2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 51 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yeah, I'm sure he can do it, and if/when he does, the scoring will be impressive.

I guess we'll just have to wait to see whether Keegan or Stephen is the first Canadian man to land the 4Lz internationally this season.

Also, after the GTSA, I can't imagine anybody other than Nam gets the TBD spot at at Skate Canada International.

you are correct that it would be hard for skate Canada to nominate anyone else... I guess Nic Nadeau is a contender, especially since Nam may fetch another even if anyone else w/d but Nic has less chances for that.

Re the 4lz... Conrad was trying it too last year but it seems that with Lee they have decided to go clean one quad at a time... he has a huge 3s as a place holder for the 4s.

Regarding Nam ... I don't think this is the final layout. 4s-2t, 4s are probably there to stay but the 3f that came next is probably a place holder for a 4t. If ever he regains confidence and momentum on it.
I am not sure why Nam only has 1 3a in his LP... his success rate on that jump has been okay... but having a clean skate, whatever the jumps are, is great that early in the season and I am glad that he is headed to his challenger and GP with that in mind. A comfortable clean skate (think about Mallet as well) is better than a hot mess under the new rules. I am happy about that.

For Keegan, it seems that his layout is optimized right now with the 4lz , 4t (2) and 3a(2) and he will be working throughout the season to get it stable. I am not worried... Let's keep in mind that when adding a new jump, it can derail the performance for a while, success or not.

Finally, very thrilled about Gabby's program. I like it because it shows her soft and beautiful skating in the middle section... which is something she was often blamed for while growing up. It's there. It's very well done. Layout is brand new for her as well and it's about time it changed.

I think she will do 3lz-3toe.... and the other combo looks like 2a-3t.... there will be a 3 jump combo either on the second lutz which she's trained a million times and done in past years, or she can tag it also on the 3s or 2a (she did 2a-2t here)...

So I am excited about that. I will certainly miss seeing her 3t-3t but if sh gets her 3lz-3t just as good, at least she won't lose points having to put jumps into SEQ.... So to me, that's also a very encouraging outing.

Kevin had an encouraging SP as well.. but his LP was a mess.

Benett : i just love his skating.... he is also getting better and better.

I am a bit worried in pairs still but for the rest, I think there is a breath of fresh air in Canadian skating and that we are headed for an exciting 4 years.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Hi folks,

A change to the above post.

We will continue to allow folks to use other skater's names when used in a context of "stacking up" or a "mention" when needed. Please do not troll, bash, or randomly "inject" skaters' names when it is not related to the topic. Thanks!

So ...don't talk SMACK re others as per certain Threads. I'm good with that!

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So ...don't talk SMACK re others as per certain Threads. I'm good with that!

Correct ;)...or randomly troll looking for opportunities to inject a favorite skater which could cause bickering, derailment, division, etc....

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Correct ;)...or randomly troll looking for opportunities to inject a favorite skater which could cause bickering, derailment, division, etc....

Awesome, as Colonel Green and I were wondering if we could include others for purely reference purposes. Thanks for clarifying, gsk8!

furyflame

Rinkside
So I am excited about that. I will certainly miss seeing her 3t-3t but if sh gets her 3lz-3t just as good, at least she won't lose points having to put jumps into SEQ.... So to me, that's also a very encouraging outing.

I'm fairly new to figure skating but when I often see "putting jumps into SEQ" being mentioned. Could I ask you what this means and why it's particularly not a great thing?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm fairly new to figure skating but when I often see "putting jumps into SEQ" being mentioned. Could I ask you what this means and why it's particularly not a great thing?

i am no expert... but the difference between the combo and seq is that the seq has an axel jump after the first jump... which means that it is not directly linked like the combos we see nowadays with toes, and loops and EU combining all jumps together..

Gabby used to do a 3s-2a sequence in the past. The ISU thinks those sequences are easier to do then combos, thus they remove 20% (or is it 30%) of the base value for these.

I hope this is clear enough... as i said, not a skater here so perhaps someone can explain it better/clarify/rectify what i said.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm still waiting for the Senior Men free skate to be archived, so in the meanwhile, you guys can watch my 540p screen recording of Nam's gold medal LP, and I'll later replace it with the higher quality livestream footage: https://vimeo.com/285729657

Just letting you all know that the video has now been updated to the 720p version. :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yeah, we'll have to see. That being said, I do think Keegan handled the pressure of last year very well and his 4Lz has looked v pretty on video so I have faith he'll improve by large leaps and bounds with his ambitious content.

It is nice that Keegan is pushing himself. He is taking seriously being Canada's top dude.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is early but I wonder and hope that Nam gets the quad toe back too before trying other quads. I think he knows while it is not said publically this year is a make or break year. Sakte Canada may be losing patience. He needs to at the very least add power and quality to his skating skills and consistently land quads (sal and toe). while reaching level 4s on spins and footwork.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
poor Kevin not good at all. Costume problems for Nam; showing far too much skin. He should speak to Gabby P

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
It is early but I wonder and hope that Nam gets the quad toe back too before trying other quads. I think he knows while it is not said publically this year is a make or break year. Sakte Canada may be losing patience. He needs to at the very least add power and quality to his skating skills and consistently land quads (sal and toe). while reaching level 4s on spins and footwork.

From what I saw at the rink today, there's little that Skate Canada needs to worry about with Nam. If anything, they must be thrilled at how rapidly he has improved in just a few weeks. And let's not forget, Shin Amano was the TS as well ;)

Also: Gold, Silver, Bronze podium selfies :biggrin:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
They shut down the TCC thread and I do not have the time to go through the fan fests for all those skaters…

I hope I can keep updated with this thread and hear news about Stephen and Conrad. Also Gabby kept Carmen for her short.

The TCC thread has been reopened! It was moved to the Fan Fest in the Team section.

=====

Just briefly, so far I’ve only been able to see Keegan’s SP and Gabby’s FS but I really like both. Keegan was really light on his feet (or skates) and was just charming - really nice spins, and, well, really nice everything! Gabby’s FS is Samson et Dalila. I put a longer blurb in the TCC thread, but basically, I really like this program for her. The music is very sensual (not sexy) at the beginning, and I thought she captured that really well. Not surprisingly at this time of year, she faded a bit towards the end, but I think it will be really nice when it’s under her belt.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Obviously the GTSA was the main action this weekend, but the BC Summer Skate also wrapped up. I caught a bit of the junior free dance. Makita/Gunara won, as you'd expect (starts at 17:50). Conversely, if Boone/Kowan were hoping this event would convince Skate Canada to assign them to the JGP, well, they're not likely to get any help from it.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
The clips I’ve seen of Gabby’s freeskate have me intrigued. I think it has the potential to be a lovely program. I hope she gains back some confidence.

But why French Carmen, why? I love Gabby- but she can do so much better than this grating SP.

TGee

Record Breaker
The clips I’ve seen of Gabby’s freeskate have me intrigued. I think it has the potential to be a lovely program. I hope she gains back some confidence.

But why French Carmen, why? I love Gabby- but she can do so much better than this grating SP.
I agree... the freeskate seemed to be drawing out new qualities to Gabby's skating.

Uhm, on the SP, I can understand why people might not like a non-operetic interpretation of a song from Carmen, but the libretto is in French either way.

Do you mean that it is sung in a French style? It does seem like a popularization. Which could get right up your nose if you were expecting the classic.

I do find however that the particular version has fairly easily understood French. And one would expect Gabby to have enough school French to understand it as she was educated in Ontario where it is mandatory.

And in Canada where French is an official language, opera with singers who just try to get by phonetically is pretty unsuccessful. I'm aware of a case in Ontario where a visiting young Anglophone tenor was crushed during a dress rehearsal because the audience burst out laughing at his unintelligible French. People don't expect to need supertitles to follow an opera in a language they understand.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
so.. two cents on gabby's pieces...

both are from French opera, Carmen by Bizet, Samson et Dalilah by Saint-Saëns ... (she did Massenet before too Herodiade) However, the sung parts are not done in the classical operatic style... and both singers do not have flawless diction... i almost wonder if it's from the same CD ... like "non traditional French arias CD"

I am one of the only ones who like that Carmen exactly because it's not good ;) it is sort of saying "I don't care... i thought it would be fun" and Gabby seems to be that kind of girl... she brings on the sass... and if I would have preferred a new SP from her, I don't mind this one.

For the Mon coeur s'ouvre à ta voix... ouf... I would have preferred a better singer with better diction... "pleurs" sounds "plea" or whatever... i stopped listening to the words after a while.. the redeeming factor in the LP is that it is coupled with other pieces from the opera, some instrumental ones.
I think this goes in to express what Gabby had started showing in Gladiator.. a more refined, mature, lyrical style. She does it very well. If she can combine that to her legendary speed and power, she will becomes quite a performer

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
2018-2019 Canadian Skating Season

I agree... the freeskate seemed to be drawing out new qualities to Gabby's skating.

Uhm, on the SP, I can understand why people might not like a non-operetic interpretation of a song from Carmen, but the libretto is in French either way.

Do you mean that it is sung in a French style? It does seem like a popularization. Which could get right up your nose if you were expecting the classic.

I do find however that the particular version has fairly easily understood French. And one would expect Gabby to have enough school French to understand it as she was educated in Ontario where it is mandatory.

And in Canada where French is an official language, opera with singers who just try to get by phonetically is pretty unsuccessful. I'm aware of a case in Ontario where a visiting young Anglophone tenor was crushed during a dress rehearsal because the audience burst out laughing at his unintelligible French. People don't expect to need supertitles to follow an opera in a language they understand.

I actually enjoy music in other languages. There are many programs I love where I have no idea what is being said. My problem with her SP is I just find it impossible to listen to. Carmen isn’t exactly an original choice- more than anything I find the version incredibly grating. It’s like nails on a chalkboard to me.

But in the end it doesn’t matter what I think, all that matters is what Gabby thinks. I’ll just have to mute it and cheer anyways!