2018-19 Russian test skates | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian test skates

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
YIKES that song includes a tacky cover of the Samson & Delilah aria

I mean, Lambiel made the choice of the song? But I don't see how he pulled anything good out of it, tbh.

On another note, I'm pretty excited to watch the ladies. And ID - I've been missing Shpilevaya/Smirnov.

icybear

Medalist
Evgenia needs to upgrade her layout to compare with Alina tes since both of them will have about the same pcs. Since she can't just learn a quad or a triple axel what better way than to add more lutzes. The judges will never give her an edge call anyway. I wouldn't be surprised to see her add 2 "lutzes" to her fs too.

esteticlove

Final Flight
The judges will never give her an edge call anyway. I wouldn't be surprised to see her add 2 "lutzes" to her fs too.

I don't understand the rant right now. Alena Kostornaia has also a lutz (even in combination) with unclear edge in her short program. This was called and I believe that on the senior level Evgenia's would be called as well. Kaetlyn Osmond is also jumping "lutzes" in her programs..

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Evgenia needs to upgrade her layout to compare with Alina tes since both of them will have about the same pcs. Since she can't just learn a quad or a triple axel what better way than to add more lutzes. The judges will never give her an edge call anyway. I wouldn't be surprised to see her add 2 "lutzes" to her fs too.

Brian Orser said in the recent interview that the jump layout for Evgenia will change throughout the season.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I don't understand the rant right now. Alena Kostornaia has also a lutz (even in combination) with unclear edge in her short program. This was called and I believe that on the senior level Evgenia's would be called as well. Kaetlyn Osmond is also jumping "lutzes" in her programs..

I mean, what's the point of competing "lutzes" when Trusova becomes a senior?
:laugh:

I love all these girls, but they do need to up their games the way they can, and as fast as they can.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Evgenia needs to upgrade her layout to compare with Alina tes since both of them will have about the same pcs.

She's backloading the combo in the SP so
3Lz-3Lo 10.8
3F-3T x 10.45

With the Lz! in the first part, she's good to go there. If her Axel has truly improved, then that's a big plus. We'll see about the free, depends on the combos there too. I think she'll do a 2/3 there but I don't know what Alina has chosen.

We'll talk about Trusova when she turns Senior. Things change in a blink of an eye.
And no, not fast. But in such a way that it's stable and of good quality and for that, it takes time.

katymay

Medalist
Extra challenge of quite used ice? You are not a skater, are you? Redoing ice after every two groups have been done in competitions to avoid someone complaining that they have different conditions than the others. It became the rule to ensure fairness in competitions, but the ice doesn’t turn into unskatable after two groups. In reality, every skater skates every day several hours on ice that is so MUCH MORE used than that. At competitions you have in singles twelve skaters using the ice on their own for four minutes each and twice six minutes warm up of six skaters, then the ice get renewed. In day to day practice you may have 10-15 skaters (in Japan even more!) using the ice for several hours (2-3 hours on average) before they redo the ice. And those hours are their practice, so if a skater made excuse that they couldn’t do clean run through because the ice was too used, when else they would practice the clean run throughs? At competitions? The ice at competitions, it is a luxury, not a day to day requirement to perform clean.

I HATED to skate on 'new ice'. Loved at least 8 or 9 in front of me. Never caught a 'gouge' that I can remember.

leoleo

Medalist

I love all these girls, but they do need to up their games the way they can, and as fast as they can.

what? :laugh2: i guess nobody should compete if there's a chance of them losing then. FS competitions should be just the one skater with the highest base value-ed jumps coming on the ice to show off and receive their gold medal :laugh2:

gonewiththewind25

Final Flight

It’s also another question to see if Trusova’s Quads will hold up in seniors after puberty...

katymay

Medalist

Truth be told, by the next Olympics, I think you must have at least a 3A to be in the hunt. I can think of 10 ladies between junior/senior that already have one, even if inconsistent.

Holy Headband

On the Ice
Per Журавлик on FSO:

The two most spectacular tangos of the national team are Sinitsina-Katsalapov and Shpilevaya-Smirnov.

Betina and Sergey have an interesting musical choice. Either it seems to me, or this is not the original version of "Tango in a Madhouse", but processing.

I hope Skoptsova/Aleshin will have something to say about that when they debut their programs.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
We'll talk about Trusova when she turns Senior. Things change in a blink of an eye.
And no, not fast. But in such a way that it's stable and of good quality and for that, it takes time.

I'm incredibly skeptical about Trusova's longevity with this kind of content, but you gotta admit, if she lasts until the next Olympics, it will be hard for any girl without a couple of 3a or quads to compete with her.
And in Russia, if you need to take two seasons to up your game, there might be five or ten girls doing the same content you are. And unless the PCS game changes dramatically, we all saw well enough what kind of corner the judges back themselves into when they let it get out of hand.

charlotte14

Medalist
It’s also another question to see if Trusova’s Quads will hold up in seniors after puberty...
I still remember the day Mao landed 3A left and right in her juniors, and Miki landed quads when she was a kid. Nothing against the ladies. And while it is true we see the newer generation rotate faster and stay slimmer, it will be some difficult challenges.

SXTN

Final Flight
Zhenya's Flutz is still sooo bad. This has to be 3Lze. If this ever receives an ! only, I quit watching figure skating.