2022 NHK Trophy Free Dance | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2022 NHK Trophy Free Dance

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Well the Danadians score here are quite low behind Piper and Paul as well as the Italians and I think HB as well.
Their scores are higher than HB at SKAM but HB still have next week to compete so we’ll have to wait and see. I don’t think anyone is guaranteed a spot on the worlds podium. They are going to have to skate for it as they are so close in skill, so one mistake could knock anyone off.

It will be interesting to see how C/B fair - their trajectory seems to be going a bit like WeaPo in their final year as WeaPo started losing ground to Piper and Paul. I really love C/B but their programmes seem a bit uninspired - the FD has a lot of choreo similar to their last two FDs (WeaPo did the same thing in their final year). I don’t know if they just kinda expected to be first place, but it feels like Piper and Paul and the Italians are fighting for it more.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Just watched the re-run. So much variety of performances and most so enjoyable. The top teams were in the correct order but I thought that the Allison Reed/Saulius Ambrulevicius was superior. A lesson in how important the Rhythm dance is!
Every year in August I tell myself not to rush to judgement on a debut performance. Green & Parsons' RD is light years better now than it was then (though I'd still prefer a change of music for the 3rd track rather than a reprise of the first.) The Gershwin FD has improved alot but still needs more difficulty in choreo, particularly the Character Steps are very basic. But they skate it so beautifully. I was thrilled to see them hang on to win a medal.

The Lithuanians FD is a total rip off of the opening and closing of Kati Winkler & Rene Lohse's Time Goes Millenium FD, same choreo, same music.

Last edited:

Sackie

Medalist
Am really glad that the CAN dancers are doing so well but as IceDancingQueen mentioned, I keep going back to Weaver/Poje and how they were winning almost everything for 2 years except Worlds. And there wins were not even close - but yet when they go to worlds they were marked down. Then they got dropped when Virtue/Moir returned. So anything can happen between now and worlds.

lauramartha3

Spectator
I wasn't surprised at all that Chock/Bates came in second; both of their programs had boring music and boring choreography (and Evan is not a strong skater; never has been). It shouldn't be written as a "surprise"; that implies that results are 'known' ahead of time. Would love to see duo that skated to "Nureyev" music get results they deserve; I thought they had real potential. Just my opinions: no nasty replies, please.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I wasn't surprised at all that Chock/Bates came in second; both of their programs had boring music and boring choreography (and Evan is not a strong skater; never has been). It shouldn't be written as a "surprise"; that implies that results are 'known' ahead of time. Would love to see duo that skated to "Nureyev" music get results they deserve; I thought they had real potential. Just my opinions: no nasty replies, please.
I would politely disagree. Evan may have lost a step or two over the years, but he is a much stronger technical skater than Maddie has ever been.

She is of course wonderful in engaging the interest of the audience.

What seems a bit different this year is that their programs are not as crowd pleasing as they have been in the recent past, and that for whatever reason they are not being as generously scored when they make errors. JMHO!

sworddance21

On the Ice
I would politely disagree. Evan may have lost a step or two over the years, but he is a much stronger technical skater than Maddie has ever been.

She is of course wonderful in engaging the interest of the audience.

What seems a bit different this year is that their programs are not as crowd pleasing as they have been in the recent past, and that for whatever reason they are not being as generously scored when they make errors. JMHO!
I haven't seen much ice dance this season. I just watched the NBC recap show and saw Maddie and Evan. I came to this thread just now to say that I really loved it. I usually appreciate their skill, but don't connect with their programs. This was the first time in a very long time I have really LIKED a program of Maddie and Evan.