2017 GP Cup of China Pairs SP | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Cup of China Pairs SP

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Re Yu & Zhang Swan Lake, he is supposed to be the aloof, evil magician Rothbart, she the swan trying to escape. What connection do you want them to show, for that story :confused: It is not a piece for lovey dovey locked gazes and excessive PDoAs, IMO.

It is a good choice for them, given the age difference, his menacing size, and her balletic beauty.

https://www.reference.com/art-literature/story-swan-lake-552450c45cc85726#full-answer

She is lovely :love:

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I have to say that Wenjing/Cong's program is maybe not the most striking concept-wise, not as sassy/exuberant like their previous SPs, but somehow it casts such a strong spell visually and expression-wise. It simply flows with this lyrical, simplistic energy - and this is actually quite a new dimension and perspective of their skating that embraces more subdued visuals, but stronger connection on emotional/interpretation levels. What striked me the most about the whole picture is how personal it looks, how they are into it together - how it feels like they want to share that moment between them; the eye contact, subtle hand gestures - all were about that bond, understanding and greatly incorporated within the music.

They proved yet again that they are quite masterful - despite such young age - in making difficulty looking effortless and accessible on performance level for probably anyone; they mastered for me the synergy between movement and music, harmonious exchange of emotion inside of that, simply capturing a moment in exquisite way. They made me not paying attention to elements, so crutial for Pairs skating - this re-focus on a 'bigger picture' and other qualities, nt typically associated with Pairs gives them an edge and universal praise I'd say, pretty much regardless of a program.

Again, fantastic musicality, even with such understated piece of music - all elements matched music so well, lyrics even. The quality, polish, elegance and flourish of throw, tano twist, death spiral, spin - just phenomenal, this shows that they are building their story, creating a moment to remember on such strong, refined basis they cannot be denied of. I think that the strenght of execution matched also the strenght of the performance - with them, both perspectives kind of mingle with each other.

Russian ESP commentators said during their SP that there is 'dancing quality/aesthetic' in their performance - for me, it proves my opinion about Sui/Han universal appeal when it comes to presentation of their material: they are capable of merging different elements, introducing more of a dance-like flow/transitions/figures and overall sensibility into competitive programs, which is very rare and rare to be successful.

Also, this more 'lyrical' SP shows their maturity growing for me and being conscious over the direction making them both comfortable and effective - their connection seems more stronger, personalities are bolder than before, yet perfectly in synch, all transitions in and out of elements seem so well-thought and polished. I think it's something to be said also about having a strong, individual concept of a program in Pairs, not only in Ice Dance, and to execute, to lead it in such majestic way, yet making it close to so many people. And on top of that - the program simply moved me as a whole.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
I have to say that Wenjing/Cong's program is maybe not the most striking concept-wise, not as sassy/exuberant like their previous SPs, but somehow it casts such a strong spell visually and expression-wise. It simply flows with this lyrical, simplistic energy - and this is actually quite a new dimension and perspective of their skating that embraces more subdued visuals, but stronger connection on emotional/interpretation levels. What striked me the most about the whole picture is how personal it looks, how they are into it together - how it feels like they want to share that moment between them; the eye contact, subtle hand gestures - all were about that bond, understanding and greatly incorporated within the music.

They proved yet again that they are quite masterful - despite such young age - in making difficulty looking effortless and accessible on performance level for probably anyone; they mastered for me the synergy between movement and music, harmonious exchange of emotion inside of that, simply capturing a moment in exquisite way. They made me not paying attention to elements, so crutial for Pairs skating - this re-focus on a 'bigger picture' and other qualities, nt typically associated with Pairs gives them an edge and universal praise I'd say, pretty much regardless of a program.

Again, fantastic musicality, even with such understated piece of music - all elements matched music so well, lyrics even. The quality, polish, elegance and flourish of throw, tano twist, death spiral, spin - just phenomenal, this shows that they are building their story, creating a moment to remember on such strong, refined basis they cannot be denied of. I think that the strenght of execution matched also the strenght of the performance - with them, both perspectives kind of mingle with each other.

Russian ESP commentators said during their SP that there is 'dancing quality/aesthetic' in their performance - for me, it proves my opinion about Sui/Han universal appeal when it comes to presentation of their material: they are capable of merging different elements, introducing more of a dance-like flow/transitions/figures and overall sensibility into competitive programs, which is very rare and rare to be successful.

Also, this more 'lyrical' SP shows their maturity growing for me and being conscious over the direction making them both comfortable and effective - their connection seems more stronger, personalities are bolder than before, yet perfectly in synch, all transitions in and out of elements seem so well-thought and polished. I think it's something to be said also about having a strong, individual concept of a program in Pairs, not only in Ice Dance, and to execute, to lead it in such majestic way, yet making it close to so many people. And on top of that - the program simply moved me as a whole.

(once again)masterful post about masterful pair :luv17: you wrote everything i feel about them :love:

also regarding "dance" aspect of their program, BESP commentators also mentioned this, and Cong said in an interview last year that they dont want their programs to be one element to another but they want to mix it with ice dance moves to make the program whole (not word by word but as in general meaning of what he said :biggrin:) so i say mission accomplished :dance:

Bcash

Final Flight

I quite agree. This is a very mature, sophisticated program for them, almost like a natural further step in the evolution of their aesthetic as a team. The emotional tone is a continuation of their LP last year, but condensed and distilled in a beautifully choreographed SP. Really hushes an audience down and casts a spell. Reminds me a little bit of Kim's 2014 SP in terms of tone and effect.

Also the camera angle in CoC is not the best. Some of the fine touches were not necessarily highlighted and can feel lost on the screen.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
(once again)masterful post about masterful pair :luv17: you wrote everything i feel about them :love:

also regarding "dance" aspect of their program, BESP commentators also mentioned this, and Cong said in an interview last year that they dont want their programs to be one element to another but they want to mix it with ice dance moves to make the program whole (not word by word but as in general meaning of what he said :biggrin:) so i say mission accomplished :dance:

:eek::, thank you, matmuh, I just went with the flow like they went for their program, if I'm feeling inspired/moved by performance, words are coming by themselves. I'm glad I was able to give out also Your opinion:)

rollerblade

Record Breaker
They proved yet again that they are quite masterful - despite such young age - in making difficulty looking effortless and accessible on performance level for probably anyone; they mastered for me the synergy between movement and music, harmonious exchange of emotion inside of that, simply capturing a moment in exquisite way. They made me not paying attention to elements, so crutial for Pairs skating - this re-focus on a 'bigger picture' and other qualities, not typically associated with Pairs gives them an edge and universal praise I'd say, pretty much regardless of a program.

Kurt Browning said it best at Worlds (about their FS) - This skate plays out like an exhibition number, where the priorities are on artistry, not elements... but it has the elements as well.

Btw, are the pairs not allowed to do quad twist in the short? They kinda need that edge since they only have SBS toes instead of lutzes from other pairs.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Lovely skate from S/H, everything so well done. They are throwing down the gauntlet for OGM. I really like Y/Z and this programme suit both their strength. She is incredibly elegant on the ice, she catches you eye. I hope DM/G can hold on to 3rd, I love their SP, the BESP guys were not to keen. Was Matteo wearing see through tight? I think I could see his underwear.

MT/M2 did well. I’m still unsure of him in the lifts, I always think he will drop her. But with S/B and I/M not being amazing so far they could grab a Canadian Olympic spot.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Kurt Browning said it best at Worlds (about their FS) - This skate plays out like an exhibition number, where the priorities are on artistry, not elements... but it has the elements as well.

Btw, are the pairs not allowed to do quad twist in the short? They kinda need that edge since they only have SBS toes instead of lutzes from other pairs.

The thing is, D/R don't really execute their lutzes superbly, so it sort of balances out. It's the same with some of the quad throws, which if theres even the slightest error, it becomes worth as much as a well-executed easier throw.

I really love S/H's program -- like many I preferred the one last year. But it's still the SP to beat... everything they do is such quality, whereas the other teams have some weaker elements, which widen the gap just a bit.

I wonder if they're going for 2 quads in the FS? (Tw and Th)

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice

Wonderfully said! For me, they're the most complete and well matched pair out there today.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
British Eurosport guys and I laughed at the same time when they stepped out on their SBS jumps at the same time. :laugh:

Well it is pairs skating I guess they got points for unison?? Sui and Han = the oly title is their's. Look at those scores!!!! Wow. Unbeatable. I prefer though other versions of Halleluljah. Kind of sad that others are using Halleluljah but it isn't Carmen.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Just watched pairs short. Sui/Han :luv17: Tech, flow, connection... they have it all. .. an olympic medal!

I think they are unbeatable. Not just here. The Germans don't have the flow or magic. I am not sure I buy this music for them but it doesn't matter they are just so wonderful and perfect. I thought S and K from Russia years ago might be like this but they seem foreer injured and i have lost hope for them. Sui and Han - olympic gold!

- - - Updated - - -

Is it just me or Han just becomes really sexy:love:

Ah just you!

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Ok, I finally got caught up on all the pairs short programs.

Hot damn, Sui and Han gave me all the feels. Every last one

Who was it who said earlier that they hated k.d. lang’s version of Hallelujah? s_parks? Get in here now and fight me.

:ddevil::taunt::rofl: