2018 NHK Free Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 NHK Free Dance

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I have to say that, while in theory I have no problem with it, black boots do not elongate the leg and I think that is important in ID for visual reasons.

Weathergal

Medalist
I can't with the black boots. I want to like them because I like when skaters try different things, but...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I can't with the black boots. I want to like them because I like when skaters try different things, but...

The problem is they clash with the nude tights. If she wanted to do black boots, she needed to wear black tights.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The stream is so gappy and I keep missing huge sections that PBP is simply impossible. One gap then edit jump and I missed THREE elements. Just gone into cyberspace.

My apologies.

ETA: I'll post a PBP after the competition, when I can watch ENTIRE programs on youtube. Best I can do.

oly2018

Final Flight
Part of the problem with the black boots is for some reason, you can see the insides of them when she is skating and I find it distracting. They make her feet look clunky when she is on an edge. I also don't think the structure of this dress helps.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Misato KOMATSUBARA / Tim KOLETO
Music: Love Story soundtrack by Francis Lai: "Une Histoire D'Amour" performed by Mireille Mathieu
Choreography by: Marie-France Dubreuil and Romain Hagenauer
Costumes: Purple draped dance dress for her; charcoal dress shirt and black pants for him

Program Layout:

Bias alert: This music is Sap City. Or since the vocal is in Franch, La Ville de Sève. YMMV of course.

Dance Spin - Nice speed but basic positions. Level 4, 1.09goe
Curve Lift - Over the shoulder pick up to one foot carry. Done on a vocal highlight. Nice. Level 4/.69goe and right into
Twizzles Level 3 for her, 4 for him. .51 goe. Improved their coverage and spacing. Better.
NT Step Seq still level 1 for both with .48 goe. they need better steps and to skate closer
Rotational Lift - Lift by thigh. Done to death (or am I getting ahead of myself?). The lifting and spinning movements out are more interesting. YMMV. Level 4, .76 goe
Tempo change into
Chor Char St Seq - this must be the "We're Young! We're in Love!" part of the movie. And they do have a nice connection as a couple here. 1.30 GOE
ML St Seq - Still Young! Still In Love! level 2, .39goe
Music cut to French vocal. This spells T-R-O-U-B-L-E. Sad faces. Nice spiral. Oh oh.
SL Lift - with clear positions. One foot exit out. Level 5, .69 goe Much improved
Chor Slide - This must be the "Oh no! It's Bad News!" 2.08 goe
Chor Lift - 1.66goe- and into final sudden Juliet Death Pose (I guess it still worked in 1970. And 2018).

Lots of little spinning movements which is pure recycled MFD choreo. Also lots of two foot and skating on the flats. Work the basics.

The program is just not resume worthy. For all involved. They deserve better.

Score: 94.87 a SB and deserved
I wonder if somehow Love Story is even more tragic in French. Like the guy decides he can't go on and offs himself by throwing him self into the Seine or something. BTW.. I hate that movie. "Love means never having to say your sorry" is the biggest piece of malarkey I've ever heard in my life. Every time I've been in love I've practically had "I'm sorry" on speed dial.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Ugh, I can't believe I just got up... Didn't miss much thankfully.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess I'll be the lone voice here. I adore her black boots and I especially adore that dress, and I really, really adore those boots WITH that dress. It is SO CUTE. I just can't. I think that's my favorite costume this season.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Part of the problem with the black boots is for some reason, you can see the insides of them when she is skating and I find it distracting. They make her feet look clunky when she is on an edge. I also don't think the structure of this dress helps.

The dress is ungainly and doesn't have ANY flow.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Or maybe white tights. Though....I don't think they do white tights. Do they?

wouldn't you look ghostly though? Hey.. maybe if you are skating to that soon to be war horse Ghost the musical soundtrack. Or even better..the ghostbusters soundtrack and one of you is the staypuff marshmallow man.

Lota

Record Breaker
These two are so original, so innovative (the lifts are great!) and I really like them, but they're soooooooo slow across the ice and unpolished :sad21: I still hope that they will improve in the future.

Holy Headband

On the Ice

I don't mind the black boots, but yeah, I think here the boots themselves look chunkier than usual, apart from the difference in colour. I wonder if the model really is unusual or if it's just the black colour making it seem different to me.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
The other thing with the black boots is that you can see the white inner part of the boot, which makes them look clunkier than all white or all tan boots.

I was so excited for Nazarova/Nikitin but they're struggling this season. I still really enjoy their low to the ice lifts.

(edit: jinx, oly2018)

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
wouldn't you look ghostly though? Hey.. maybe if you are skating to that soon to be war horse Ghost the musical soundtrack. Or even better..the ghostbusters soundtrack and one of you is the staypuff marshmallow man.

:laugh2: You're the greatest, ancientpeas.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Why do the judges seem to have it in for N/N. That was one longggggggggggggg review.

And no way should they be behind the Japanese.

auser

Record Breaker
I wonder if somehow Love Story is even more tragic in French. Like the guy decides he can't go on and offs himself by throwing him self into the Seine or something. BTW.. I hate that movie. "Love means never having to say your sorry" is the biggest piece of malarkey I've ever heard in my life. Every time I've been in love I've practically had "I'm sorry" on speed dial.
Ha. I never bought that line either :biggrin:.