2017 Worlds Short Dance | Page 49 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Short Dance

rain

Record Breaker
Well whoever said there would be no surprises in this dance event was dead wrong. I'm not surprised to see V/M on top, but the point spread is a surprise. In my opinion it's well-deserved. Their SD has been a standout all season, while the French have really struggled with theirs. I would never have expected the American teams to be so close to the French (It's a virtual tie for 2-4), and certainly wouldn't have predicted H/D to be the one with the slight edge. It's a fascinating shakeup in U.S. dance. Of the next three, the French have by far the best FD and I think they will pull it out for silver. And while I loathe it, C/B have been scoring surprisingly well with their ugly FD this year, so I think bronze might be theirs. I don't know if the Shibs can make up the point differential, and they have to be looking over their shoulders as well, as they are virtually tied with W/P.

What a fight the FD will be!

All I can say it, material next year will be very important as they decide the Olympic medals.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well whoever said there would be no surprises in this dance event was dead wrong. I'm not surprised to see V/M on top, but the point spread is a surprise. In my opinion it's well-deserved. Their SD has been a standout all season, while the French have really struggled with theirs. I would never have expected the American teams to be so close to the French (It's a virtual tie for 2-4), and certainly wouldn't have predicted H/D to be the one with the slight edge. It's a fascinating shakeup in U.S. dance. Of the next three, the French have by far the best FD and I think they will pull it out for silver. And while I loathe it, C/B have been scoring surprisingly well with their ugly FD this year, so I think bronze might be theirs. I don't know if the Shibs can make up the point differential, and they have to be looking over their shoulders as well, as they are virtually tied with W/P.

What a fight the FD will be!

All I can say it, material next year will be very important as they decide the Olympic medals.

A classic case of different strokes for different folks.

While I'm not a big C/B fan... I've already said H/D are my fav American dancers... I think their FD this year is the best work they've done since the Olympic season. I love it.

glorybox6

Final Flight
So disappointed to see L/L just miss the free dance. How disappointing for French dance.

This hasn't been France's worlds in general thus far, has it?

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
For fun, Ice Dance 2018 Olympic and Worlds spots if the SP standings were the final standings:

SP Results

3 spots

Canada (1 + 6 = 7)
USA (3 + 4 = 7)

2 spots

France (2 + 18 = 20)
Italy (7 + 11 = 18)
Russia (8 + 10 = 18)

Olympic Spots (19 determined here out of 24 total, remaining 5 at Nebelhorn)

(1) Canada
(2) Canada
(3) Canada
(4) USA
(5) USA
(6) USA
(7) France
(8) France
(9) Italy
(10) Italy
(11) Russia
(12) Russia
(13) Israel
(14) Denmark
(15) Ukraine
(16) Poland
(17) Spain
(18) Turkey
(19) China

Weirdly, all other disciplines have 4 Warmup Groups' worth of entries qualifying through Worlds and 1 Warmup Group through Nebelhorn, but Ice Dance oddly only has 19 entries through Worlds (4 full Warmup Groups is 20)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For fun, Ice Dance 2018 Olympic and Worlds spots if the SP standings were the final standings:

SP Results

3 spots

Canada (1 + 6 = 7)
USA (3 + 4 = 7)

2 spots

France (2 + 18 = 20)
Italy (7 + 11 = 18)
Russia (8 + 10 = 18)

Olympic Spots (19 determined here out of 24 total, remaining 5 at Nebelhorn)

(1) Canada
(2) Canada
(3) Canada
(4) USA
(5) USA
(6) USA
(7) France
(8) France
(9) Italy
(10) Italy
(11) Russia
(12) Russia
(13) Israel
(14) Denmark
(15) Ukraine
(16) Poland
(17) Spain
(18) Turkey
(19) China

Weirdly, all other disciplines have 4 Warmup Groups' worth of entries qualifying through Worlds and 1 Warmup Group through Nebelhorn, but Ice Dance oddly only has 19 entries through Worlds (4 full Warmup Groups is 20)

Out of 24 Olympic spots, half of those will go to five countries. This might have made sense at one time, but many more countries are fielding teams, and I think the ISU needs to look at this.

I haven' really looked, but the situation may be even more eye-popping in pairs.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I just watched the top five SDs and I actually think H/D deserved to be second in the SD. They skated that dance better than they had all season long and they were just on fire. Their technical skill really shone today. I still believe the Shibs can pull off a bronze though.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Out of 24 Olympic spots, half of those will go to five countries. This might have made sense at one time, but many more countries are fielding teams, and I think the ISU needs to look at this.

I haven' really looked, but the situation may be even more eye-popping in pairs.

Pairs has the issue that all of the Worlds spots went to countries who earned multiple spots (since the US technically earned 2 spots and loses out on the technicality, it still counts)

Ice Diva

On the Ice
So happy that my three favourite dance teams are on top in the short dance! Wow H/D! Amazing and well deserved season's best.

nocturnalis

Medalist
Someone know why Shibs protocol says Deduction : Violation of choreography restrictions: (1 of 10) :confused:
Did Alex do that move where his knee touches the ground? Skaters are only supposed to do that during the hip hop section their program, and Alex does that after the partial step sequence and before the hip hop section.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Did Alex do that move where his knee touches the ground? Skaters are only supposed to do that during the hip hop section their program, and Alex does that after the partial step sequence and before the hip hop section.

That may be why the 1 judge/referee said a violation.

Someone know why Shibs protocol says Deduction : Violation of choreography restrictions: (1 of 10) :confused:

Look at item # 8 here

There was no actual deduction. That is just a note that 1 judge/ref (out of 10, counting the 9 Judges plus the 1 Referee) thought there was the violation. If you read the note under the chart that is marked with the asterisk, it says that to actually apply the -1.0 deduction, a majority of the 10 (Judges + Referee) must say there was the violation. More often than not, you'll see 1 of 10 or 2 of 10, but they need at least 6 of 10 to actually get the deduction.

tulosai

Record Breaker

Pairs has the issue that all of the Worlds spots went to countries who earned multiple spots (since the US technically earned 2 spots and loses out on the technicality, it still counts)

Yeah in pairs 9 out of 16 spots (56+%) are being given to just 3 countries- Russia, Canada, China. The other 7 are split between 4 other countries so there are only 7 total countries that are being represented before the Nebelhorn spots are accounted for. After, it will be 11. I do think this has to be looked at, definitely.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Not sure who you have been talking to but I havent heard a single person predict anything but a certain V&M win at worlds. In fact their inevitable winning was almost as boring a conclusion to some as Medvedeva's impending ladies win has become.

BoP had mentioned how Virtue and Moir are past their prime. Evidently, so past their prime that they just got a personal best/new World record SD. :biggrin:

gmyers mentioned how Virtue and Moir wouldn't win because they haven't been to Worlds in 3 years. And barring disaster in the FD, I think he just might be proven wrong... just a hunch. ;)

Also, while upsets are exciting, I don't get bored with skaters doing well and "inevitably winning". The rest of the field is welcome to get better/catch up, and we shouldn't fault skaters for being consistent and able to deliver. I don't want Medvedeva or V/M to have an error just to mix things up and make it interesting. I'd rather they skate their best and if so, yeah, they'll win, and that's okay.

Last edited:

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
BoP had mentioned how Virtue and Moir are past their prime. Evidently, so past their prime that they just got a personal best/new World record SD. :biggrin:

gmyers mentioned how Virtue and Moir wouldn't win because they haven't been to Worlds in 3 years. And barring disaster in the FD, I think he just might be proven wrong... just a hunch. ;)

OK thanks for the explanation. It sounds like some people are going to have pie on their faces. I just was amazed at the impression people would be promising their defeat, when they have been so dominant this season it is almost hard to even envision a defeat for them pre Worlds for me. For me they came in as almost a big a gold lock as Medvedeva.

I can see earlier in their comeback their being more doubts. I wouldnt have ever counted them out or said they were too old and could never win, but after Skate Canada where they were a bit rusty and barely beat Chock & Bates, I certainly wouldnt have envisioned such a completely dominant season. I would have envisioned at that point more of a step by step process, and maybe being ready by worlds to fight Papadakis & Cizeron for the gold. It was amazing how quickly they got things together, and also how dominant they have become over the top that had been coronated the new dominant team in their absence. This after a final couple seasons of regularly losing to their main rival opponent before the break.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
OK thanks for the explanation. It sounds like some people are going to have pie on their faces. I just was amazed at the impression people would be promising their defeat, when they have been so dominant this season it is almost hard to even envision a defeat for them pre Worlds for me. For me they came in as almost a big a gold lock as Medvedeva.

I can see earlier in their comeback their being more doubts. I wouldnt have ever counted them out or said they were too old and could never win, but after Skate Canada where they were a bit rusty and barely beat Chock & Bates, I certainly wouldnt have envisioned such a completely dominant season. I would have envisioned at that point more of a step by step process, and maybe being ready by worlds to fight Papadakis & Cizeron for the gold. It was amazing how quickly they got things together, and also how dominant they have become over the top that had been coronated the new dominant team in their absence. This after a final couple seasons of regularly losing to their main rival opponent before the break.

Moreso in ice dancing it was a lock because there is much less likelihood of errors compared to singles disciplines, and V/M are such a hit with the judges that they can probably afford an error. But they absolutely slayed, getting all their levels and that SD was better than they've performed all season so it was well-deserved.

Yeah, their GP season was key.. and almost losing to Chock/Bates was what they needed. They turned it on against Papadakis/Cizeron and haven't taken the foot off the gas.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Very happy with these results! H/D and C/B definitely deserved the lead over the Shibutanis. Way better programs. I actually would have had them in 2nd (C/B) and 3rd (H/D). Papadakis/Cizeron...that material has been wrong from them all season and they didn't do enough to improve it here. Does not suit them.

Bobrova/Soloviev in 8th is also the best we could have hoped for. Gilles/Poirier actually got very close, which is nice to see.

Last edited: