2017 Four Continents Short Dance | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Short Dance

KMK0902

On the Ice
I may be the only one here that feels nothing when watching the Shibs SD. I have seen it live twice and they are precise, have some interesting choreography but it can not hold my attention like some of the other SDs that actually feel like they have some life and soul to them.
Nope - you are not alone..... they leave me stone cold :(

Barb

Record Breaker
When I compare this SD from the Shibs to the one from 2013, i.e. the Missing Polka, as far as execution I can see improvements and clearly so do the judges.

Ugh!!! That program!!! I know they had to change the program at the last minute but what the hell they and their team were thinking about!!!:palmf:

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Me too. Actually the worse was the death of our cockatoo. I still cry when I think about it and it's been more than 12 years. I don't know if you know exotic birds but they have huge personalities. I used to shower with him and then blow dry him while he ran around screaming with joy on top of his cage. He would grind his beak when he was happy. It was like having a toddler. They are smart and mischievous and always up to something. The stories I could tell about Pinielli.

Wife 1.0 had an African Grey Parrot. I have always been a birder but you are right, these house birds have very interesting and complex personalities. GF 1.0 I have known for over 45 years and she is a veterinarian near Novi, MI. She has a number of house birds and they are her life besides birding.

Chris who refuses to try and understand ice dance judging after seeing the 100+ page rule book. :eeking:
"David Santee, line one"
GO SHIBS!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Nope - you are not alone..... they leave me stone cold :(

also...Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
I may be the only one here that feels nothing when watching the Shibs SD. I have seen it live twice and they are precise, have some interesting choreography but it can not hold my attention like some of the other SDs that actually feel like they have some life and soul to them.

As much as I love the Shibs, this SD does little for me. Maybe I should try and watch it with the music off and see what I think. :noshake:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
also...Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post

As much as I love the Shibs, this SD does little for me. Maybe I should try and watch it with the music off and see what I think. :noshake:

I tried that experiment with GPF FDs. It's interesting to see how much music influences our judgement. Those who want a purely technical critique should indulge in this kind of viewing.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
thanks a lot

I mean, after all - it's mostly about our personal preference and perceptions on actual performance which have an influence on our opinions over scores/judging and we can't help it, especially those who have heavy favourites.

For me, in Shibutanis case it is all about constant strong work, persistence and right choices/changes made which led them to this kind of scoring now, it's not like sudden meteoric rise. Better, or 'more fitting' material paired with solid, sharp execution really helps in perception of the team as a whole. And yes - I get it that their programs are not everybody's cup of tea, but looking at the whole field they really stepped it up, they maintain solid-rock execution, are in synch, earn their levels (usually) which is a great and much-needed base to be rewarded in PCS. .

Well written, and well put....now I feel better! Go Shibs! :biggrin:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I tried that experiment with GPF FDs. It's interesting to see how much music influences our judgement. Those who want a purely technical critique should indulge in this kind of viewing.

I will try it...if I were not retired and had some free time, I would try dubbing in my own music....So many POTO/ALW/Sarah Brightman/Keltic songs, so little time.... ;)
Off to lunch with friends

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Does that fan who used to make "feet only" video for ice dance still do that? I think it'd be interesting to see for the current crop. It'll probably be hard for them to do that for the 4CC videos considering how often the feet were NOT shown for the performances.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
You are certainly not alone. I guess it's the lack of charisma. They just can't draw me in either.
I think they need to try to find the right vehicle. Being siblings and probably raised in a somewhat more traditional fashion their personalities are very kind, friendly but that doesn't always translate well.

JustMe

On the Ice
Shibutanis' short dance is not my favorite program this season, but it has actually grown on me. In my opinion, the program itself is well designed. My only reservation is that certain sections seem choreographed/catered to the judges, and if intentional, I question that decision because hip-hop as a dance form (and this type of program in general) strives on bringing the audience in-and that's exactly what's missing for many spectators. But nevertheless, the judges are responding positively to it, and ultimately, those are the opinions that matter most in this sport.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Does that fan who used to make "feet only" video for ice dance still do that? I think it'd be interesting to see for the current crop. It'll probably be hard for them to do that for the 4CC videos considering how often the feet were NOT shown for the performances.

During V/M, it went from a shot showing only their feet and legs to cutting off the bottom third of their bodies at one point. I was like, 'you know you can zoom out and actually show the whole body at once right?'

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
During V/M, it went from a shot showing only their feet and legs to cutting off the bottom third of their bodies at one point. I was like, 'you know you can zoom out and actually show the whole body at once right?'

I really hope they mean it when they say 4CC is being used as a test event to learn from, which also includes camera work. Does NBC still use their own feeds?

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

Dear SnowWhite, you are my hero of the day - as Your avatar is my wallpaper in laptop, this CD at Vancouver OG was one neverending photo opportunity and I see that I have a good taste :laugh:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I really hope they mean it when they say 4CC is being used as a test event to learn from, which also includes camera work. Does NBC still use their own feeds?

We can only hope.

Dear SnowWhite, you are my hero of the day - as Your avatar is my wallpaper in laptop, this CD at Vancouver OG was one neverending photo opportunity and I see that I have a good taste :laugh:

Aww thanks :). It was so hard to pick just one picture of them, but this one was just too perfect.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Ugh!!! That program!!! I know they had to change the program at the last minute but what the hell they and their team were thinking about!!!:palmf:

Funny enough, the original version is much better with much better music editing and choreography, but it wasn't the best program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh8DF9apLLs

Even just looking at the execution, the Shibs really did improve big time from four seasons ago.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Believe it or not, the McDonalds in town is down for maintenance too! (The people in town are ready to mutiny...they need their Big Mac fix and it will be closed for a month!)

Ours was closed for several months as well, for a makeover and to add a second drive-thru lane. Fortunately there were no riots as there is another, smaller outlet in a WalMart. It was mobbed during the closure. What could be more cliched low-brow than going to McD's in a WalMart?

Last edited:

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Ours was closed for several months as well, for a makeover and to add a second drive-thru lane. Fortunately there were no riots as there is another, smaller outlet in a WalMart. It was mobbed during the closure. What could be more cliched low-brow than going to McD's in a WalMart?

Going to one in a gas station? (the nearest McD's during the remodel is 20 minutes away in a gas station!) The trials of small town America!

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I thought she said strong, not calm. I may be wrong.

I had to re watch their program. I re watched the program and noticed the twizzle mistake but I missed her fall on the foot work. Oh my.. unfortunate.. i LOVE that SD its fantastic.. I also am obsessed with Virtue/Moir and the Shibs SD too, I also really like Chock/ Bates too.. seriously.. the best thing ISU did for ice dance was make the theme that type of music this year. Awesome to watch!