2016 Worlds, General Info & Entries | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2016 Worlds, General Info & Entries

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I think we are saying the same thing. My response is TD Garden will not allow water bottles in - doesn't matter if they are full or empty.

Andrew told you they will not allow any water bottles. So the same answer I received - no bottles allowed.

I agree that the reason for this is they want you to purchase water in TD Garden for $4.50. I remember struggling at Nationals in 2014 trying to refill the bottle of water I purchased in the bathroom. It was extremely difficult to refill because of a very short spout on the faucet and the water would only spray out for about 15 seconds. Of course this was the ladies bathroom and the mens may have been different.

I would think they are probably the same....very difficult to get water out of in many arenas and as I said, if they are the "automatic" type where you wave your hands...and wave and wave, or manual, they are covered in fecal material.
If they have turned off the water to the few hidden fountains (there was a fountain at US nats St Paul but you had to look for it) then you know exactly how much you are appreciated at the arena. Feel the love yet? They are going to make US pay for THEIR added security costs of kicking US out between events instead of letting us stay and eat their arena "food". If people show up from around the world who are not fluant in English with tablets and have to take the T back to their hotel rooms to take them back, how much good will will that generate? Dont get me wrong. I am all for safe and sane camera/electronics policies and I hate fans that think they have a right to use a lens the size of a TOW missel launcher and make clicking noises in my ear or hold up their laptops and take movies in my line of sight...but put all of that in the camera/electronics policy UP FRONT. Not as we are all planning to leave. At worlds LA, they had a checkroom for those that didnt take the opertunity to read the lens policy. Here, you will have to be made to understand (if you are from some far away place) that no, you may not bring in your tablet, and yes, the T is that a way.
Chris taking a smaller cell phone than his G3

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

BTW, I have met Andrew and he is a really nice person, but right now he is under lots of pressure due to the fact that the arena rules keep getting changed and there are going to be even more headaches at the arena then we faced when Nats were there.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Cell phones are ok so far :unsure:. I don't think there is any way that TD Garden can ban the phones. I don't really understand why all this stuff is coming out so close to the event. Someone on FSU suggested that fans holding up tablets to record programs could easily block other fans view. Of course at Nationals they frequently announced that recording the competition on tablets or cell phones was prohibited, but that isn't going to really stop people from recording. And, those fans that are recording when they aren't supposed to be may be the ones who upload to youtube.

On a slightly brighter note the FAQs on the LOC website has been amended to prohibit large bags....so if the bag is smaller it looks like it will be allowed after search. Also, the coffee, tea and small breakfast items have been expanded to cover all the early practices up to 11 a.m.

It is my hope that the LOC and staff take the practice days as opertunities to educate people on what is acceptable and what is not and let things slide for Monday and Tuesday if people inadvertently make mistakes. Many nutricious health teas come in bottles that can be resealed, for instance. Are these legal to bring in before 11 am? We shall see....

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hi - does anyone know if we can bring in stuffed animals to throw onto the ice? :confused:

Or can someone give me Andrew's email address so I can ask? :bow:

Thanks!!

Please let me know the answer, but if it's no then I'm going to smuggle in mine come hell or high water because I did not carry them halfway around the world to take them home again.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Please let me know the answer, but if it's no then I'm going to smuggle in mine come hell or high water because I did not carry them halfway around the world to take them home again.

.... so look for stuffed kangaroos on the ice?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The arena policies keep getting more ridiculous. It's almost as if they don't want anyone showing up at the beginning of these 5-hour sessions. Expect the first hour or two of most events to be ghost towns. :dumb:

In the frame of reference of the arena, the only reason they want ANYONE to show up is to buy their food. Normally, many do not show up to see the early groups of skaters but with 12,000 plus people trying to get through security, folks will soon learn that maybe it is best to get in line earlier than normal just to have a chance to get in...especially if its raining.....that means less time to partake of the local eateries, too. At St Paul US Nats, there were magnetic screeners and bag checkers. You could go out and in at will but you had to pass screening every time you came in....no big deal most of the week as the place was a ghost town till the main events, especially the ladies final. At Worlds Boston, you are forbidden to leave and re-enter as they are overwhelmed with the shear numbers of people they will have to check in twice a day. Look at Thursday. At 18:00 hours, after ladies short, everyone is told to leave. At 19:30, the dance final starts. So, if you are security, you have to clear the arena and then refill it in 90 minutes? Am I understanding that correctly?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
At 19:30, the dance final starts. So, if you are security, you have to clear the arena and then refill it in 90 minutes? Am I understanding that correctly?

At 12k in 12k out that is 267 per minute...or about 4.5 per second. And something tells me getting everyone out after ladies is not likely to be fun or easy.

Something tells me someone on this site actually does have the experience to know how realistic this is.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
At 12k in 12k out that is 267 per minute...or about 4.5 per second. And something tells me getting everyone out after ladies is not likely to be fun or easy.

Something tells me someone on this site actually does have the experience to know how realistic this is.

They do now! I think we should have a pool to guess how many portable metal detectors will be set up. Their problem is that folks will not all arrive at an exact staggered time....hope it isnt raining hard.....the lines could be long....

Skating Gator

Rinkside
Hi everyone! I have 2 questions, I apologize if these have been answered and I missed it. Thank you in advance :)

1.) My mom is a smoker :( (I have tried for years and years to get her to quit). What are her options? If I am reading the TD website correctly, there are no smoking areas. And she cannot leave to go smoke and come back? Is this correct?

2.) If we take a taxi or an uber to TD garden, is there a particular address or entry door/side we should tell them? We are staying at the Embassy Suites which requires a change on the metro system so we might just uber/taxi there and back.

As I said, thank you so much in advance! We are looking forward for this mother/daughter trip :) and to cheer on my former coach who has skaters there!

-Ashley

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why does japan have only 2 spots for men? I thought if 2 skaters place at top 13, they would get 3 spots in the following worlds?

No, the total of the top 2 has to equal or be less than 13, which they had until Javier placed in front of Hanyu to win it all. So Japan ended up with 14pts which means 2 entries.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hi everyone! I have 2 questions, I apologize if these have been answered and I missed it. Thank you in advance :)

1.) My mom is a smoker :( (I have tried for years and years to get her to quit). What are her options? If I am reading the TD website correctly, there are no smoking areas. And she cannot leave to go smoke and come back? Is this correct?

2.) If we take a taxi or an uber to TD garden, is there a particular address or entry door/side we should tell them? We are staying at the Embassy Suites which requires a change on the metro system so we might just uber/taxi there and back.

As I said, thank you so much in advance! We are looking forward for this mother/daughter trip :) and to cheer on my former coach who has skaters there!

-Ashley

Go to the website, Event tab, >contact and email Andrew. While there is no smoking IN the arena, sometimes they will put up a fenced in area outside of a door for smokers. Though you would have thought they would have mentioned that. They also didnt mention the best entryway. But the TD garden site has important pedestrian flow updates
http://www.tdgarden.com/getting-here/

http://www.tdgarden.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/TDG-PedestrianTrafficFlow.pdf

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
BTW, there may be 50 ways to leave your lover but there is only one way into the practice sessions. I have linked a map below the text from the FAQ
"All-event ticket holders with a practice pass may enter the TD Garden lobby from Legends Way and head to the main turnstiles on level two. You will be directed in the appropriate direction from there. This will be the only available entrance during practice sessions."
http://www.tdgarden.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/TDG-PedestrianTrafficFlow.pdf

Note the closed sidewalks....

Skating Gator

Rinkside
Wow, thank you so much CoyoteChris :) we have all-event tickets so this was very helpful. I just e-mailed Andrew about the smoking situation. Thank you for your help! Have a great day.

Skating Gator

Rinkside
FYI to others who have people in their party who smoke :( ...

Heard back from Andrew regarding smoking:

"Unfortunately there will not be a place for her to smoke."

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Look at Thursday. At 18:00 hours, after ladies short, everyone is told to leave. At 19:30, the dance final starts. So, if you are security, you have to clear the arena and then refill it in 90 minutes? Am I understanding that correctly?

That won't happen. You'll never see 12,000 people standing in a huge line to watch the first group of Ice Dancers, with or without re-entry. Most people will arrive around 9pm.

lavoix

Match Penalty
I just saw that the Eurovision/ISU streams will be geoblocked in Australia - what on earth is that all about??? I need more to life than rugby.
What other streams are good to watch the skating?

Also, I'm not good with changing the IP on my computer, could someone be so kind as to provide beginner's instructions? Would be so much appreciated.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I just saw that the Eurovision/ISU streams will be geoblocked in Australia - what on earth is that all about??? ...

IIRC, Australia is going to have live TV coverage.

Look for karne's post in the TV and Streaming thread. I could swear that she already gave the scheduling information for Australian TV.

In any case, at the risk of stating the obvious: the TV and Streaming thread will be a good place to look for future posts re streaming links.

Last edited:

waxel

Final Flight
Of course the question becomes... what is considered a small enough bag to be eligible for entry? I usually carry a sack-pack (like a very skinny vinyl back pack) to events with no problem. But at this one? God knows.

There may be a walk thru line vs. a search (people with bags) line - which would reward people without bags. I can pack a lot into 5 pocket jacket... but argh...

This event will be slammed. There's the World community and then the rabid Boston fans. The entry quagmire could become the stuff of legends. I'm going to try and stay positive- I've waited too long and paid too much- I WILL enjoy this.