• Alexandra NAZAROVA / Maxim NIKITIN

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER

Votes: 23 21.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nika09

On the Ice
I can not believe P/C is out :( Was so excited to see them here, since there's almost no information about their new programs. But I hope Guillaume is ok and injury not so serious. Wish him speedy recovery!

This post-Olympic season getting more and more unpleasant...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Word from NBC is that P/C withdrew with a non-serious back injury and they will be at IDF.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
So it looks like someone interesting is getting their first grand prix gold in ice dance. This is going to be a fun one!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'm just excited to see Hawayek & Baker!!! :rock:

Yes, two of the last three great mysteries of the season: programs by H/B, P/C and C/B.

Well two of them will soon be Mysteries No More.

:)

ETA: I just read the above posts. Make that ONE soon to be Mystery No More and wishes for a speedy recovery to M. Cizeron.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wang/Liu have a chance at bronze here now. Although it was back in August, they did beat the Parsons at Asian Open, so if they improve upon their SC outing, it could happen for them.

The Parsons did fly there at the last minute after just having competed in Lake Placid a couple days before. I would say that the more recent CS scores are a better reflection of where the teams stand. The Parsons' SB is ~15 points higher than Wang/Liu's, so if they skate well I think they'll beat them.

Anyways, Fear/Gibson actually have the higher score than Wang/Liu, for what it's worth, S/F had a rough skate in Canada and lost to W/L, but also have a higher SB. And the Parsons's SB is only 0.43 behind Z/G's.

I see it as Z/G, H/B and P/P in the top cluster, potentially quite close together. Then Fear/Gibson, Soucisse/Firus and Wang/Liu in the next cluster. Doesn't mean those top three will be the medalists, but they need to mess up to be passed.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I feel like I'm to blame for the withdrawl. the news broke just after I put my vote in for who would win... :no: I jinx every sport. :laugh:

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Completely wishful thinking because previous scores mean that it probably won't happen but I'd love it if Fear/Gibson won the bronze here - just watching their FD puts me in such a happy mood!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Completely wishful thinking because previous scores mean that it probably won't happen but I'd love it if Fear/Gibson won the bronze here - just watching their FD puts me in such a happy mood!
They've actually got the fourth-best free dance result of anybody here (this is assuming that Hawayek/Baker, who haven't competed yet, perform at their previous standard, which would put them first or second), behind Zahorski/Guerreiro, Hawayek/Baker and the Parsons -- and that was from Skate America, where Lewis had bad twizzles. They actually could be competitive, except for their lower short dance scores, where not just the aforesaid teams but also Soucisse/Firus have scored 5+ points more than them.

pesto

On the Ice
I'm a bit gutted that the French won't be here, but the silver lining is that this will now be a very tight competition.

Only about 33 points in SBs between top and bottom, and plenty of chances for skaters to get their first or their best GP medals.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I really love Soucisse and Firus, especially their Dirty Diana FD. Might be a stretch but I’m pulling for them to catch a bronze.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
They've actually got the fourth-best free dance result of anybody here (this is assuming that Hawayek/Baker, who haven't competed yet, perform at their previous standard, which would put them first or second), behind Zahorski/Guerreiro, Hawayek/Baker and the Parsons -- and that was from Skate America, where Lewis had bad twizzles. They actually could be competitive, except for their lower short dance scores, where not just the aforesaid teams but also Soucisse/Firus have scored 5+ points more than them.

It is a real shame about their RD so really hope they’ve been working with their team to shake it up and see what they can do to improve it. As much as I love them even I can see that it’s holding them back.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I guess it is Z/G vs H/B for gold then. Good opportunity for both teams.

LadyB

Record Breaker
It's not the most exciting line-up for me, but I'm expecting special efforts by Z/G, the Parsons and H/B. Fear/Gibson are not to underestimate in this field, they are great competitors.

Well, whatever happens, I want Piper & Paul in the final, no matter what.

Speedy recovery, G.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Wait, actually, I now realize, this actually kind of has the opposite effect. I was thinking of this still as three teams competing for the two remaining spots, but there are actually three spots now, since P/C won’t be in the Final.

So Piper/Paul actually don’t need gold at IdF, they need silver and a higher combined score than whichever of Z/G and H/B comes second at NHK:

1. Hubbell/Donohue (1+1)
2. Stepanova/Bukin (1+1/2)
3. Guignard/Fabbri (2+2)

And then some combination of:

Zahorski/Guerreiro (3+1/2)
Sinitsina/Katsalapov (2+1/2/3)
Gilles/Poirier (3+1/2)
Hawayek/Baker (1/2+1/2/3)

Thank you! I was so confused because I thought this made Piper and Paul’s chances better because whoever gets silver or bronze here isn’t guaranteed a spot in the final, where as if P/C had got gold here and Z/G got silver then it was likely over for Piper and Paul. But with P/C withdrawing from NHK that means their spot in the final is also up for grabs.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I really love Soucisse and Firus, especially their Dirty Diana FD. Might be a stretch but I’m pulling for them to catch a bronze.
They’re certainly capable of beating the Parsons (they did last year), but they need to nail the free in a way that has been eluding them so far this year.

Thank you! I was so confused because I thought this made Piper and Paul’s chances better because whoever gets silver or bronze here isn’t guaranteed a spot in the final, where as if P/C had got gold here and Z/G got silver then it was likely over for Piper and Paul.
They would have been fine against Z/G as long as they got silver in France. In that sense, this shakeup hasn’t affected what they need at all. It comes down to beating S/K in the rematch.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
They’re certainly capable of beating the Parsons (they did last year), but they need to nail the free in a way that has been eluding them so far this year.

Soucisse & Firus need to get the pattern. They've had a level 1 and a basic in two out of three international competitions thus far.

Fear & Gibson are having the same problem.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It's not the most exciting line-up for me, but I'm expecting special efforts by Z/G, the Parsons and H/B. Fear/Gibson are not to underestimate in this field, they are great competitors.

Well, whatever happens, I want Piper & Paul in the final, no matter what.

Speedy recovery, G.

Actually because there is no clear-cut overwhelming favorite, I think it makes it much MORE exciting. Alas, there is a good chance I am going to miss it, because my Mom isn't doing well and I will probably not be home Friday or Saturday. So if I'm not here, could someone step up and do the PBP? Much appreciated!

LadyB

Record Breaker
Actually because there is no clear-cut overwhelming favorite, I think it makes it much MORE exciting. Alas, there is a good chance I am going to miss it, because my Mom isn't doing well and I will probably not be home Friday or Saturday. So if I'm not here, could someone step up and do the PBP? Much appreciated!

Oh no, all the best to your mum!!! Hope she gets well soon!
You definitely got a point as far as competition is concerned.
Just for me... there’s nobody who makes my heart beat faster. Apart from keeping my fingers crossed for P&P.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Oh no, all the best to your mum!!! Hope she gets well soon!
You definitely got a point as far as competition is concerned.
Just for me... there’s nobody who makes my heart beat faster. Apart from keeping my fingers crossed for P&P.

Thank you for the well wishes. Mom would say thank you too. :)

Why not think of it as a chance to discover NEW teams that will make your heart beat faster? They don't have to be in your personal top ten, but the more teams you root for, the more fun it is to watch. Just my two cents on it. ;)