2022 NHK Trophy Free Dance | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2022 NHK Trophy Free Dance

Sackie

Medalist
I demand that Canada is given back its 3 spots based on the simple fact that our dance teams win medal at every GP so far... GIVE IT BACK !
I was thinking earlier in the season that there should be some provision in place to make such changes especially in a post Olympic year when we see skaters and teams retiring. I mean they change the seeded skaters according to retirements why not world entries. And not just in dance. Even in men's results this season the USA only has 1 man in the SB top 20 yet they get to send 3 to worlds while Italy which has 4 in the top 20 only get to send 2.

Aklaus

Rinkside
oh happy day ... but for the canadians, surprise, surprise.
But they deserve this victory and it is great for them.
When someone is fighting again and again over the years with different elements, it is not coincidental, it is a problem of skating skills.
I remember former posts here praising the great look of Chock and Bates. I do not deny, both are very handsome people.
Bot IMO they are not among the best skaters regarding their blades, their lines f.e.
Their lifts - well, thy take benefit from their bodies composure. Lifts are much more difficult whithout that height difference (H/B oder G/F) or even the woman is a little bit stronger and not as tiny as Chock is. And when you need a sheet of paper to explain the content, story telling is something I can not take serious.

Finland should be very interesting. Can Gilles and Poirier earn the points they got before again? And what about Hawayek and Baker?
Could they polish the RD, getting 83 or 84 points for it - their FD is amazing ... so may they can rise on the occasion and complete the numbers of medel contenders this year. I would appreciate that very much.

Andrea82

Medalist

snd

On the Ice
C/B just don't have a good fd this season. the music is forgettable and there's no clear concept. not surprised at all they lost to the very 'easy to understand' canadian fd, even though FB/S were kinda rough around the edges

rain

Record Breaker
OK, I wake up to these stunning results. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but huge congrats to FB/S on the huge upset win. They have now solidly overtaken Lajoie/Lagha for the second spot to worlds, and I could not agree more with this:
I demand that Canada is given back its 3 spots based on the simple fact that our dance teams win medal at every GP so far... GIVE IT BACK !
as both teams clearly deserve to be there with Piper and Paul. Lajoie/Lagha are a team on the rise who will be badly hampered by not being able to get to worlds. They were unlucky in their GP draw this season, hitting events where there were already two strong teams ahead of them, where other fields were much weaker and they could have been going to the GPF in other circumstances.

How teams are allocated to worlds is so imperfect. I remember after the Olympics when, due to Gabby and Kaetlyn Canada had three spots in women's, which the country clearly didn't need, given how weak the field was underneath them. Or look at Spain finally having two ice dance spots when they no longer need them because both of their top teams have retired (and was that ever an injustice that both of those teams couldn't go to worlds — all those long, ridiculous years).

If I'm Chock/Bates, I'm panicking right now. What I would do: skip the grand prix final, where it's likely they'll lose to teams they can't afford to lose to and go back to the drawing board on the FD. The RD is in OK shape with the score they put up here, but they need a wholesale change to show the judges on the FD. They're in the tough position of not really being able to go back to an old FD either, because they already used the snake program for two seasons, and by the end of the second it was far less effective, and the astronaut program is too recent. Their only hope is to knuckle down and create something memorable, cannibalizing the best parts of the current FD into something completely new.

Sackie

Medalist
Rain - I was wondering as well if C/B might skip the GPF. But they may wait and see how H/B do next week - if H/B score better in the RD C/B may not want to meet them at the GPF and end up being the USA #2 there. In which case LaLa would probably be the next in line to go to the GPF.

rain

Record Breaker
Rain - I was wondering as well if C/B might skip the GPF. But they may wait and see how H/B do next week - if H/B score better in the RD C/B may not want to meet them at the GPF and end up being the USA #2 there. In which case LaLa would probably be the next in line to go to the GPF.
The thing is, it's not just Hawayek/Baker they need to be worried about. Yes, it would be pretty catastrophic for them to lose their cache as US #1, but they also don't want to lose to FB/S again, which is a possibility now, Guinard/Fabri and Gilles/Poirier. Have they even faced Fear/Gibson yet? No, I don't think they should face these teams with the material they have, and they need all the time they can get if they in fact change the FD — which I think they definitely need to do. If they can come out looking like a new team again at U.S. nationals, then head to 4 Continents they can maybe get back on track. But what the results at this competition show is that not only are they now not favourites for world gold, they are even in a stiff fight to remain on the podium.

Lynse

On the Ice
Just watched the re-run. So much variety of performances and most so enjoyable. The top teams were in the correct order but I thought that the Allison Reed/Saulius Ambrulevicius was superior. A lesson in how important the Rhythm dance is!

skatemd1

On the Ice
As I've said before, this program is nice but bland. Green/Parsons are better than this
I disagree. I think it is captivating and beautifully skated. It has come a long way in recent weeks, and shows off so many great aspects if this team, including G/P's versatility. I loved it.

theblade

On the Ice
I fell asleep in front of the TV as the first dance warmup group was about to step on the ice. Argh! Is there a place to watch the event again?

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
OK, I wake up to these stunning results. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but huge congrats to FB/S on the huge upset win. They have now solidly overtaken Lajoie/Lagha for the second spot to worlds, and I could not agree more with this:

as both teams clearly deserve to be there with Piper and Paul. Lajoie/Lagha are a team on the rise who will be badly hampered by not being able to get to worlds. They were unlucky in their GP draw this season, hitting events where there were already two strong teams ahead of them, where other fields were much weaker and they could have been going to the GPF in other circumstances.

How teams are allocated to worlds is so imperfect. I remember after the Olympics when, due to Gabby and Kaetlyn Canada had three spots in women's, which the country clearly didn't need, given how weak the field was underneath them. Or look at Spain finally having two ice dance spots when they no longer need them because both of their top teams have retired (and was that ever an injustice that both of those teams couldn't go to worlds — all those long, ridiculous years).

If I'm Chock/Bates, I'm panicking right now. What I would do: skip the grand prix final, where it's likely they'll lose to teams they can't afford to lose to and go back to the drawing board on the FD. The RD is in OK shape with the score they put up here, but they need a wholesale change to show the judges on the FD. They're in the tough position of not really being able to go back to an old FD either, because they already used the snake program for two seasons, and by the end of the second it was far less effective, and the astronaut program is too recent. Their only hope is to knuckle down and create something memorable, cannibalizing the best parts of the current FD into something completely new.
I don't know if I agree about skipping GPF when they clearly need more competitive experience before Nationals, but agree that Madi and Evan should be on high alert. But I also think that next week will be telling for Gilles and Poirier, because they could be on the same trajectory as last year, getting a big score at a home GP that they never manage to replicate again... Hawayek/Baker are a real threat to them this season, especially since they have already gotten feedback from multiple judging panels.

The big takeaway from this season for me so far is that September/early October senior Bs are very important in ice dance right now-- all the teams who could get away with skipping them in the past are out of the mix right now (Shibs, Papadakis/Cizeron) and it's essential to test your material outside of your home country early on.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Yes he said in an interview at Skate Canada that his grandmother who he recently lost always wanted them to skate to Gershwin so this is in her honor. Sweet.
And it’s a beautiful piece of music. But I still say that the choreo is lacking, and barely scratches the surface of this team’s capabilities.

Imagine if they had come out with last year’s FD THIS season, with Hubbell & Donohue out and Chock & Bates looking underprepared out of the gate. Or, imagine if they had something equally amazing this season. We would be having a very different conversation!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have to admit at this point I like the three Canadian teams but especially the Danadians and Piper and Paul. I do think the Italians and Chock and Bates will come back with a vengeance but one would hope or think Canada should get a medal come worlds in ID.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I really love La/La, but FB/S had a fantastic performance here, aided by the skirt. That is the second time this season that skirt really partners with the dancing duo. Other than that, I really liked L/B and D/T. I actually liked C/B FD too, and if they won wouldn’t have seen anything strange

yesterday

Record Breaker
I really love La/La, but FB/S had a fantastic performance here, aided by the skirt. That is the second time this season that skirt really partners with the dancing duo. Other than that, I really liked L/B and D/T. I actually liked C/B FD too, and if they won wouldn’t have seen anything strange
So, if there's a song called "In This Skirt", it should qualify for a nice ID program as Singles skaters like to use "In This Shirt"?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have to admit at this point I like the three Canadian teams but especially the Danadians and Piper and Paul. I do think the Italians and Chock and Bates will come back with a vengeance but one would hope or think Canada should get a medal come worlds in ID.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
So, if there's a song called "In This Skirt", it should qualify for a nice ID program as Singles skaters like to use "In This Shirt"?
Yes, Mrazkova/Mrazek should do it next year. I’ll all accept Dat Skirt! or Skirt, Skirt, Skirt!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
For those wondering... Here are the season's best scores so far. (and why it is sad Canada has only two spots for Worlds... 2 teams in top 3, 3 teams in top 6, 4 teams in top 12).
Standing as of 19.11.2022 10:33 UTC
RankNameCountryEventDateScoreLevel
1Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIERCANISU GP Skate Canada International 202229/10/2022215.70S
2Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRIITAISU GP MK John Wilson Trophy 202213/11/2022213.74S
3Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SOERENSENCANISU GP NHK Trophy 202219/11/2022210.41S
4Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSONGBRISU GP Skate Canada International 202229/10/2022209.18S
5Madison CHOCK / Evan BATESUSAISU GP NHK Trophy 202219/11/2022209.13S
6Marjorie LAJOIE / Zachary LAGHACANISU CS Budapest Trophy 202216/10/2022202.40S
7Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKERUSAISU GP Skate America 202223/10/2022202.07S
8Caroline GREEN / Michael PARSONSUSAISU GP Skate Canada International 202229/10/2022194.19S
9Evgeniia LOPAREVA / Geoffrey BRISSAUDFRAISU CS Budapest Trophy 202216/10/2022192.85S
10Allison REED / Saulius AMBRULEVICIUSLTUISU GP NHK Trophy 202219/11/2022189.98S
11Marie-Jade LAURIAULT / Romain LE GACCANISU GP Skate Canada International 202229/10/2022189.07S
12Kana MURAMOTO / Daisuke TAKAHASHIJPNISU CS Denis Ten Memorial Challenge 202228/10/2022188.30S