2017 Autumn Classic Intl FD | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2017 Autumn Classic Intl FD

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Thanks for leaving your sleeve at home Andrew ... this is beautiful, romantic, sensual.... whaaaa i think i really like this!!!!

GGFan

Record Breaker
I want to love W/P's program but I didn't feel any inspiration behind it. I know if it's the fit, the choreography, or what but it's not special.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
There is quite a bit in W/P's program that can potentially go wrong if they get stressed. I'm going to be sitting on the edge of my seat every time they go into their twizzles.

I found that rather Russian in feel.

Andrew's one sleeve look is distracting and not in a good way.

Another one that needs to be digested.

Mao! So glad you're back because I am going to need to watch these dances quite a bit more, I honestly don't know what I think about them.

reneerose

Final Flight
I would enjoy this program more if they used instrumental versions of MR...

(Ewan McGregor as a vocalist... and whoever does the rroooxxaaaaannnneee gravel voice thing...) :gaah:

but the actual skating is very enjoyable and I think this program works for them (vocals aside)
I could not stand the gravel voice person either.

Got the Perry Mason TV show vibes from Paul and Piper and started thinking, wait is this a piece of classical music used FOR Perry Mason....expecting some noir and a Fedora hat...maybe for the exhibition program...

Kaitlyn and Andrew love the Spartacus music...finally something not overused.....

Part of me really wonders if V/M had retired.....where K/A and P/P would be.....

MsSweetie

Rinkside
I want to love all the dances... I got goosebumps from V/M's skate but aside from that, there were some good highlights of both W/P and G/P but I just didn't connect to them. Everyone looked perplexed about their scores though.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I would enjoy this program more if they used instrumental versions of MR...

(Ewan McGregor as a vocalist... and whoever does the rroooxxaaaaannnneee gravel voice thing...) :gaah:

but the actual skating is very enjoyable and I think this program works for them (vocals aside)

What I loved about Moulin Rouge was that it was a messy, winky, pastiche movie. Tessa and Scott are not pastiche! They should be skating to something that befits their originalism and superior skating, but Patrice said they were the ones who wanted to skate to Moulin Rouge. Taste varies I guess . . .

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Those are the best Spartacus costumes I've ever seen.

I don't know what I think about the program yet. Part of me thinks, oh Morozov, what have you done with my dramatic, powerful team?! Another part of me likes the progression of the story line within the program and the placement & style of the lifts. Potential, I think.

We'll see how it grows throughout the season.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
It took me a while to like last years free dance from V/M but this one is much more accessible. It needs work though. Speed, certainly and it needs more exposure. They always change these FDs. They normally are under constant revision and I'm sure this one will be too. but I liked it. Best FD of the night for sure.

Not sure about G/P's FD. Not sure at all.

W/P were sloppy to my eye. It's nice, it's romantic but it's kind of unfinished to me.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Can somebody more knowledgable enlighten me, why V/M get around 10 points more than G/P and W/P?
I liked all 3 pairs. My number 1 is G/P, and I've always loved their programs. I love Moulin Rouge (movie), and I liked V/M dance on some of its songs. I also loved the Spartacus program. But I don't understand the points difference. G/P and W/P always look a bit sad with the marks.

reneerose

Final Flight
Piper and Paul are so weird and I love it all. :love: I kept thinking, man, this feels like an '80s mystery show only to find out that's basically what it is, so kudos to them for conveying the mood.

And Tessa and Scott are gorgeous as always but there's an odd musical disconnect for me--as soon as the music builds, they just stay the same. Once the music comes back down again they're right in sync but not when it's big and dramatic.
Actually it's originally a 1950's legal drama...I was a bit perplexed as I thought it was from a classical composer but it isn't....

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Protocols and Levels will explain I think the reason for G/P and W/P's mark puzzlement. My guess is that W/P's twizzles didn't score well.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Piper and Paul's FD's opening and closing look a lot like the opening and closing of the Hitchcock routine they did last Olympic season.

bramweld

Record Breaker
A+; V/M, they were a bit rough around the edges but that was impactful, and well thought out and it suits them to a T. I also love her dress.

B+; G/P, I am appreciating this dance in pieces, it didn't quite hook me like their Hitchcock. I think I need to go watch it again, but it is full of innovation and great transitions and a healthy dose of sophistication. Let's hope it develops in time.

B; W/P, This Spartacus lacks the verve and build that the dance should have. I keep on expecting as with the ballet some sort of climax but it just remains on a single level. Their lifts are also so dicey looking, 2 out of 3 forces him to shift to one leg. That's so dicey for a nervy Olympic season. I am a bit disappointed I've almost never seen them so unprepared at the beginning of a season, not to mention an Olympic season. In actuality I put this all squarely on Morozov:palmf:.

sarama

Medalist
Did Scott almost whack Tessa in the face at one point? She seemed to visibly lose balance right before the Carmen lift and the program never really got back to where it was after that.

To me as well something weird happened at that point...

Did anyone ever tell WeaPo that Je suis malade is their best FD ever because they looked INTENSE and EMOTIONALLY INVOLVED?
Because this was one very detached interpretation of Spartacus, and I might forgive them just because I like the SD (and Andrew)

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I only caught Weaver/Poje, and I liked what I saw. The dance is very Morozov, there's some similarities with their last season FD too. I like them, big bright exterior, powerful skating and music is definitely helping.

Edit: I also liked that they didn't follow Montreal path and didn't simplify their lifts. We need some good old acrobatics, or we will get bored to death.

nimi

Medalist
Piper and Paul's FD's opening and closing look a lot like the opening and closing of the Hitchcock routine they did last Olympic season.
They thought about bringing that program back (because they didn't get to skate that one in the Olympics) but in the end decided to do a new one but in the similar vein (the film noir aspect)

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Piper and Paul: Lots of fun and wow at those lifts!

Tessa and Scott: Loved the opening, was ready to put my doubts aside in the first half... and then... underwhelming finish. It's entirely possible as the program evolves I'll love the whole thing and not just the start, but for now I remain somewhat skeptical.

Kaitlyn and Andrew: The way to my heart is uncut (or barely cut) classical music! I think this one has tons of potential, though again the beginning was the most exciting.

Barb

Record Breaker
I think V/M program can get better, I think this is the climax of Tango de Roxanne https://youtu.be/UotQoW81_BQ?t=106, and they should be doing a spectacular step seq, but they are skating very subtly in that part IMO. And they are abusing again of two foot skating. But I love Scott commitment, yesterday I almost felt he was invisible and now he was the leader.

W/P I liked more than I thought.

G/P I liked it . But there are many parts where they are very disconnected from each other, and she could improve the dress and hairstyle. I suppose they are making new lifts because some look very laboured.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Same. I'm thinking they lost levels in some places.

You know what? It wasn't bad. McNamara & Carpenter lost two levels on the combination spin, which is interesting because it is an upgraded new skill for them and they had a level four for it at Lake Placid. But they also earned their first senior level-three footwork sequence, and I think that is the most important for them. They need to get those level-three footwork sequences.

You know, I'm really proud of them. This was a tough field. Quite a lineup to skate with in your first Challenger event. And so many teams really skated well today. They defeated the Danes on the technical mark in the free as well as in the SD and overall. M&C had all kinds of rough performances last season; but today and yesterday when they really needed to be solid, they have done so. They've gone four for four this season. Four solid performances. I could not ask more of them in their first two senior competitions. I want the world for them; but right now, this is a place to start. And a very good learning experience. To skate on the ice with all these top Canadian teams and have a good competition.