2016 Worlds, General Info & Entries | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2016 Worlds, General Info & Entries

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
FYI to others who have people in their party who smoke :( ...

Heard back from Andrew regarding smoking:

"Unfortunately there will not be a place for her to smoke."

Sorry about that, but at least you got an answer...arent there nicotine chicklets she can chew? My mother smoked cigarettes too....I hear that in other countries, smoking is more popular than in the US. I wonder if perhaps our non- US members could chime in and let us know how they handle smoking in other arenas around the world?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
An online acquaintance posted that their tour group leader had been informed of a change in policy and that TD Garden and security decided to ban tablets. That decision was confirmed by the LOC: •TD Garden has a no tablet policy.

I haven't seen this published on the TD Garden or Worlds website so I am not sure how it can be enforced. The only thing as of this morning on either website was a ban on laptops. It is possible that the TD Garden and Worlds website will be updated to reflect this new policy. If I find anything else. I will post the information.

Thanks! Since we are fast reaching the time folks from around the world will be leaving for Boston, I hope the websites do update to reflect the changes....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
That won't happen. You'll never see 12,000 people standing in a huge line to watch the first group of Ice Dancers, with or without re-entry. Most people will arrive around 9pm.

Oh, I believe you. People need to eat more than they need to see the first group of 24 ice dance pairs. But there in and of itself is the problem. If people stay to the end of the ladies, and many will, they leave at 6 pm and will be lucky to find an eatery and get served and finished by 7 pm. We could do this at US nats cause few folks showed up. But we had to rush and plan ahead to keep ahead of the others. And it is no big thing to get everyone inside in the space of two hours depending on the level of security and the number of checking stations. That would be 6,000 and hour or 100 folks a minute. Their map shows two entrances at least. That would be 50 folks a minute through one set of doors, so if things go smoothly, they really only need 7-10 metal detectors an entrance to handle the flow.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sorry about that, but at least you got an answer...arent there nicotine chicklets she can chew? My mother smoked cigarettes too....I hear that in other countries, smoking is more popular than in the US. I wonder if perhaps our non- US members could chime in and let us know how they handle smoking in other arenas around the world?

Easy in Australia. No smoking in the arena and no smoking near doorways or air vents so that the revolting vile smell doesn't get to everyone else.

Not sure if venues would allow pass-outs for smoking here though.

Guess the smokers will just have to suck it up. Maybe it'll cause them to rethink their disgusting choice.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Guess the smokers will just have to suck it up. Maybe it'll cause them to rethink their disgusting choice.
I see it differently and I bet smokers do too. I dont want them smoking anywhere near me. Secondary smoke is dangerous and I probably have COPD because of it.
But if they want to go outside and smoke, are they any better or worse than those loading up on beer in the arena/statium/what have you/ and becomming loud and obnoxious
and getting into fights, etc? Are they any worse than those that over eat? To me, smoking is less disgusting if it is done away from me than people drinking all around me to access. Now chewing tobacco and spitting up into
pop cans....THATS disgusting....
Chris who hopes he never sees Javier spit up a big sluce right before his free skate....

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The SD ends at 1514 on Wednesday and the Opening Ceremony starts at 1700. Just read that the arena will be cleared in between those events.

Batsuchan

Medalist
Please let me know the answer, but if it's no then I'm going to smuggle in mine come hell or high water because I did not carry them halfway around the world to take them home again.

Well, I sent an email yesterday but haven't heard back yet. Maybe they are still finalizing the policy...?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
deleted ... b/c MFarone's information is more recent.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
But ... FYI, the Mar 11 mass e-mail from the LOC says:

Between Events
The TD Garden will be cleared of all spectators, including all-event ticket holders, between each event. Fans may stay in the arena following the short dance competition only.

Did the LOC change its mind and decide to clear the arena after the SD??

(I copied all the policies from the mass e-mail into this post: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...ds-in-Boston&p=1387553&viewfull=1#post1387553.)

Wow, thanks G, Dont know how I missed this emailing but still no mention of tablets? I will go back and see if I can find it in my deleted box....
(Looks like I will have to go to the Goodwill store and find a woman's handbag to replace my man pouch) :scratch2:
I think I will check the FAQ the day before my flight and take a screen shot and print it out. I bought some real coffee in cardboard containers. If they try and take it away from me at practice, I am calling for a manager.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The info about clearing the arena after the SD came out March 17 - another unexpected change passed along by the LOC.

I also got info from the LOC on March 18 that there is some changes on the tablet issue. Not sure what the changes will be but maybe more info will come out soon.

I have to say I am shocked by all the changes this close to the event when many fans are already enroute to the event and perhaps sightseeing and visiting friends/family.

But ... FYI, the Mar 11 mass e-mail from the LOC says:

Between Events
The TD Garden will be cleared of all spectators, including all-event ticket holders, between each event. Fans may stay in the arena following the short dance competition only.

Did the LOC change its mind and decide to clear the arena after the SD??

(I copied all the policies from the mass e-mail into this post: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...ds-in-Boston&p=1387553&viewfull=1#post1387553.)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The info about clearing the arena after the SD came out March 17 - another unexpected change passed along by the LOC.

I also got info from the LOC on March 18 that there is some changes on the tablet issue. Not sure what the changes will be but maybe more info will come out soon.

I have to say I am shocked by all the changes this close to the event when many fans are already enroute to the event and perhaps sightseeing and visiting friends/family.

Sorry to hear about the change.

I will delete my post above with the hope of avoiding confusion.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I have not received any info about food for people on restricted diets in response to my email yet. I will have to call.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I hope you receive an answer Doris. I called last week on behalf of a friend and have not received an answer. Actually I only got voicemail when I called. I left a message, but no reply to that. Guess I could try emailing on my friends behalf. At the risk of board dragging someone on FSU received a very prompt email reply which was for her to bring along her special food in a plastic bag.

I have not received any info about food for people on restricted diets in response to my email yet. I will have to call.

R.D.

Record Breaker
One question I have...

For Wed Evening...would it be possible to catch the opening ceremony, leave, then re-enter for the final groups of the Men SP or would you need to stay for the whole thing?

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This is just a guess on my part, but I think you will have to stay for the entire Men's SP. LOC said on another forum that the arena will be cleared after the SD. When you reenter the arena for the OC they will probably scan your Men's SP ticket. After they scan the ticket I don't think you would be able to leave and then reenter the arena. If you skip the OC and then wait until the last couple of flights of the SP you should be able to enter on your ticket.

One question I have...

For Wed Evening...would it be possible to catch the opening ceremony, leave, then re-enter for the final groups of the Men SP or would you need to stay for the whole thing?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Oh, bummer if true because while it'd be cool to see the OC, I don't wish to stay for the entire Men's SP... :eek:hwell:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, bummer if true because while it'd be cool to see the OC, I don't wish to stay for the entire Men's SP... :eek:hwell:

Why?! The skaters from the little countries who will skate in the earlier groups deserve just as much of a crowd as the so-called "big names"! They are no less worthy of attention! They have still had to work bloody hard to get to this point and they deserve our support even more!

:scowl: :scowl: :scowl: