2017 GPF Short Dance | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2017 GPF Short Dance

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I thought Madi & Evan looked more comfortable with their skate this time with the exception of the cautious twizzles. I do see a beige ankle wrap on Madison's one foot. Liked their music a lot and it is very fun and is growing on me. I even am getting used to the costume colors, just wishing Madison had less going on. She looked like an iguana given a shock at one point.

well, for me Madison gives her all and even more performing this SD - and I'm on board with that; agree though on dress...even losing those weird green 'pieces' stuck out of the cutout in her middle part and some of 'tail' pieces would much improve the look, I would personally make the 'tail' out of shiny fringe in deep blue to get an aquamarine contrast to the dress. In general, my dream dress for Madison would be high-low in cut, much more clean-cut in the upper part with exception of some fringe-y arn cuffs to really highlight their movement, open back, lower part/skirt made out of fringe, all in green/blue hues to create that aquamarine palette.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I cannot believe anyone would refer to the Shibutani's as wearing "tacky costumes"!?!! I thought they were the best dressed of them all!

well...when there's no other 'excuse', blame it onto the costumes (even if that intricately made, perfect in movement and effective in performance, duh);)

ChanClan

On the Ice
I still hate p/c sd lift. I know it meets all the requirements for a lvl 4 and they execute it well to warrant good GOEs but it just doesn't look like a lift that you want to see your top team do. I've seen some people calling it juniorish and I have to agree. Also don't like that Gabby isn't facing the judges.

rosy14

Final Flight
Too funny. Which "experts" and "commentators"? And judges' preference for P/C can be explained by many factors, like the actual skating maybe?

I wonder what would you say if V/M scores higher in the FD.

I’d say someone among the judges is not so convinced about the celestial qualities of P/C.
As for commentators and experts, those who talk on TV during the competitions, write on magazines and blogs devoted to figure skatings, post on various websites, have FS TV or web programmes, give interviews if coaches...THOSE PEOPLE.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Honestly, if the best criticism one can come up with is that the Shibutanis wears tacky costumes, then I'll just consider that a backhanded compliment of their actual skating. :biggrin:

rosy14

Final Flight
And Canada don't I suppose ? :drama:

Nobody in France know PC.

I don’t mean France as a Nation, France as French Federation of figure skating. And I hope someone in France as a Nation knows Gabrielle and Guillaume.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I still hate p/c sd lift. I know it meets all the requirements for a lvl 4 and they execute it well to warrant good GOEs but it just doesn't look like a lift that you want to see your top team do. I've seen some people calling it juniorish and I have to agree. Also don't like that Gabby isn't facing the judges.

I have issue with that element as well. They perform clearly less complex & difficult lift (and lifts in general, not just this one) than other teams but it makes like no difference overall. It's objectively good looking lift, but you'd like to see something more challenging from skaters of this format. The rules are too lax perhaps if one can be struck by that.

peepsquick

Final Flight
I don’t mean France as a Nation, France as French Federation of figure skating. And I hope someone in France as a Nation knows Gabrielle and Guillaume.

They are just starting to be on the radar ... they might be better known in the US and Canada as V/M's rivals. But there are many people from everywhere who enjoy their skills and artistry. IMO it should be about appreciating quality/beauty vs rooting for one's own nationality. It would make it all around more enjoyable.

lost3iron

More Rock & Roll please!
On the Ice
I don't know if it's Ed Sheeran or P/C but their SD is the one I've watched on repeat today. I have zero knowledge about levels and stuff but this was the program that I've enjoyed the most today as a completely casual fan. The only annoying fact is that now I can sing by heart the lyrics to the "Shape of you"...

qwertyskates

Medalist
Talking about programs, it is a mystery to me why isn't anyone skating to Olympic theme music like "Chariots of Fire" by Vangelis, for example?:scratch2: That is great to skate to, with its multi-layered rhythm, bass, melody...better than MR, Hallelujah, etc. I hope for the next Olympics, someone will try Vangelis.

Bcash

Final Flight
I cannot believe anyone would refer to the Shibutani's as wearing "tacky costumes"!?!! I thought they were the best dressed of them all!

Wow. Don't you find the flesh-colored tops frumpy, cheaply made and not at all complimentary to their skin tones?

Bcash

Final Flight
Honestly, if the best criticism one can come up with is that the Shibutanis wears tacky costumes, then I'll just consider that a backhanded compliment of their actual skating. :biggrin:

Oh far from it. Their deceleration, stiff torsos, barely adequate extensions are all problems with their skating. Some of the Pair skaters create more pleasing visual rhythms in their dance moves than the Shibs.

ChanClan

On the Ice
I have issue with that element as well. They perform clearly less complex & difficult lift (and lifts in general, not just this one) than other teams but it makes like no difference overall. It's objectively good looking lift, but you'd like to see something more challenging from skaters of this format. The rules are too lax perhaps if one can be struck by that.

Totally agree. They are way to good to be doing less complex and difficult lifts than some of their other competitors. I think i would like it better too if Gabby didn't have her back to the judges. It just doesn't seem as impactful for her to have her back to them, especially on the final element. Even facing forward or like in the fd, looking at Gui, would just make the lift look better in my eyes.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oh far from it. Their deceleration, stiff torsos, barely adequate extensions are all problems with their skating. Some of the Pair skaters create more pleasing visual rhythms in their dance moves than the Shibs.

Oh, I got your point from earlier. I just chose to spin it to my liking. :biggrin:

chloepoco

Medalist
Wow. Don't you find the flesh-colored tops frumpy, cheaply made and not at all complimentary to their skin tones?

Definitely not frumpy; can't tell from TV if they are cheaply made, and did not find it uncomplimentary to their skin tone. I like their costumes, and think Maia especially looks stunning in hers.

alain06fr

On the Ice
IMO, Gabby & Guillaume are better dancers but Tessa & Scott are better skaters.

The ultimate goal in ice dance is to completely hide all the technical elements by blending them into the choreography. Only the best skaters can fully reach that goal. In other words, the best dancers must be the best skaters. It can't be otherwise. So are Tessa and Scott better skaters than Gabriella and Guillaume or vice-versas? Of course not. Both couples have different technical backgrounds and their own strengths but all are great skaters.

As the British Eurosport commentators said about Gabby and Guillaume's free dance at the European Championships 2016:
"You can't comprehend how difficult that was, and how easy they made it look"
This comment summarises perfectly the ice dance challenge. One could take a similar example with Tessa and Scott.

The main difference I see is on the non technical aspects and this is where our personal tastes come into play.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I don't know anything about ice dance. I'm trying to dive into it this season.
I have to say, VM is my favorite. They are amazing!!! I watched some of their older programs and I love all of them. I like how there is always at least one moment that just makes me go like "what?? how?? what happened there?? how did they do that???" lol
They have such amazing chemistry and always have great music.
And that's what got in the way when I tried watching PC's short. I can't stand that music!!!!!! I watched it once and the music just made them look cheesy because it is so bad. lol
So, I already kinda dislike their skating.
But then again, I know nothing about ice dance. I'll try to learn. I'm reading a couple of things about the technical aspects here and there and it seems to be as interesting as singles.
Oh, and I enjoyed the Shibs as well! They are very expressive (both of them). It seems that in ice dance the woman is always more expressive... I don't know if it's just me or if that's the reality. And if it is, I don't know how that would influence the scoring.
As I said: I know nothing. [emoji23]
But still wanted to give my *One cent* because this is the internet, the place where people share their meaningless opinions about things they don't know anything about. [emoji3]

Alba

Record Breaker
Better in what? Slow skating or tacky costumes?

Well, I gues we can say De gustibus non disputandum est, with regards to costumes.
Slow skating who, H&B? Absolutely.

thank You, Alba, a lot for your response!:)

I'm far too non-knowledgeable about coaches, but I really adore your programs' ideas posted...myself, I had also an idea of 'Pina' soundtrack as for FD or 'Misericordes' ballet choreographed by Christoper Wheeldon. Tessa and Scott are generally a walking inspiration regarding choreography/ideas for the program - they are very 'pliable' to different stuff and can pull off a lot of things, just not all of them are equally successful and effective competition-wise.

Those are great ideas too. :agree: You don't have to copy the same movements. The idea, the concept only, is suffice. You go to a choreographer and say I have this image in my mind. I want to express this and that. It's his/her job to translate all that into movements/dance. Even from a poetry or a book subject you can pull off smth great. A theatrical piece would be another great source too.

I mean look at Stolbova&Klimov's FP "The Man and the Shadow" in 2015/2016. It came from a political documentary. Actually I think the music was the inspiration for her, haunting and dark. They went to Morozov and he did a great choreo for them. It was original and new. The same Morozov who has done plenty of generic crap also before. The idea and concept is crucial, IMO. Especially in ID, when you do not have the big elements. Therefore, the storytelling through body movements and performance is really important.

As you rightly put it, Tessa and Scott are blessed with natural talent and their strength is the versatility. They can do drama, they can do sexy, playfulness. They can do rock, dark or romance. They had a vaste choice and what do they pick? "I love you. You love me. I am sooooooooo passionate about you. You're hot, I'm hot. Life isn't just, we can't be together. I die." :sarcasm: yeah no. I can watch The Notebook, if I want that.

I am being deliberately harsh because I hold them in high regard as skaters. They are so much more than THAT and I am a bit pissed they went with "safe".

musicfan80

Medalist

The Shibs' costumes are tacky?! Compared to what we've seen in ice dance, that is beyond laughable. If any costumes were tacky today it's those "tails" on Chock's dress. Why isn't it obvious how distracting they are?

I do think that Alex's shirt would look better if they had some specks that are from the colors of Maia's dress skirt. I think it would make Alex "pop" more, if that makes sense.