But they still run the risk of getting beat by Chock and Bates and Weaver and Poje. The technical mark is their calling card -- they have the highest TES in the SD and the second highest in the FD. Their PCS is behind still, though they're inching closer.

Papadakis/Cizeron won Europeans easily, but the SD continues to be a weak point -- they are 5th in the season's best list here. They have the highest TES in the FD by more than a point and the highest PCS at 56+ Their FD will likely give them the win overall, but who knows how they will respond to more tough competition in Boston -- in Euros, Cappellini and Lanotte were truly their main competition and while their scores are the highest, that might not translate to the competition that day.

Unpredictable is the word.

keasus

On the Ice
Thanks Blue Idealist. I just watched the video (shout out thanks to Kutien). Despite the malfunction, it is a beautiful dress: subtle and beautifully cut. I must say they handled the situation with aplomb. And damn, can he be any more gorgeous (and a gentleman to boot)? He can fix my wardrobe anytime:hap57:

TMC

Record Breaker
Thanks Blue Idealist. I just watched the video (shout out thanks to Kutien). Despite the malfunction, it is a beautiful dress: subtle and beautifully cut. I must say they handled the situation with aplomb. And damn, can he be any more gorgeous (and a gentleman to boot)? He can fix my wardrobe anytime:hap57:

It was amazing how they went straight from talking to the referee to performing that awesome lift in like a blink of an eye, like nothing happened! Great competitors :)

bramweld

Record Breaker
Ice dance is a tricky sport to gauge. But I honestly don't think their is much between the best teams this season. The sole exception is P/C, they're just in a class by themselves. It all comes down to the performance, packaging and whether or not the type of program is the cats pyjamas in a given season.

TMC

Record Breaker
Ice dance is a tricky sport to gauge. But I honestly don't think their is much between the best teams this season. The sole exception is P/C, they're just in a class by themselves. It all comes down to the performance, packaging and whether or not the type of program is the cats pyjamas in a given season.

I have a feeling that if everybody skates clean, skate order is going to have a LOT to do with the results.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Is Kana Muramoto wearing Tessa Virtue's dress from 2008 4CC's

Good question -- which I think you meant in a literal sense?
I had re-watched Tessa/Scott's 2008 Four Continents FD :luv17: very recently ... and now that you mention it, the pretty pink dresses with white collars do bear a resemblance.

So your question made me curious :cool:. But after looking back, I do not think that they are literally the same dress.

Among the differences:
Tessa's dress has short sleeves -- very short sleeves, but they are there. Kana's has no sleeves.
And the skirt on Tessa's dress is flouncier than on Kana's.

Tessa:
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...t-moir-of-canada-pose-for-news-photo/79768120
http://www.goldenskate.com/2008/02/virtue-and-moir-win-third-consecutive-4cc-title/

Kana:
https://www.facebook.com/5749954958...995495897358/1070133859716850/?type=3&theater

Elizabeth Paradis almost lost her dress! It started falling off at the neck, and Francois-Xavier tried to do the neck strap back up, but that took awhile. Anybody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was a one-point deduction.

Per the protocol (as far as I can see), Paradis/Ouellette received a three-point deduction for "Interruption in excess" -- but not a costume deduction.

ETA:

Oooops ... I forgot to say Congratulations to Maia and Alex :bow:. Thrilled for them :dance2:.

Very pleased also for Madi and Zach that they skated so well.

Look foward to Lee/Kam's bright future.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I have a feeling that if everybody skates clean, skate order is going to have a LOT to do with the results.

God, someone see this acually, I can die happy now...

Seriously, in a season like this in Ice Dance where each competiton has given us some rollercoasters regarding points, placements and final outcomes AND where judges have played some hot'n'cold game towards particular teams nothing should be taken for granted - only an actual competition where all top contenders will present themselves one by one can tell the story. And I don't even want to start how useless is comparing various teams' scores gained in different competitions this season - yes, it is some point of thought, but to be honest where some teams were scored pretty consistent (Italians), other teams were a bit all over the place (Chock/Bates) and finishing on Papadakis/Cizeron who so far have only shown in Europeans internationally.

as TMC said - IF everyone from the very top will go clean - then it is all about who skates after who. The power of draw could be a crutial thing (yes, I hear your laugh). The draw will be even more important factor in FD - I think that e.g. Papadakis/Cizeron having hypothetical 3 pts gap to 1st team after SD and skating last can easily take this in their bag, similar thing could go with Shibutanis looking at their tech scores.

Regardless of above dwelling on draw power - the thing will be in such unpredictable season to maintaing steely nerves, unraveling focus and foremost levels on place.

Last edited:

LadyB

Record Breaker
Watched it eventually. Coverage is really abysmal, thank good for YouTube. Thanks to your comments, I paid proper attention to P/O and G/P dances. Is that me or is that weird that judges don't give a dam if music is not timed properly or the clothes are coming off... I definitely cried today. Over the moon for the Shibs, they well and truly deserved it. Bit sad for WeaPo, though. I genuinely love them too and think they are great performers. Bring on Boston: Ice dance has never been that exciting!

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Three points actually, I think, unless the deductions were for something else too. Between the three points and the lift (not 100% sure since I don't know all the protocol abbreviations, but I think it was a lift) they lost completely, they had to have left a good 7-10 points on the table, depending on what that lift would have been worth. (And they *still* put out a personal best for both programs as well as the overall event. Clearly they're improving!!)

Rissa

Record Breaker
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm hoping for a bit of home cooking for Shibs at Boston. I love P/C but if the Shibs skate their socks off like they had all season, I'd be happy to have them with gold.

moon

On the Ice
The TES have been silly excessive but that always happens at 4CC in order to put these teams in a good light for Worlds. I dont think that some of these teams will be seeing the same TES for themselves at Worlds. It is a similar sort of situation as a Nationals competition. Lets boost our kids so that the rest of the world believes they are the best ever. The same can be said for Europeans. The federations are getting their teams all pumped and padded and ready to present at Worlds.
Regarding W/P, I think they just had a bad couple of days. Andrew is actually the better technical skater by far than Kaitlyn but he was way off yesterday. Nervousness, poor concentration, there could be many reasons. I am giving them a pass on this one because they are usually very solid competitors.
Just to get things going a bit, I really do wish they would do away with anonymous judging. It is fairly obvious in the protocol that it is a teams own judge who is giving plus 2's for poorly performed levels. I mean we arent exactly stupid. But wouldnt it be fun to know what the other countries are and why they are helping out by giving unwarranted GOE's and also they countries that are low balling them. It would be a fabulous Reality TV show.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I don't know, the TES at last year's Worlds and 4CC were pretty on par with one another given the differences of performances.

slider11

Medalist
Ok, the spirit award goes to Paradis and Oullette who, after the strap on her dress comes undone, Elizabeth tries to skate holding up the dress but when that doesn't work she stops and poor Francois frantically tries to rehook the dress. After the longest 10 seconds of their lives, he gets it rehooked, they skate over to the referee and she tells them to keep skating. is that a rule? I recall Virtue and Moir stopping during two different competitions (I think both 4CCs) because Tessa was supposedly hurt. Tessa just skated to the boards and got a couple minutes to regroup. She was permitted to catch her breath and then continue the performance at the music time of the "injury". I think wardrobe malfunctions should get the same consideration as an injury. How about Tonya Harding and her skate lace problem? She got a "re-do". Someone will cite some rule #12345 that says, "dress comes undone, too bad keep skating and hope for the best". And, by the way we're deducting 3 points!!! However, let me further congratulate Elizabeth and Francois for skating very well after the mishap. And they had a good laugh in the Kiss and Cry. I like them!