2016 World Championships Free Dance | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Free Dance

yyyskate

Record Breaker
P/C has dynamic, fluid long lines and speed and deep deep edge and very LIVE. programs music/choreo composed in a very natural flowing way. you wouldn't see a tech element coming. you would not expect okay next move will be the highlight.
but it will intrigue you.
similar with H/D's program.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
If Meryl and Charlie had skated their Scheherazade here, how much would they have got? 120? 130 or more?
These scores are insane. I don't know what happened to the judges tonight. At least the placements are ok.

Gabi and Guillaume were sublime, there's no doubt. I'm happy for them, but I still have a little problem with the scores..with everyone's scores.

I wish P/C a very long career free of injuries. Ice dance needs them so much. They have chances to become the best in ice dance ever. I think now they are not there yet. Imo (but surely not judges' opinion) D/W and V/M are still untouchable, but P/C move quickly. I want to see them with something different. I love their romantic Mozart program and this one even more. But when they'll try another style and still be amazing, I will happily say they are the best ever.

hamster428

Rinkside
I'm no expert, as I follow ice dancing on and off at best, but P/C is just different from all the couples I've watched in the last 2 Olympics cycles or so. They're like abstract art, but there's nothing random about them. Deliberate, but not contrived. It's like watching sand painting, draws, erase, redraws, ebbing and flowing until the story is complete.

As for the individuals that make up the pair, yes, he dances circles around her, but I think she offers a very nice balance to the dynamics, and acts somewhat as an anchor for all his crazy fluidity. I can't imagine watching him skate with someone just as fluid, coz then it'll become almost too much of a good thing.

So happy for the Shibsibs! I know a gold would've been more climatic, but who says this must be the climax? Onward you go, kids!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is always inflation at major year-ending ISU championships. Maybe not as much as this, but there's always some.

No grips about placement. The French were stupendous. I've never liked them as much as this. It was glorious.

Really happy for the Shibs. Also for C/B, who have struggled with that program. While they're not my favorites, there is no denying they skating the heck out that program. It was beautiful.

I am so pleased for H/D. That FD never clicked for me before tonight's viewing. I loved it. I hope their improvement this season will prompt a few teams to rethink their coaching situations. Change can be good!

And I now have a new team, one which I had not followed, to fall in love with. I loved the second Italian couple. I don't even know their names... but I'll be watching that program again and again.

Too bad about the Canadians. They were very good, but on a night when everyone else was excellent. No gripes about their placements.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
PapCiz in person is just incredible. They deserve every compliment and accolade they get! They skate with freedom, the flow, the edges, line and extension are just absolutely incredible! My friend - who knows nothing about skating - told me she got a little teary-eyed.

So happy for Shibs.

Chock/Bates not bad.

WeaPo good skating skills but bland programs.

Last edited:

auser

Record Breaker
Oh Andrew, I'll only forgive you for the mistake on the twizzle because you're still the hottest guy in figure skating. :luv17:

#shallow
#fangirl
#SarahSynchroIsAnIceDanceGroupie

You seem to recognize true beauty in human form :agree:. I do not consider that shallow ;).

yyyskate

Record Breaker
OMG!!!!! VM is gonna working with PC and HD's coaching Team
Cannot wait for the magic.
I am kinda becoming a ice dance fan now:biggrin:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I must be the only one in this thread thus far who thought the Shibs skated their FD better here than at Nationals. To me it seemed a lot faster and their twizzles were more on point. I thought they were actually slower and tighter at Nationals than they were at the GPF where they could have arguably placed of third or second in the FD portion. Though, I think the GPF may be my fave performance of "Fix You" since it was so emotional throughout the dance thanks to outside circumstances.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If Meryl and Charlie had skated their Scheherazade here, how much would they have got? 120? 130 or more?
These scores are insane. I don't know what happened to the judges tonight. At least the placements are ok.

Gabi and Guillaume were sublime, there's no doubt. I'm happy for them, but I still have a little problem with the scores..with everyone's scores.

I wish P/C a very long career free of injuries. Ice dance needs them so much. They have chances to become the best in ice dance ever. I think now they are not there yet. Imo (but surely not judges' opinion) D/W and V/M are still untouchable, but P/C move quickly. I want to see them with something different. I love their romantic Mozart program and this one even more. But when they'll try another style and still be amazing, I will happily say they are the best ever.

i feel so bad for weaver and poje. just a disaster. And it have to be honest i don't get p and c - their scores are outrageous. i just don't get them as being that good and their scores suggests virtue and moir cannot compete with them. i also noticed gilles and porier faltered as expected and the italians moved up but i have to say they really are not growing - now this is a team that i can see retiring but i don't think they will as they are italy no 1 still.

Giselle

Medalist
Congratulations to Gabriella & Guillaume :hap93: !

First French Ice Dance Team to win the World title twice :cool: ! First Ice Dance Team to defend their title since Denkova/Staviski almost 10 years ago in 2007!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Watch their Pink Floyd and Woodkid programs. You might see why doris and myself were a bit disappointed with this year's program. The Mozart was lovely but it was essentially a transcription of someone else's choreography to ice.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
OMG!!!!! VM is gonna working with PC and HD's coaching Team
Cannot wait for the magic.
I am kinda becoming a ice dance fan now:biggrin:

Some of us are dreading it. More Montreal mush.

One thing here nobody seems to have registered. Most of Lauzin/Dubreil's new teams with the exception of H/D did worse this year than in previous years. Ok, you can argue that Paradis/Ouelette made it to Worlds--but then they didn't even qualify for the FD. I'd have second thoughts about rushing to switch to them.

But it's always good to have another ice dance fan.

And yes, I will still rave about P/C. Like I have been doing for 3+ years now. :)

Note to VietgrlTerifa: you're right. I mixed up Nationals and the GPF. The GPF was the best performance of the Shibs' FD for the season.

oat

On the Ice
Watch their Pink Floyd and Woodkid programs. You might see why doris and myself were a bit disappointed with this year's program. The Mozart was lovely but it was essentially a transcription of someone else's choreography to ice.

Woodkid and Pink Floyd were when they were young and searched their style.
They found 1 style that they like with mozart and build a home.
they are only 20/21. They have time to explore other style and find 2/3/4 etc style where they are confortable and where they can shine.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Woodkid and Pink Floyd were when they were young and searched their style.
They found 1 style that they like with mozart and build a home.
they are only 20/21. They have time to explore other style and find 2/3/4 etc style where they are confortable and where they can shine.

Oh I certainly hope so. The thing is, please name me ONE Dubreil/Lauzon program that ISN'T about romance, usually in a soft focus style. Just one. I can't think of any. With Haguenauer there, I have some hope they will explore something OTHER than ooey gooey romantic love. They certainly have the talent for it.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Came here for a sec. I'm sorry, but the judging of this event was absolute JOKE. I LOVED the event, competition was very intense. But these scores? No chance in hell Weaver/Poje, Papadakis/Cizeron, Guignard/Fabbri, Cappellini/Lanotte and Coomes/Buckland would have been given level 4s for ANY of their steps from their FDs if this wasn't Worlds. That was GLARING. Absolutely glaring. Technical panel decided not to watch their feet? Dissapointed as hell, honestly. The Shibs should have won TES and Chock/Bates should have been second.
As for overall winners, I think I agree with top 3.

katha

On the Ice
Came here for a sec. I'm sorry, but the judging of this event was absolute JOKE. I LOVED the event, competition was very intense. But these scores? No chance in hell Weaver/Poje, Papadakis/Cizeron, Guignard/Fabbri, Cappellini/Lanotte and Coomes/Buckland would have been given level 4s for ANY of their steps from their FDs if this wasn't Worlds. That was GLARING. Absolutely glaring. Technical panel decided not to watch their feet? Dissapointed as hell, honestly. The Shibs should have won TES and Chock/Bates should have been second.
As for overall winners, I think I agree with top 3.
That's why I thought Karponosov blubbering on about the panel disadvantaging the Russians kinda, sorta had a point? I don't have that much of a problem with their placements since IMO you saw where both S/K and S/B have limitations even though they skated well. I also don't have a problem with their level calls. I have a problem with the excessive level 4s for many of the other teams. I'd think S/B and S/K would have a legitimate argument saying "What? You actually looked at what we were doing and evaluated our elements on merits while a few others just got a free pass to level fours? What's the deal with that?"

Snow63

Record Breaker
That's why I thought Karponosov blubbering on about the panel disadvantaging the Russians kinda, sorta had a point? I don't have that much of a problem with their placements since IMO you saw where both S/K and S/B have limitations even though they skated well. I also don't have a problem with their level calls. I have a problem with the excessive level 4s for many of the other teams. I'd think S/B and S/K would have a legitimate argument saying "What? You actually looked at what we were doing and evaluated our elements on merits while a few others just got a free pass to level fours? What's the deal with that?"

They got fair call for they Partial Step Sequence in SD if that's what he means. It was exactly what it was, a level 2. But I agree about the last part, yes.

Edit: oh, sorry. I misread Karponosov and Katsalapov. The panel wasn't strict to Russians. It was just WAY TOO forgiving to some teams. Not even funny.

Last edited:

katha

On the Ice
Edit: oh, sorry. I misread Karponosov and Katsalapov. The panel wasn't strict to Russians. It was just WAY TOO forgiving to some teams. Not even funny.
Yeah, so in a roundabout way the Russians got disadvantaged IMO. It wasn't that big a deal, they wouldn't have gotten the third starting place on merit anyway. Sorry, Coomes/Buckland got a level 4 on everything in the SD and FD. EVERYTHING. That's insane. I know the tech controller was British and Dostatni and Shpilband are BFFs, but come on now. This just won't blow up into a bigger deal because it happened further down the ranks, so no one pays that much attention.

Snow63

Record Breaker
Yeah, so in a roundabout way the Russians got disadvantaged IMO. It wasn't that big a deal, they wouldn't have gotten the third starting place on merit anyway. Sorry, Coomes/Buckland got a level 4 on everything in the SD and FD. EVERYTHING. That's insane. I know the tech controller was British and Dostatni and Shpilband are BFFs, but come on now. This just won't blow up into a bigger deal because it happened further down the ranks, so no one pays that much attention.

Papadakis and Weaver are top teams. They were forgiven too. And Fabbri just cheated half of his steps.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
not a stellar comp for my favs WP & SinKats:sad4::sad21::sad21:

But at least the Shibs is still a #1 US pair!!!:agree: