2016 Four Continents Free Dance | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2016 Four Continents Free Dance

GF2445

Record Breaker
Ok, the spirit award goes to Paradis and Oullette who, after the strap on her dress comes undone, Elizabeth tries to skate holding up the dress but when that doesn't work she stops and poor Francois frantically tries to rehook the dress. After the longest 10 seconds of their lives, he gets it rehooked, they skate over to the referee and she tells them to keep skating. is that a rule? I recall Virtue and Moir stopping during two different competitions (I think both 4CCs) because Tessa was supposedly hurt. Tessa just skated to the boards and got a couple minutes to regroup. She was permitted to catch her breath and then continue the performance at the music time of the "injury". I think wardrobe malfunctions should get the same consideration as an injury. How about Tonya Harding and her skate lace problem? She got a "re-do". Someone will cite some rule #12345 that says, "dress comes undone, too bad keep skating and hope for the best". And, by the way we're deducting 3 points!!! However, let me further congratulate Elizabeth and Francois for skating very well after the mishap. And they had a good laugh in the Kiss and Cry. I like them!

Since those 2 incidents from Tessa, the rules changed dramatically.
Lucky they didnt get a 5 mark deduction.

slider11

Medalist
Agreed that the Shibs, although not as dynamic as Nationals or even GpF, kept their cool! NHK is still my favorite Shibs performance where I think they really let it lose! I read that Weaver and Poje said they were having problems with the feel of the ice - not in a whiny, sour grapes way. That was evident as you could see Andrew's giraffe legs splaying at certain points. I like how Kaitlyn was supportive and they win and lose as a team. I love the Shibs but have a strong connection with W/P -either one could be world champs for me. I know the French are waiting but I don't think this is their year.

slider11

Medalist
Since those 2 incidents from Tessa, the rules changed dramatically.
Lucky they didnt get a 5 mark deduction.

Thanks for the update. I suppose if all mishaps are handled in the same way, that's fair. Wasn't aware of the change so I appreciate the information.

bobbob

Medalist
I thought Maia and Alex did what they needed to win, and they deserved the victory, although maybe not by as much as they won by. Their program is engaging and emotional and provides a great platform for the two of them. However, looking towards Worlds, the results at this 4CC only seems to strengthen P/C's case for defending the title. Had WeaPo had a decisive victory, maybe they could present a challenge at Worlds. Either way, I think the choreography and beauty of Papadakis and Cizeron's skating are really heads and shoulders above any team in the world right now. If you haven't seen their free skate this year, I recommend you take a look -- truly breathtaking. Maia and Alex are energetic, focused, and engaging, but Papadakis and Cizeron are mind-blowing, exquisite, graceful, and effortless.

slider11

Medalist
I thought Maia and Alex did what they needed to win, and they deserved the victory, although maybe not by as much as they won by. Their program is engaging and emotional and provides a great platform for the two of them. However, looking towards Worlds, the results at this 4CC only seems to strengthen P/C's case for defending the title. Had WeaPo had a decisive victory, maybe they could present a challenge at Worlds. Either way, I think the choreography and beauty of Papadakis and Cizeron's skating are really heads and shoulders above any team in the world right now. If you haven't seen their free skate this year, I recommend you take a look -- truly breathtaking. Maia and Alex are energetic, focused, and engaging, but Papadakis and Cizeron are mind-blowing, exquisite, graceful, and effortless.

I agree with the beauty and breath-taking quality of Papadakis and Cizeron's skating. I just don't see either dances - especially the SD - as difficult or engaging as last year's.

bobbob

Medalist
I agree with the beauty and breath-taking quality of Papadakis and Cizeron's skating. I just don't see either dances - especially the SD - as difficult or engaging as last year's.

I think their free dances from both last year and this year are spectacular, I wont compare them with each other. But going in to worlds, no one can argue that they are the ones to beat, and it will take mistakes from them for teams like the Shibutanis (some hometown advantage doesn't hurt either) to win.

bramweld

Record Breaker

The judges don't seem to care so much about difficulty this season, they seem to be rewarding GOE. I may be wrong but only when we begin to have a number of teams as ridiculously talented as P/C will difficulty begin to matter much again.

GF2445

Record Breaker
You may have a very valid point.

I wouldn't want to be the team to skate after the French.
Only the Shibutanis have strong enough content to challenge.

The French team's weakness is the short dance and being able to fill what the judges want from a Short Dance.

I just fear for Weapo. All their hard work might result in meagre returns.

slider11

Medalist
WeaPo may benefit from the under-dog status. If they can put forth an emotional and technically strong performance at Worlds I think they still have a chance for the top. I understand and appreciate those who are in love with Papadakis and Cizeron. There's alot to love there. But I don't see them as unstoppable. I like how Kaitlyn and Andrew "lost" at 4CC. They accepted third place with grace and showed resolve to fight through to Worlds. To me, that's the sign of a winner - and that win may be coming at Boston!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm sure the era is over ... I mean, NA teams won Worlds and Olympics from 2010 - 2014. That was the era of dominance.
There can surely be a new era of dominance, but this one is over. :coffee:

It wasn't so much a North American dominance as it was a dominance by two North American teams. Vitrue/Moyer and Davis/White were so superior tha they dominated for years. They've both retired, so their dominance is over.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think there is two medals. Who from Europe (except PC) would take one? C/L? It is not impossible,but I doubt that. Especialy with WC inBoston.

Bobrova and Soloviev? Maybe not this year, but soon.

bobbob

Medalist
I know the crowd will the fully for the Shibutanis so that will help. Still, their PCS will be lower than P/C so they have to get their levels which they are usually good at. I predict Shibutanis will place 2nd and Chock and Bates 3rd. Unfortunately the cards seemed to be stacked against Weaver and Poje, hopefully though they pull through and they still are very much contenders.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I recall Virtue and Moir stopping during two different competitions (I think both 4CCs) ..

Pretty sure that in only one of those instances did V/M resume the program -- as permitted by the referee.

In the other instance, they stopped the program mid-way -- and then decided to withdraw (without any attempt to resume the program, IIRC). 2011 Four Continents, IIRC?

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Oh wow. Just saw the results. That's... unexpected. Have yet to see the dences. But congrats to the Shibs fans! yay :yahoo:

Tereska

Rinkside
Pretty sure that in only one of those instances did V/M resume the program -- as permitted by the referee.

In the other instance, they stopped the program mid-way -- and then withdrew (without any attempt to resume the program, IIRC). 2011 Four Continents, IIRC?

Yes, they withdrew in 2011. In 2013, they continued their program. It was a season of ice dance stops - the Shibs also had a rule-permitted stop during their program, and P/C at Junior Worlds.

Dots

Final Flight
Despite how I feel about H/D's placement, it's nice to see them perform so well. Their FD finally came together. I would still change the middle part of the program, but overall it was very lovely.

slider11

Medalist

In the other instance, they stopped the program mid-way -- and then decided to withdraw (without any attempt to resume the program, IIRC). 2011 Four Continents, IIRC?

I think you're right. One program they stopped, conferred at the boards with their coaches and withdrew.