2018 US Championships Sr Men SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr Men SP

da96103

Record Breaker
We know it's likely nationals 1, 2, 3 will be selected to the olympic team. But from the ladies' scoring, it's clear the judges can easily use GOE and PCS to place the skaters. It seems they are about to dump Ashley in the ladies. Would they use similar tactic in the men and who would be the victim?

Is it not so easy to dump the three men who were in GPF compared to dumping Ashley who skipped a GP event.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Sadly, it'll be too late for me to watch, but my fingers are very firmly crossed for Adam and Ross!!! Go lads :clapper:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
We know it's likely nationals 1, 2, 3 will be selected to the olympic team. But from the ladies' scoring, it's clear the judges can easily use GOE and PCS to place the skaters. It seems they are about to dump Ashley in the ladies. Would they use similar tactic in the men and who would be the victim?

Ashley hardly made a case for herself this season with one mediocre competition and one that she didn't complete. Adam's situation is quite different. Adam is #7 on the Season's Best list...Ashley is #33.

Zhenya is DIVINE

On the Ice
Country
Russia

Max Aaron

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I would love to see Adam go you know what to the wall, and go for the 4Lz and the 3F-3R in the short. He seems like the favorite at this point for 2nd, but look what is happening to Ashley over on the ladies’ side. It may not be prudent to rest on a clean performance with only triples.

Adam always < 4Lz in competition, sometimes even << which brings BV back to 3Lz. Often falls on top of that, I don't think it's prudent for him.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think it's a good thing that Max isn't crammed into that final group. He will set the tone for the event and if he skates clean, I think only Nathan will beat him in the SP. IMO, He does need to make his move in the SP. Adam and Jason both have great LP's and he needs to lead over them following the short if he's going to have a chance at getting on the podium.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
FWIW:

Here is the SP start for the last few medalists:
2017: Chen (last group; 3rd in 2016); Zhou (second to last group) and Brown (last group; he did not have a bye since he was not at 2016 nationals, but Jason seems to get this draw)
2016: Rippon (last group; 2nd in 2015); Aaron (last group; 4th in 2015) and Chen (1st group)
2015: Brown (second to last group; 2nd in 2014); Rippon (2nd group) Farris (last group, 4th in 2014)
2014: Abbott (last group 3rd in 2013); Brown (2nd group); Aaron (last group, 1st in 2013))
2013: Aaron (1st group); Miner (last group; 3rd in 2012); Abbott (last group, 1st in 2012)

Being a past medalist (or consistently in the top 5) helps in getting a later start number, but with the exception of last year, there is at least one medalist who isn't in the last two groups in the SP and there hasn't been a year where all three medalists were in the last group -- so if the top three is Nathan, Adam, Jason, it would be a new pattern, LOL.

(yes, yes I know pewter, but since top 3 will likely get selected for Olympic team, focusing on those placements for this exercise). And of course correlation =/= causation.

:laugh: new interesting statistics to insert...

...so Adam(injured) was just lucky to draw the last group and Max(9th) unlucky? Or not if he nails it and again puts pressure on the rest. By the way who where the five best at last nationals?

LOL, after reading the sturm und drang, speculations, guessing and voting, I just must get up in the middle of the night to watch this (if the pirate channel works) Beside the Oly-spots competition I'm sure there’ll be lot's of excitement. Happy for all the guys who made it. US figure skating nationals seems to be something special - a big feast for many.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Best of luck to all boys! :cheer::cheer: Esp to Max, Ross, Grant, Sean, Scott and Emmanuel Savary! Yes I'm forever a cheergirl for veterans and underdogs. ;):biggrin:

elysium8

Rinkside
The Men's SP order is up. Max is in the first group. Merde. Vincent the third and Nathan in the last along with Adam and Jason though Nathan skates first. Who chooses the order? Is it random draw? It does not bode well for Max.

Is there a link to the skate order (i.e. is that info posted online somewhere)? Thank you.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Is there a link to the skate order (i.e. is that info posted online somewhere)? Thank you.

post one in this thread

and

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2018/26192/results.html

Had a look at rockerskating’s report for men’s latest practice. Kudos to him. Knocks me out how he can write informations and at the same time watch performances and enjoy(?) them :thumbsup:

Adam seems pretty solid. Jason having problems with 3-axel in runthrough, but training 4-toe!. Max showing a lot of good quads! Vincent a bit all over the place with his quads, but better than yesterday.

but Nathan: step, step, step, fall, fall, fall, steps, falls, pops, hangs on :confused:

mrrice

Record Breaker
post one in this thread

and

Had a look at rockerskating’s report for men’s latest practice. Kudos to him. Knocks me out how he can write informations and at the same time watch performances and enjoy(?) them :thumbsup:

Adam seems pretty solid. Jason having problems with 3-axel in runthrough, but training 4-toe!. Max showing a lot of good quads! Vincent a bit all over the place with his quads, but better than yesterday.

but Nathan: step, step, step, fall, fall, fall, steps, falls, pops, hangs on :confused:

I hope he's not injured....If so, I hope he doesn't push it and make things worse. If any skater could get on the team via committee it's him.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
post one in this thread

and

This clip shows Jason’s 3A and 3F-3T in SP run through yesterday. Jackie noted a foot down on the 3A, but it’s very slight. The step out at the end of the combo, on the other hand, is quite noticeable:

https://twitter.com/fsonline/status/948686825635291137

Here’s more of the SP run through:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=74Tzwkyl3H8

Here’s his landed quad (not in run through):

https://mobile.twitter.com/backseat_judges/status/948687138345766913

So, not perfect, but some good stuff happening.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I can't believe there isn't more happening in this thread.....Is there anyone who attended the Men's practice and can give us a detailed report?

Roo87

Medalist
Is there a live stream for this Canadian? please say yes, I need to watch the amazingness that is Jason Brown!