2018-19 Russian test skates | Page 50 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian test skates

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I call this BS, Evgenia made an interview in Russia saying she cried because she was overwhelmed on how much she has to improve, the translation was in this thread about page 60-70s and it was also posted on twitter.

Don´t know why this guy feel entitled to go talking about Evgenia´s feeling.

And again drop the evil Eteri narrative, it is old.

I agree Haw isn't a source to be taken as 100% truth, given his potential own biases and the fact it would be mouth to mouth - but didn't Evgenia herself say she really enjoys skating right now? And for what it's worth, I'd flat out say she looked nervous, but in a way happier, more relaxed and freer then before. And in the end, I'd go with my own gut feeling, caused by what I saw during the test skates, and say she seems pretty happy with her move so far.

As for the Evil Eteri narrative, it's not going to get old as long as Eteri does super nice and friendly stuff like turning her back on Daria Panenkova while she skated, pretty childish and disrespectful if you ask me. So, you'll have to live with that narrative for a while longer I'd guess.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Finally caught up on the test skates. My quick thoughts:

Evgenia: I really like her SP:love:. It's a different tone/mood for her and I love the choreographic touches Sandra gave her. It's fresh and new and I'm excited to see it performed full out in competition. I didn't really care for the FS but, according to TSL, the program is still under construction. Apparently she forgot a bit of it. Still, I'm not that crazy about the music. I'd have preferred a more fiery and tension filled tango rather than a slower more subdued tango. I don't think tangos are really Wilson's forte...I really didn't care for Yuna Kim's tango either--it was nice but something was missing. Hopefully they'll spruce it up. The jumps look about the same for Evgenia. She looks pretty strong to say she got a late start.

Alina: I thoroughly hate this SP. It's just awful. :gaah: The music edits are choppy and terrible with all of the loud bang! and crash! sound effects, the choreography is frenetic and rushed and is in no way reflective of the music...it's a crap program and I really feel sorry for her. She deserves better. Alina could be a lovely skater but the program does absolutely nothing for her and makes her look as though she's regressed in terms of her presentation. I never thought I'd be wishing for her to repeat her Black Swan SP from last year.... The FS is generic and unimaginative (this poor girl...) but, TBH, I think it's okay. Warhorse music does 80% of the work so all she'll need to do is land the jumps, which she wasn't able to do here. We expect the Russians to be competition ready every time they skate but it's clear Alina (a) isn't conditioned yet or (b) let her nerves get the better of her. I expect her to be ready by the time the GP rolls around.

Liza T.: Pleasantly surprised by her.:biggrin: Her programs are typical in that they aren't the most unique or innovative BUT they were enjoyable and she nailed the jumps. Last post-Olympic season Liza T had a major resurgence. I don't see her making it all the way to the top this time around but I do think she can get herself back onto the podiums if she can improve upon these performances and possibly up the ante on her SP combo. That 3A looked good... If she can get some momentum going she could be a favorite for that 3rd spot.

Polina: Lord...this girl is just amazeballs:cheer2:. Hands down she has the most commanding presence of all of the ladies. Wonderful ice coverage, easy flow, huge and gorgeous jumps...I'm just waiting for the day she pulls herself together. She has to learn how to focus. It's early so there's still time and I really REALLY want to see her skate to her potential. I think she'd blow everyone away. Programs are decent but not great, and she needs to work on her spins...but what an amazing talent. Fingers crossed for her.

Panenkova: I feel like she is going to have a quiet but successful senior debut. She lacks a wow factor but she's very solid which can work out well for her. Definitely a dark horse pick for any event she's in...

Maria: I liked her SP. I love that they have gone a completely different route to add a bit more energy and entertainment value to her skating. She looked fast and energetic in the SP. Unfortunately I can't say the same about the FS. I wish they would have kept the up-tempo theme going for both programs.

Samodurova: I always enjoy her. She's not as explosive or fast as some of the others but I love the way she performs. Wish she'd have picked better FS music though...

Elena: Glad to see she's continuing but I don't see her making it very far this season. Those jumps were not looking good.

Konstantinova: I just wish someone would work with her. She reminds me of a young Adelina: talented and engaging as a performer but SO sloppy. She needs work.

LoicMR

Rinkside
Did you see this video on which we can see that Zhenya is completely separated from the others skaters before entering on the rink for the FS warmup! Was it asked/wanted by Zhenya and/or his coach? To avoid contact with Zagitova and Eteri? How will she manage that for the coming competitions? Do you think she’s not even saying hello to Alina and Eteri??
https://vk.com/video-134487306_456240299

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Did you see this video on which we can see that Zhenya is completely seperated from the others skater before entering on the rink for the FS warmup! Was it asked/wanted by Zhenya and/or his coach? To avoid contact with Zagitova and Eteri? How will she manage that for the competitions? Do you think she’s not even saying hello to Alina and Eteri??

Evgenia was warming up & got caught behind some of the flower girls. That's all. There was nothing special about it, any of the girls could have gone through that gate if they wanted to. Source.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
I cannot believe that :)

Yeah. Conspiracy theory about avoiding fire breathing Eteri is simply more believable :sarcasm: Unless you were there, saw everything and got testimony from her.
It wasn't her private space, anybody could use it and join her. Last year Russian team didn't participate in practice before Finlandia Trophy - is there any mystery behind it as well?

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Did you see this video on which we can see that Zhenya is completely separated from the others skaters before entering on the rink for the FS warmup! Was it asked/wanted by Zhenya and/or his coach? To avoid contact with Zagitova and Eteri? How will she manage that for the coming competitions? Do you think she’s not even saying hello to Alina and Eteri??

I don't know but did you notice that Brian was basically the only coach that didn't watch the other skaters? You can clearly see it in the short program.

andromache

Record Breaker
I don't know but did you notice that Brian was basically the only coach that didn't watch the other skaters? You can clearly see it in the short program.

Seems like it could be part of his coaching philosophy to focus on his student rather than their competition. I'm sure he stays tuned in with everything, of course, buthe does his "studying" behind the scenes and focuses 100% on his own student at events.

TGee

Record Breaker
Seems like it could be part of his coaching philosophy to focus on his student rather than their competition. I'm sure he stays tuned in with everything, of course, buthe does his "studying" behind the scenes and focuses 100% on his own student at events.
He's clearly focused on the skater he is supporting at the moment. And this is critical given he often has two men together in the final flight.

Brian even seems do their programs with them.

While we see less of him jumping vertically during his skaters' jumping passes than in the past, at one point during Zhenya's FS, he was doing a spiral, and she wasn't . And then he turned to David with a 'what's she doing?' expression.

So, I guess we know that one of the things she forgot to do was her spiral sequence.

Reddi

Rinkside
Evgenia was warming up & got caught behind some of the flower girls. That's all. There was nothing special about it, any of the girls could have gone through that gate if they wanted to. Source.

Zhenya was separated from everybody else during the whole evening. She, Brian and David were alone in their corner all the time. I didn't even notice her at first because of that. Zhenya did all the warm-up and preparations there and then entered the rink through the separate gates and even tried to return from the ice through her gates after her FS but wasn't allowed to. I don't know why it happened, probably she wanted to avoid extra tension or unwanted curiosity from fellow skaters. Whatever. It looked kinda awkward.

P.S. Seeing how Ilona Lee usually translates from russian to english text (and vice versa) and how she very selectively presents facts and twist words... I'll just reccomend to search for other russians as a source. She's totally, 100% unreliable to say politely.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
So when Orser doesn't watch skaters it's coaching philosophy. When Eteri doesn't watch it's disrespectful.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
So when Orser doesn't watch skaters it's coaching philosophy. When Eteri doesn't watch it's disrespectful.

Let's not pretend focusing on your student exclusively is equivalent to turning your back when another skater is performing. We're all intelligent people here, sorta, let's not make dumb arguments.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, let me see if I have this straight:

1. Zhenya came onto the rink behind the flower girls because she is the EVILLE Zhenya, who abandoned the motherland in its hour of need and left thousands dying on the ice with her witchlike cold stare.

2. Her companions are the EVILLE Orser and his dreaded henchman Wilson, who deliberately snub with cruelty all in their path to prop up the EVILLE Zhenya and cast out the true subjects of the motherland with their vile ways.

Do I have it right?
Who needs Game of Thrones?:laugh:

LoicMR

Rinkside

1. Zhenya came onto the rink behind the flower girls because she is the EVILLE Zhenya, who abandoned the motherland in its hour of need and left thousands dying on the ice with her witchlike cold stare.

2. Her companions are the EVILLE Orser and his dreaded henchman Wilson, who deliberately snub with cruelty all in their path to prop up the EVILLE Zhenya and cast out the true subjects of the motherland to their vile ways.

Do I have it right?

it’s unbelievable how my initial post has been interpreted! I was just asking questions guys, I’m just curious, stay calme :) I never said that Zhenya was the evil!! WTF :) FYI I’m a big big fan of russian figure skaters since almost 5 years, juniors and seniors, I’m supporting them a lot. I went to several competitions to watch them, I’ve been lucky to meet Yulia Lipnitskaya almost privately with a friend at the 2014 Trophée Bompard, I will never forget this moment btw :) So magic!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Let's not pretend focusing on your student exclusively is equivalent to turning your back when another skater is performing. We're all intelligent people here, sorta, let's not make dumb arguments.
Let's not pretend that you and many posters are objectives when Eteri and Orser are involved in something.

Or i assume that there is a video in which we see that she just turned her back and was watching a wall during both programs (i don't see the logic if she did it just for one program). And changed her position just when Panenkova finished her programs. While Orser was watching Medvedeva every second when other skaters were skating their programs.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight

2. Her companions are the EVILLE Orser and his dreaded henchman Wilson, who deliberately snub with cruelty all in their path to prop up the EVILLE Zhenya and cast out the true subjects of the motherland with their vile ways.

Do I have it right?
And we still don't know if she will choose to marry Yuzu Targaryen or Jason Snow :popcorn:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker

Could it be she was sneezing and didn´t want anyone to see?

The assumption here is she made a movement out disdain when it could be that she was gonna speak with someone... she was sneezing...she was gonna do anything or whatever she wanted... but people like to have villains and they are seriously in to interpreted things the worst way possible...

Let's not pretend that you and many posters are objectives when Eteri and Orser are involved in something.

Or i assume that there is a video in which we see that she just turned her back and was watching a wall during both programs (i don't see the logic if she did it just for one program). And changed her position just when Panenkova finished her programs. While Orser was watching Medvedeva every second when other skaters were skating their programs.

I thought that Orser was not there, not that he turn his back to the skaters. Its different leaving the event with your skater than stay there but ignore all the other athletes, turn your back when its their turn.

Ive seeing you being salty over Orser (dont know if Evgenia) every time his name is mention, so no one is free of guilt here.

Lets not pretend Eteri doesnt have a bad record on her own, her skaters leaving her and then she start calling them out, this was already discuss lets not bring it again, while Orser's only record that we know of is the whole drama with Yuna years ago. My point is that if a person is known for being...shady? that could be the word? people are going to be more critique with them.