2018 JPG Bratislava Free Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018 JPG Bratislava Free Dance

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'd have put S/N first in the free, but K/N had such a big lead from the RD that it wouldn't matter to the overall result.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Wow... same as in pairs, everyone was great, but the Russians were on a whoooole different level. Congratulations, everyone!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva / Nikita Nazarov
Music: "Human" (Acoustic) by Rag'n'Bone Man; "Human" by Rag'n'Bone Man; "Nemesis" by Benjamin Clementine; choreo by Nikolai Nikonov
Choreography by: Nikolai Nikonov
Costumes:black dress with cutouts with bling for her; whtie shirt with black pants, black tie and grey jacket for him

Program Layout:

Stationary Lift
Ch Spin
Twizzles - nicely done
Circular St Seq
Dance Spin
NT St Seq - realy nice exit out of it
ST Line Lift on bended knee, with great turn out of it. It's a bit sloppy now, but it will be something with more practice
Ch. rotational lift

Ok, these two. Well technically they are leaps beyond everyone else. They have great expression. Puhlenty of speed and power.I like THEM. The program? Not so much. It certainly is very busy busy busy and loaded with tricks, but as a dance it left me cold.

But again, I really really like THEM.

Score: 91.91 (48.86 TES, 43.05 PCS)

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I'm happy with the podium, Russia has so many great skaters and ice dancers.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva / Nikita Nazarov
Music: "Human" (Acoustic) by Rag'n'Bone Man; "Human" by Rag'n'Bone Man; "Nemesis" by Benjamin Clementine; choreo by Nikolai Nikonov
Choreography by: Nikolai Nikonov
Costumes:black dress with cutouts with bling for her; whtie shirt with black pants, black tie and grey jacket for him

Program Layout:

Twizzles - nicely done
St Seq in hold
Dance Spin
NT St Seq - realy nice exit out of it
ST Line Lift on bended knee, with great turn out of it. It's a bit sloppy now, but it will be something with more practice
Ch. rotational lift

Ok, these two. Well technically they are leaps beyond everyone else. They have great expression. Puhlenty of speed and power.I like THEM. The program? Not so much. It left me cold.
that's how i felt too

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
You can tell that the scoring changes have really boosted the numbers in ice dance. We had two 90+ FD scores here; the highest score at 2018 Junior Worlds was 88.71.

Be interesting to see what kind of numbers Marjorie/Zach and Sofia/Igor put up in Austria next week.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
okay .. well skated event.. still upset about the fall...will decide if i go to bed now... or keep watching for ladies... lol it's 7am... the bar has been closed for a while... i feel like breakfast lol

JGP is ruining my circadian cycle already

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You can tell that the scoring changes have really boosted the numbers in ice dance. We had two 90+ FD scores here; the highest score at 2018 Junior Worlds was 88.71.

Be interesting to see what kind of numbers Marjorie/Zach and Sofia/Igor put up in Austria next week.

when is the deadline to change teams? I am pretty sure Canada will not play switcheroo but sometimes Russia does.... saying this because i find it strange to have such an early clash of these two teams

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
okay .. well skated event.. still upset about the fall...will decide if i go to bed now... or keep watching for ladies... lol it's 7am... the bar has been closed for a while... i feel like breakfast lol

JGP is ruining my circadian cycle already

You stayed up all night!? :laugh: I went to sleep at an absurdly early hour and got up at an even worse one.

But hey, there are things more important than minutiae like circadian cycles! :laugh:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You stayed up all night!? :laugh: I went to sleep at an absurdly early hour and got up at an even worse one.

But hey, there are things more important than minutiae like circadian cycles! :laugh:

a friend came over for late dinner :) i served the food at 1am LOL

he works in a restaurant so he was working until 11....

and he left at around 3am and i thought... i am just a drink or two away from dance... but if there is something about my cycle that is weird, is that i slept through the entire first group, woke up for team BB from Canada... slept again for the rest of the group and was barely awake when Fabbri Ayer fell.. then, since then, i am wide awake . lol

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Went back to watch some of the earlier groups (getting up at 5:45 AM to watch from the beginning is a bridge too far for me).

I was really charmed by Bashynska/Beaumont's program -- it's become a stock choice, but this being Carol Lane she gets a lot of mileage out of the Cinderella imagery (and props for Nadiia's costume design; I'm sure Piper had ideas to contribute). With more practice as the season goes on (for, e.g., quickly getting the ending pose), that'll look sharper.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Thank you Bill, you're always so educational.

Alas, it's going to be a nightmare identifying them because it just looks like, if you will pardon the expression, regular choreography. Does it always start with the couples at full stop?

Thanks WA, I'm learning as I make these posts as well :biggrin:. I don't recall seeing in the rules that it has to begin with a full stop. I did notice that today that S/N decided to incorporate it as an almost hip hop like dance section after a full stop, a jarring transition in the music. Perhaps teams are marking it so that it's easier for the TP to call or maybe place a convenient breathing point. I'm not sure what timezone you're in WA, but my brain would be fried to do PBP that early in the morning, being as difficult as it is to watch during regular hours and type a thorough analysis right after each performance. So kudos to you!

Very quick thoughts on the top two. S/N have creative ways to connect elements. Rarely do I see a spin go right into a full blown level 4 rotational lift so that was definitely a highlight. As you mentioned, I could do without the "euro-trash" music with the added beats but I guess that's one way they are putting a spin on warhorses ;). Nice to see K/N clean today as it wasn't the case last season, when they would make big mistakes in their FD (like botching a spin), so good to see them finally happy in the KnC after the FD. The bar has been set high by Nathan Chen last season with this music. Either they had an expression of angst or a concentrated expression (Nikita did a lot of the time) so I hope they can add more contrast to this dance and show some chemistry. Hopefully their strategy is to get the technicals down early in the season and work on the interpretation throughout the season.

I will watch the other dances later.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Ugh, most of the time it's easy to ignore a certain YouTube commenter's incessant nonsense posts about Canadian dancers, but in the video for Fabbri/Ayer's skate she's saying that they fell because Alicia is too fat.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Thank you Bill. Apparently I wasn't quite awake either because I completely forgot to type up the Koreans!

Jeongeun Jeon / Sungmin Choi
Music:
Choreography by:
Costumes: lovely white dress with pastel patterns; he in black pants, white shirt with simmilar pastel patterns. Lovely. They look Very Spring.

Program Layout:

NT St Seq
Twizzles
Rotational Lift - basic,, slow
Dance Spin
Chor Twizzles
Straight Line Lift - nice position
St Seq in hold (diagonal)
Chor Spin

You know, they're brand new so yes, the tech is simply NOT THERE yet. They're slow slow slow, the edges are pretty nonexistent, the entrances and exits from elements are awkward. Blah blah blah. But they have a lovely soft quality to them which I personally found engaging. I do hope they stick with it, because a feathery soft quality would be a nice change of pace and make them stand out from the crowd. Getting a personal style is so important in dance, even if teams try to extend their range as much as possible. And Asia needs dance teams. Frankly if I was an Asian skater, I'd totally go for ID, because who needs competitors when you want to go to Worlds and Olympics? Just saying...

:laugh:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Ugh, most of the time it's easy to ignore a certain YouTube commenter's incessant nonsense posts about Canadian dancers, but in the video for Fabbri/Ayer's skate she's saying that they fell because Alicia is too fat.

People can be so UGH sometimes. And it's so unnecessary. They fell because it's a new program for a new team competing for the first time. It's not rocket science to see that.