2018 Skate Canada Pairs Free Skate | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate Canada Pairs Free Skate

Nika09

On the Ice
Vanessa and Morgan probably just have the moment of their lives. Everything about it was glorious!!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
With this score, last week at SA they would have been easily on the second place. That's FS...I hope they will get even more ambitious, because they really have the potential to be great! :luv17:

They actually had a 3T+Eu+3S last season with this FS. They had some success in landing it but I’m glad they took it out and worked instead on their lifts, speed, flow, connection. They could add it back later again, once they get more comfortable.

TheBallerina

#teamtutberidze
Record Breaker
They actually had a 3T+Eu+3S last season with this FS. They had some success in landing it but I’m glad they took it out and worked instead on their lifts, speed, flow, connection. They could add it back later again, once they get more comfortable.

I was writing about B/K...About P/J, I really hope they will add this combo later it the season, it's a shame to not have triple SBS jumps in their program, all their other elements are on a very high level :thumbsup:

tabsy

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Hi all!

186 players in pairs, predictions are in after the free!

It took me a fair bit longer than an hour and a half as I had some spreadsheet difficulties, but we're here now.

Congratulations to the 2 gold medallists, satine and Ruby999, both with 75 points! :cheer:

41 players got the silver, with an impressive 70 points.

29 players got the bronze with 65 points.

Well done to all players for giving it a go, and a special shout-out to Evelyn and Trennt for their much improved outing, and Vanessa and Morgan for that spectacular skate :love:

I'll get all the scores uploaded as soon as I can, but I'm pretty exhausted so it might be tomorrow. If you want to know yours before them, let me know and I'll look it up.

gold12345

Medalist
About P/J vs MT/M, MT/M don't have a strong twist and also had a downgraded jump. While P/J didn't have a clean triple and just did 2S, they do have some better qualities/elements, so I can see why the result went how it did. And the difference was only a fraction of a point.

James/Cipres were amazing today. I think it was the most solid they've ever looked in a free skate.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I just watched J/C: did they really do THAT this early in the season?? :yahoo::hap57:

They really are trying to grab that world championship! With all the bad sbs jumps it is so amazing to see them performed so well. Love this program and everything that they're giving me. They're so much more confident now and they managed to avoid all of the awkward errors. :dance::bow:

ETA: Shallow moment--Morgan's top. :drama::love:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't think I've ever seen Vanessa and Morgan skate so well. That was amazing!

They have definitely put everyone on notice that they're serious about going for that Worlds Gold.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I just watched J/C: did they really do THAT this early in the season?? :yahoo::hap57:

They really are trying to grab that world championship! With all the bad sbs jumps it is so amazing to see them performed so well. Love this program and everything that they're giving me. They're so much more confident now and they managed to avoid all of the awkward errors. :dance::bow:

ETA: Shallow moment--Morgan's top. :drama::love:
Vanessa and James next world champions. They seem to have gained more confidence and in the apparent stagnation or fall of T and M and absence of Sui and Han; the Canadian retirements and splits and severe medicority in Russia and rut of USA gold is looking good.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
About P/J vs MT/M, MT/M don't have a strong twist and also had a downgraded jump. While P/J didn't have a clean triple and just did 2S, they do have some better qualities/elements, so I can see why the result went how it did. And the difference was only a fraction of a point.
Silver versus bronze was a coin flip. I couldn’t really argue with either result.

Which is also why somebody in Marcotte’s shop needs to ditch that Euler combo that never works in competition. KMT/Marinaro would be getting better results with a simpler three-jump combination that they could sync reliably. I will keep beating this drum until they listen.

sowcow

On the Ice
Silver versus bronze was a coin flip. I couldn’t really argue with either result.

Which is also why somebody in Marcotte’s shop needs to ditch that Euler combo that never works in competition. KMT/Marinaro would be getting better results with a simpler three-jump combination that they could sync reliably. I will keep beating this drum until they listen.

My guess is it is in the program (and will remain there) because of Michael's abilities/preference...

In other words, they care less about 'sync'hronization of the jumps, than about simply having both (and especially Michael) land the jumps!
  • If you study Michael's typical landings, you'll find he is usually leaning outside the circle or bent forward at the waist.
    • In either case, you're less likely to be successful at immediately 'toeing-in' for a (double-double- OR triple-) toe-loop, versus being able to regain your balance (and maybe pick up a little speed) with an Euler (1/2-loop) jump ... before attempting a triple salchow!
So, although the story is that the "2 Axel - Euler - 3-Salchow" is in the program for points maximization ... I'd bet it has more to do fundamentally with Michael's abilities (given his often poor landing positions on his first jump in the sequence/combination).

Just a hunch...

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm definitely rooting for Peng/Jin to got to GPF! Boikova/Kozlovskii will probably be on the podium at Russian nationals and will go to Euros this season :) I'm not a big fan of James/Cipres program this year, they skated well though.M-T/M programs look all similiar to me... but maybe it's because they have the same expressions all the time, the program was nicely skated though. Kirsten has some fab skills. Micheal posture during lifts is scaring me though.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well Vanessa and Morgan threw down the gauntlet.

Now here's hoping it's only the start.

Wow. Really. Just wow. I watched it 3x in a row and wow wow wow.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
My god I don't even watch ice dance religiously but I'm already done with tangos ...

Shaky beginning, poor girl looked quite rattled until the pair spin. Great comeback to finish strong. Don't really understand the choreography of the death spiral though, it's like the music took a break and come back nicely for the finishing pose.

Try watching a season of Paso Doble.

:hap57:

mysticice

Rinkside
LOL I had to google that. So she was shooting t-shirt to lucky(?) ones in the audience? What kind of t-shirts? Never heard of it before...

I got one of those t-shirts a couple of years ago during TEB. It was a plain white t-shirt with an ad in front. Nothing to get too excited about.

Artemisa

Final Flight
It is what it is. They were held down in the short program :( any chance they can qualify to the final?

I think the problem is that they were in the first group ... and the jury didn't want to give her them the points they deserve ...

I love Boikova for one reason .... she had a lot of growing last year but she never gave up ... or her partner ...