2018 Autumn Classic Intl Free Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 Autumn Classic Intl Free Dance

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Smart / Diaz

This was an.... interesting program. I like the casual styling of the costumes. I think the program is supposed to be fast, easy-breeze, and positive, and they're about halfway there. I think both of them can bring more brightness and positivity through the program to sell their music choices.

On technique, Smart was a little stuck on the third set of twizzles but they were very fast in the rotation and covered a lot of ice. The first part of the combo spin had a lovely camel+layback combination which you don't see often and the first lift had a wonderful somersault entry into a balance lift. Diaz struggled a bit with the one-foot skating sequence, but I like the originality of the program so far.

LaArdilla

Medalist
Loved it so much! That first lift, she seemed to stop in the air. Gorgeous.

Plus I actually liked the sliding knee movement thing.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN
76.53, 1st after FD
She in white dress, him in black
S. O.S. d'un terrien en detresse" by Lue Plamodon, Michel Berger, arranged by Maxime Rodriguez as a tribute to Denis Ten; choreo by P. Camerlengo (FD)

stationary lift—
no-touch
straight-line lift — she in spilt position
straight line step - really nice smooth edges
twizzles - OK,
spin - I like the hand hold in the last position —
rotational lift —
chores lift —
no-touch
slide movement
curve lift

This FD is in the early days, but it's clear they have a lot of heart behind it. There was some nice intricate choreography here. It's a good start and I expect it will look great by Nationals.

120.74, FD, 197.27 (1/7)

Last edited:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Weaver / Poje

This was an above-average program for me. It just wasn't terribly interesting in the first half to me, apart from the tribute part to Denis Ten. The three lifts they chose to perform were strong and secure, though I've seen them do those lifts before. The first footwork sequence could have been more complex and the twizzles could be faster in the rotation. The second half of the program was more interesting, especially the series of moves-in-the-field with very difficult connections, and that third position in the combo spin with the arm connection was very interesting. I felt that the program got stronger and stronger as it went on.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love this program of Olivia and Adrian. I'm so happy that Something is not a cover version.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay, I'm done! I hope you enjoyed my PBP while WeakAnkles was away!

I think it's clear that in this FD, that

115-120 - Outstanding
105-114- Excellent
95-104 - Good

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Yay for Mrs P stepping up to the plate!

:thank:

I look forward to reading your PBPs when I finally get to watch this.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I think it's clear that in this FD, that

115-120 - Outstanding
105-114- Excellent
95-104 - Good
Only in this competition, though.
Relative to the new maximum FD score which is 137 something it all looks very different.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Oh Debbie, you all know us fans are willing to commit all sort of truancy to watch skating.

Confession, totally blew off 3 hours of work to watch skating Thursday and ended up working 10 hours yesterday to make up for it.

Well it's important to have your priorities in order. And you obviously do!

:)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
following weapo for many years, this early stage version is VERY promising....

I cannot help but keeping in mind Denis and the lyrics... so perhaps my perception is lead too much into interpreting things that may not be there.. but i felt very connected to this dance and well... waterworks..

costumes : he all in black with a ribbon shape in metallic beads on top of his shoulder... ribbon being a symbol used for memorials, it looked like that to me...
she is in a flowing simple white dress... reminded me of the bird in the song....

they do start with a much slower speed than we are used to see them but it does match the music... their classic and gorgeous trademark stationary lift looked so good today...

at one point in the lyrics "j'ai jamais eu les pieds sur terre" ( i have never had my feet on Earth") they do their one foot section on there.. i thought it was very clever.. it's a very detailed and refined section... i was afraid that the piece would remain slow because it does take a bit of time to build up but it certainly picks up with the instrumental section. Twizzles : more and more team are using a slower approach with connecting steps in between so if I do love a shibstylesizzlingtwizzlesection :) i thought they were clever to use this in this particular song.
I loved their spin... it looked very good... they have the experience and skills to make everything look so easy. I know it's not and i know that they will keep building this up... but yeah... i am disappointed I won't see this live... it must be very emotional..
by then i am already crying...

the piece slows down again.. both of them fading... resigned....

tears stop as well....

i eat lunch... i post here.. and i go to bed..for an emotional break...

loving weapo so much right now

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Wang / Liu

For better or worse, their program had a lot of lifts. They had a brilliant entry into the straightline lift to open, and in general their lifts are stronger than their footwork. They lost a little bit of the speed and edge quality in the last minute or so of the program. I think that Liu has a problem with hunching forward with his back at times, but they are still the strongest pair from China I've seen. I think they can work on having more difficult steps between elements, but they have improved under their coaches' tutilege so far.

You can have three short lifts in a program now OR a combo lift and a short lift PLUS a choreographic lift. I think they realized that removing combo lifts was a mistake (a really good combo lift can just rev up a program--ask Marlie about that).

rain

Record Breaker
Weaver / Poje

This was an above-average program for me. It just wasn't terribly interesting in the first half to me, apart from the tribute part to Denis Ten. The three lifts they chose to perform were strong and secure, though I've seen them do those lifts before. The first footwork sequence could have been more complex and the twizzles could be faster in the rotation. The second half of the program was more interesting, especially the series of moves-in-the-field with very difficult connections, and that third position in the combo spin with the arm connection was very interesting. I felt that the program got stronger and stronger as it went on.

I agree that this is a good start, but the choreography still needs work. Some of it, including the first footwork sequence you reference, is just far too generic. It's probably the best FD they've done since they left Krylova. But it requires a speed and freedom of movement that's not there yet, for maximum impact.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
following weapo for many years, this early stage version is VERY promising....

I cannot help but keeping in mind Denis and the lyrics... so perhaps my perception is lead too much into interpreting things that may not be there.. but i felt very connected to this dance and well... waterworks..

costumes : he all in black with a ribbon shape in metallic beads on top of his shoulder... ribbon being a symbol used for memorials, it looked like that to me...
she is in a flowing simple white dress... reminded me of the bird in the song....

they do start with a much slower speed than we are used to see them but it does match the music... their classic and gorgeous trademark stationary lift looked so good today...

at one point in the lyrics "j'ai jamais eu les pieds sur terre" ( i have never had my feet on Earth") they do their one foot section on there.. i thought it was very clever.. it's a very detailed and refined section... i was afraid that the piece would remain slow because it does take a bit of time to build up but it certainly picks up with the instrumental section. Twizzles : more and more team are using a slower approach with connecting steps in between so if I do love a shibstylesizzlingtwizzlesection :) i thought they were clever to use this in this particular song.
I loved their spin... it looked very good... they have the experience and skills to make everything look so easy. I know it's not and i know that they will keep building this up... but yeah... i am disappointed I won't see this live... it must be very emotional..
by then i am already crying...

the piece slows down again.. both of them fading... resigned....

tears stop as well....

i eat lunch... i post here.. and i go to bed..for an emotional break...

loving weapo so much right now

I felt privileged to watch this skate today. What an incredible tribute this is. Weapo4gold!