2019 Four Continents Pairs Free Skate | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2019 Four Continents Pairs Free Skate

rain

Record Breaker
They clearly came in here expecting to fight for bronze, so I expect that silver will be very satisfying, though obviously when you come that close to gold it can't help but be a "what if?" thing.

Yeah, you could see Kirsten was really happy to be in silver, until she saw how very, very narrowly they missed the gold. (I would have had the exact same reaction.)

Seven Sisters

Medalist
They clearly came in here expecting to fight for bronze, so I expect that silver will be very satisfying, though obviously when you come that close to gold it can't help but be a "what if?" thing.

As in, what if they hadn’t used music that might have seemed edgy in, I don’t know, 2006? Or have chosen something that suits them well? Just asking.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker

Yes, I think so too :)
It was a great opportunity to take the title though, S/H and P/J aren't likely to make such mistakes as they did this year. I look forward to seeing them at worlds!

I guess I should try and get some sleep before tuning in late to the men's FS later... I will probably have nightmares about Shoma's ankle :(

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I can see Si Briggs taking a sneaky selfie in the background... xD

GGFan

Record Breaker
Uh oh, my go-to poster for this event has several NBC copyright strikes. I don't understand since it was NOT the NBC versions posted.

They have an exclusive right to show it in the United States unfortunately. I hate these strikes however, as I don't think the videos cut into NBC's profit at all.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Great, I missed another event. This time, I was stuck in a massively long checkout line at Walmart. :palmf: At least I have time to catch up in between events.

rain

Record Breaker
Great, I missed another event. This time, I was stuck in a massively long checkout line at Walmart. :palmf: At least I have time to catch up in between events.

Skip the first flight. Absolutely nothing worth watching. Everyone was awful.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

How are you catching up if I may ask?

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Cong Han doesn't get enough credit for how amazing he is. Technique, posture, the artistry- clear and away the best male pairs skater since Radford retired. Akin to Grinkov- the girl is the star of the pair but the guy's quality makes it work.

He always stands out on his own, even when presenting Wenjing - You can't teach presence & impact of it, you have to nurture it right. Cong's strenght mixed with ease, expressiveness, confident carriage makes him a striking figure on his own right, adding Wenjing being pretty much the same level of individuality in presence they make an entire different quality in Pairs.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Ok, I'm back from the Arena and wow, what a whirlwind event!

Sui/Han's FS is something special. You know it's going to be good when the audience gives a big cheer to their breathtaking opening move only 5 seconds into the program!

The final result was honestly a nailbiter but I agree with the placements. KMT/MM were so great to see in person - so much speed and definitely more confidence. but there's something just special with S/H and their FS this season that makes it seem like there's just no choice but to reward them with gold. So much innovation is there - like the Throw straight into the death spiral on the same blade, to the extremely unique combination spin, to the dynamic step sequence. We could all tell that they weren't at their best, but even when not at their best they were the class of the field. I'm hoping that they can keep this program into the next season if they don't skate it to their full potential this season. I sense something special with it.

Finally, I love the interview that Sui/Han gave, in English! at the end of the free skate. Cong wished everyone a happy new year, the interviewer was about to dismiss them, and then Sui stopped him mid-sentence to take control of the mic and thank the audience and to wish all athletes in skating a happy and healthy year! It was so sweet to watch, I'd love if there was a video somewhere.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ok, I'm back from the Arena and wow, what a whirlwind event!

Sui/Han's FS is something special. You know it's going to be good when the audience gives a big cheer to their breathtaking opening move only 5 seconds into the program!

The final result was honestly a nailbiter but I agree with the placements. KMT/MM were so great to see in person - so much speed and definitely more confidence. but there's something just special with S/H and their FS this season that makes it seem like there's just no choice but to reward them with gold. So much innovation is there - like the Throw straight into the death spiral on the same blade, to the extremely unique combination spin, to the dynamic step sequence. We could all tell that they weren't at their best, but even when not at their best they were the class of the field. I'm hoping that they can keep this program into the next season if they don't skate it to their full potential this season. I sense something special with it.

Finally, I love the interview that Sui/Han gave, in English! at the end of the free skate. Cong wished everyone a happy new year, the interviewer was about to dismiss them, and then Sui stopped him mid-sentence to take control of the mic and thank the audience and to wish all athletes in skating a happy and healthy year! It was so sweet to watch, I'd love if there was a video somewhere.

Paul and I have rooted for them since SA Portland when Duo crashed hard into the boards right at our feet and her partner picked her up and hugged her and comforted her. Her speech was wonderful. Anyone who rips the Mic away from Rusty Capp is A number one in my book!

oly2018

Final Flight
Rusty was so annoying. He was cutting the interview short for no reason. They won the event, let them say whatever they want, however they want. Wenjing reaching for that mic was everything.

gold12345

Medalist
Sui & Han's free skate has the potential to be absolute magic at Worlds. It's possible they might not have enough good training under their belts yet, but the speed on their final lift and the high energy ending were so impressive. They missed a few levels that kept their score down. I thought the judging was a bit harder on them than the North American teams, some of whom received pretty generous scores. Moore-Towers & Marinaro skated well enough for the scores to be close, but Sui & Han were the class of the field.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Just watched Sui/Han, and oh yes this is much more like Sui/Han, I was mesmerized during the second half and the last lift was magical. It's not perfect yet (she did have a hard fall from that sal and the spins were slow), but I see a masterpiece in it as you all seem to do. They just have to recover from her injury and skate it at their usual standards. They should totally keep it for next season :pray:

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Peng/Jin. Sigh, I wanted them for silver... I love their short much more, but their free is lovely to watch as well, and their throws are just so smooth and effortless. And no one lifts like Chinese pairs (Zhang Hao is the best lifter currently competing imo), those lifts are just so confident and solid. Oh well, they can do better at Worlds.

readernick

Medalist
Sui & Han's free skate has the potential to be absolute magic at Worlds. It's possible they might not have enough good training under their belts yet, but the speed on their final lift and the high energy ending were so impressive. They missed a few levels that kept their score down. I thought the judging was a bit harder on them than the North American teams, some of whom received pretty generous scores. Moore-Towers & Marinaro skated well enough for the scores to be close, but Sui & Han were the class of the field.

No doubt Sui/ Han are the class of the field. But, the real difference is not the quality of elements.(at least today because Sui/Han are rusty) (Sui/Han have better lift but MT/M have far better SBS—- about equal in a lot of other elements today) the real difference is the quality of basic skating, performance and overall program quality. So, I don’t think the levels are wrong but no one would object to higher PCS for them.