2018 Finlandia Trophy Free Dance | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2018 Finlandia Trophy Free Dance

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think it's going to be P/C vs. W/P for World Gold. H/D took a huge step backwards with their free dance this season.

Okay let's get real. Its P/C and then everyone else can fight for scraps. And what about Chock and Bates. H/d - were they not injured? I admit their FD is a let down. Weapo might not be ready to contend for a medal - unless the rumor is true they will do their Free dance and RD as their programs for their tour. I can't tell from scores how they are doing but I assume PC will kill everyone and thing in their way even if they have a dress mishap nothing can or will stop them from winning. So for a medal we have three Americans, Weapo, S/B, and I think we have to wait where the judges put Gilles and Porier and S/K from Russia. Both are possibly in the mix. P/c really have no competition; it could be the biggest win ever. no challenge.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
... Okay, I like S/B and they were great, but the music hurt my ears and I honestly hate her dress.

They are great with Blues and sexy atmosphere, but did they have to make her dress as if she was wearing a bikini and a skirt? I mean, just open the back and close the front...

I loved the music (I am very into the blues) but I think it overpowers them. They look chaotic and armwavy and the way they move to it is too.. primitive I think. This music requires a more sophisticated approach and precise movement to really be effective. This dance is just messy and "sexaaaay".

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Can i just say how much Stepanova looks fabulous? +5 GOE for good looking.
I don't get the scoring of dance, but Stepanova/Bukin programs looks fab.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Chock & Bates are the ones coming back from surgery to deal with the injury she had all last season. They weren't back on the ice until at least July. (As in, she was not allowed to skate until then. You figure that means slowly working your way back from there, not just suddenly showing up and running big elements).

As far as we know, Hubbell & Donohue are fine. They toured and didn't return to training until July. Then competed at the first Challenger, as they are scheduled for the first two GPs.

Papadakis & Cizeron also didn't return to training until July. They competed an RD last week. They haven't competed the FD yet. If we are going to be "real," then the reality is that we haven't seen anything from them at all.

Weaver & Poje toured as well. They competed a week after H&D and looked better, IMO. But W&P are touring through the fall also.

Those are the teams from the top 5 at last season's Worlds. They are all behind in training. This happens frequently after an Olympics. Two of those teams were top 5 at the Olympics.

The teams that are healthy and finished 8th & below at the Olympics and 6th & below at Worlds--Guignard & Fabbri, Stepanova & Bukin, Gilles & Poirier--these teams are ready. Sinitsina & Katsalapov, who pulled out of Nationals with injury, also looked good at their first Challenger. They all know they have to be ready. This is their best chance--it comes once every 4 years--to make a big push.

The question, though, is how is everybody going to look at the end of the season.

Four years ago . . .

-The World Champions struggled at their first GP, pulled out of the second, came back much more ready at Worlds, but missed the podium by 1 spot.
-The silver medalists won absolutely everything they entered all season long and then dropped to third at Worlds.
-The fifth place team made a big push, won gold & silver all season, led after the SD at Worlds, and finished 2nd.
-The 13th place team from Worlds won gold at everything except a bronze at the GPF. And won Worlds.

Four years before that . . .

-The Olympic silver medalists won Worlds.
-The Olympic gold medalists won silver.
-The 4th place finishers from the previous Junior Worlds finished 5th in their first Challenger, won bronze in both GPs, missed the GPF, medaled at 4CCs, and won World bronze.

Post-Olympic seasons. The reality is that you never really know what will happen.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
True about post olympics but I think P/C are safe even with two falls or two wardrobe malfunctions. They are so much better.