2019 Four Continents: Ice Dance Pregame Chat | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2019 Four Continents: Ice Dance Pregame Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I think F-B/S are going to exceed expectations here. I'm rooting hard for Weaver/Poje and Chock/Bates but Laurence and Nikolaj have real top five potential which would be a huge statement.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think F-B/S are going to exceed expectations here. I'm rooting hard for Weaver/Poje and Chock/Bates but Laurence and Nikolaj have real top five potential which would be a huge statement.

Who among the three American teams and two other Canadian teams do you think they can beat to make it into Top 5?

Barring a mishap from one of the top teams, and I'm not saying that couldn't happen, I don't see it.

i like the couple, don't get me wrong - but they're not ready to challenge the others.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Who among the three American teams and two other Canadian teams do you think they can beat to make it into Top 5?

Barring a mishap from one of the top teams, and I'm not saying that couldn't happen, I don't see it.

i like the couple, don't get me wrong - but they're not ready to challenge the others.

Hawayek/Baker would be the team for them to beat. There's a big gap between the top two Canadian and US teams, and H/B score-wise, so they are by far the most vulnerable. If FB/S beat H/B, that would be an upset, but not a massive one.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hawayek/Baker would be the team for them to beat. There's a big gap between the top two Canadian and US teams, and H/B score-wise, so they are by far the most vulnerable. If FB/S beat H/B, that would be an upset, but not a massive one.

They might beat H/B... who knows, stranger things have happened... but H/B were a GPF team, and if FB/S beat them, I think it WOULD be a massive upset.

Note: I'm not particularly rooting for any outcome. Of American dance pairs, H/B come in at about #5 on my list of favorites. Maybe #6.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They might beat H/B... who knows, stranger things have happened... but H/B were a GPF team, and if FB/S beat them, I think it WOULD be a massive upset.

Note: I'm not particularly rooting for any outcome. Of American dance pairs, H/B come in at about #5 on my list of favorites. Maybe #6.

They were a GPF team mainly due to P/C getting hurt and missing NHK (they were 4th at IdF). At the GPF, there was a huge gap between the top four teams, and the 5-6 teams. Stepanova/Bukin at 4th had 196.72, Zagorski/Guerreiro at 5th had 184.37 and Hawayek/Baker had 184.04. Making the GPF was a big accomplishment, and is one of the reasons it would be an upset for FB/S to beat them. But it's a mistake if you see them as near the same level as the top teams just because they made the final (when P/C, C/B and W/P were all missing, for context).

Take a look at the SB list. There's the top 7 teams (Chock/Bates don't have an official SB yet) in the 200s to high 190s, then a big gap, then several teams in the low 180s. Weaver/Poje has a 197 SB, whereas H/B have a 184. There's a huge difference between a team like Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen beating Hawayek/Baker and them beating one of the top 2 US or Canadian teams. The first is an upset, then second is a massive upset.

readernick

Medalist
They were a GPF team mainly due to P/C getting hurt and missing NHK (they were 4th at IdF). At the GPF, there was a huge gap between the top four teams, and the 5-6 teams. Stepanova/Bukin at 4th had 196.72, Zagorski/Guerreiro at 5th had 184.37 and Hawayek/Baker had 184.04. Making the GPF was a big accomplishment, and is one of the reasons it would be an upset for FB/S to beat them. But it's a mistake if you see them as near the same level as the top teams just because they made the final (when P/C, C/B and W/P were all missing, for context).

Take a look at the SB list. There's the top 7 teams (Chock/Bates don't have an official SB yet) in the 200s to high 190s, then a big gap, then several teams in the low 180s. Weaver/Poje has a 197 SB, whereas H/B have a 184. There's a huge difference between a team like Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen beating Hawayek/Baker and them beating one of the top 2 US or Canadian teams. The first is an upset, then second is a massive upset.

Agree, I would say that FB/ S looked quite messy as the fd went on at Canadian nationals. The beginning was great by the end it was quite sloppy. If they skate like that here, I don’t see them beating H/B. But, if they have cleaned up their programs it is possible. I like their style.

humbaba

Final Flight
Tech panel for 4CC:

TC-- Halina Gordon Poltorak

TS-- Marie Bowness

ATS-- Svetlana Lyapina

I think Bowness is from Canada. If so, this means Weaver/Poje will go into Worlds not having faced a non-Canadian TS this season.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Tech panel for 4CC:

TC-- Halina Gordon Poltorak

TS-- Marie Bowness

ATS-- Svetlana Lyapina

I think Bowness is from Canada. If so, this means Weaver/Poje will go into Worlds not having faced a non-Canadian TS this season.

Interesting! Svetlana Lyapina is Jonathon Guerrero's mother. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svetlana_Liapina This will be good for the Aussies! She coached ice dance in Australia for some time.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker

W/P got 3 level 2's in their RD with Shae Zukiwsky (CAN) as TS at ACI earlier in the season (and Halina Gordon Poltorak as TC there as well). Also, Marie Bowness was TS at Worlds 2018 and H/D had a 1.5 BV advantage over them in each program. W/P hasn't really benefited from a Canadian TS in their two most recent comps.

I think what's more relevant with regards to Weaver/Poje is that they have been working with Virtue/Moir on their TR pattern during the tour and you can really see the improvement in their RD since ACI.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Don't laugh @ me (too hard;)), but I had a dream today where Andrew had splat fall during his twizzles, like proper belly flop:laugh:. Let it be a good omen!

sworddance21

On the Ice
I must say, I am impressed by the progress Australia's top two dance teams have made this season, compared to last.
It's an all around improvement. I hope they will be able to skate well next week.

Am I reading the start lists correctly that Andrew Dodds competes BOTH mens singles and dance? That's amazing!

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Am I reading the start lists correctly that Andrew Dodds competes BOTH mens singles and dance? That's amazing!

And he was amazing last night in the SP. This much talent is not ment to exist in one man!

Status
Not open for further replies.