2019 Canadian Nationals Senior Free Dance | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2019 Canadian Nationals Senior Free Dance

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Confused by this — W/P deserved the win on the basis of their skating skills and footwork in TES even though Piper and Paul received a higher overall TES score? :scratch2: To me, it appears that their overall win came down to the more subjective elements of the PCS. That’s what disappoints me. I do admit I’m biased, but aren’t we all? ;)

They didn't though. W/P had 1.69 points higher TES in the RD. G/P had 0.95 points higher TES in the FD. So W/P had the higher TES overall.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
W/P's free is not as impressive as their RD. It is a little bit generic, lacks substance and they performed it cautiously here. While their RD can contend for best in the world I think this free would sink in the standings at Worlds. I don't think the tribute aspect is problematic or that the music is too cheesy, it's very nice, it's just that I found no purpose or meaning behind most of the choreography. Maybe they could rework sections of it.

Piper and Paul could have won here based on the strength of their FD. I think like a teensy TES difference got them the higher score in the free and there could have been more of a gap. But yeah they really need to fix their RD issues because this is the weak spot that will let even the Russian teams leave them in the dust at worlds. Levels and less stonyness in the RD pls pls pls.

rain

Record Breaker
W/P's free is not as impressive as their RD. It is a little bit generic, lacks substance and they performed it cautiously here. While their RD can contend for best in the world I think this free would sink in the standings at Worlds. I don't think the tribute aspect is problematic or that the music is too cheesy, it's very nice, it's just that I found no purpose or meaning behind most of the choreography. Maybe they could rework sections of it.

Piper and Paul could have won here based on the strength of their FD. I think like a teensy TES difference got them the higher score in the free and there could have been more of a gap. But yeah they really need to fix their RD issues because this is the weak spot that will let even the Russian teams leave them in the dust at worlds. Levels and less stonyness in the RD pls pls pls.

I agree there could have been a bigger gap, giving Piper and Paul the win overall. If you look at the protocols, for example, they got virtually the same score for the choreographic slide. Piper and Paul's is one of the best of the season, and I thought Weaver and Poje's was actually pretty weak — they should re-work it before worlds, IMO. That's just one example. But Piper and Paul need to make sure the judges can't lowball them in the rhythm dance and put them totally out of contention. It's been their nemesis all season.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
They didn't though. W/P had 1.69 points higher TES in the RD. G/P had 0.95 points higher TES in the FD. So W/P had the higher TES overall.

Yes of course, I meant TES in the FD, and had already edited to clarify. :)

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I agree there could have been a bigger gap, giving Piper and Paul the win overall. If you look at the protocols, for example, they got virtually the same score for the choreographic slide. Piper and Paul's is one of the best of the season, and I thought Weaver and Poje's was actually pretty weak — they should re-work it before worlds, IMO. That's just one example. But Piper and Paul need to make sure the judges can't lowball them in the rhythm dance and put them totally out of contention. It's been their nemesis all season.
Check the protocols more closely. W/P didn’t perform a choreographic slide. They did a choreo Lift, Steps, and Spin. Their knee slide was part of the choreographic Step Sequence. Overall, W/P outscored G/P on the three combined choreographic elements.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I wish they'd just kept the weekend FD (being one of the only ones who seemed to like/really like it)

I like it it’s like a fight on ice. It’s very volatile and an interesting way. It’s not my favourite FD of the season but it’s unique.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I just watched the top and now I want to cry... P squared really have magical FD this season! :love: :love: :love: :cry:

Actually the fight for 1st place went excatly like I thought. P sqaured winning FD :love: , but WeaPo winning overall :luv17: I love both teams so I'd happy reagardless of which team would won though.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker

Check the protocols more closely. W/P didn’t perform a choreographic slide. They did a choreo Lift, Steps, and Spin. Their knee slide was part of the choreographic Step Sequence. Overall, W/P outscored G/P on the three combined choreographic elements.

True, I like that W/P can demonstrate a slide within their choreo step sequence and is well timed to the accent of the music. If they synchronize their body positions a bit better like ACI during the slide, it's a magical moment.

Anyway, I think if some are saying that there should be a bigger gap in favour of G/P in the FD because of GOE, to be fair, the same can be said in favour of W/P for the RD. Watch G/P's tango romantica and W/P's tango romantica. I'm a bit puzzled at how W/P's pattern only earned a combined 0.11 points more in GOE than G/P's pattern. IMO, W/P's pattern was more effortless, the entry and exit were more seamlessly woven into the dance, had greater confidence in the changes of hold and edges, more pleasing body lines, and uses nuances of the music better.

rain

Record Breaker

OK. Nevertheless, I disagree with giving the edge to Weaver/Poje on the choreographic elements. And I still think W/P should clean up their knee slide, even if it's part of a choreographic step.

Even though I'm arguing that Piper and Paul should have won overall, I'd still like to see W/P do as well as possible at worlds, and there were a few things to work on. The twizzles, as always. Also, I love the spin where they intertwine hands, but it should be faster. Are they going to do 4CC? It will be very interesting to see where the international judges place them, particularly relative to Hubbell and Donohue.

LaArdilla

Medalist
Gosh, what an event! Obviously I overslept and have just caught up. Awesome skate for the Canadanes and "generically lovely" but still beautiful program by WePo. Piper and Paul were just brilliant, they finally skated this program to its full potential. Their material this year belongs to the World podium and it will be such a shame if they don't manage to get there. Here's hoping that they drill the tango, slay at the 4CC and get some momentum for the Worlds.

Me being shallow: Kaitlyn had fantastic hair. Carol Lane looked amazing, glad that someone brought some glam into K&C in MFD's absence ;)

LadyB

Record Breaker

:agree: