2022 Olympics Team Event: General Info | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics Team Event: General Info

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I don't know about Pairs. The components and levels are worth so much and there is so much distance down to the lower tier teams that for the top teams they could have a disaster and they're still not finishing lower than 4th or 5th.

It's really mens and ladies where things can go off the rails in the short

Nothing can happen with Ladies, it'll probably just be Russia 10 Japan 9 and USA 8,
Maybe given a bad SP Canada (or maybe somehow China) could steal a point from the US
Valieva could score a 100 and she'll still only be one point away from (probably) Sakamoto

In Pairs you have Italy, Georgia, Germany, USA and Canada all with the capacity to score mid to high 60s
If they all perform that could really hurt the US or Japan if they have a major mistake

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It really makes sense that the only US lady to win any medals internationally this season is being left off the TE nice going USFS. Instead lets use the one US lady who hasn't won any medals at all internationally for nearly 5 years now and who has underachieved most of her career.

HeadBanger

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Nothing can happen with Ladies, it'll probably just be Russia 10 Japan 9 and USA 8,
Maybe given a bad SP Canada (or maybe somehow China) could steal a point from the US
Valieva could score a 100 and she'll still only be one point away from (probably) Sakamoto

In Pairs you have Italy, Georgia, Germany, USA and Canada all with the capacity to score mid to high 60s
If they all perform that could really hurt the US or Japan if they have a major mistake

The US ladies you watch much be a lot more consistent this year than the ones I have.

Ice is slippery, especially in the mens and ladies. No one would have picked ROC to finish 8th in the mens short in 2018 either (and an 8th where almost no one skated well to boot), but there they were. In the pairs you can't falter THAT badly unless you get lost on the way to the rink

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
The US ladies you watch much be a lot more consistent this year than the ones I have.

The US ladies I watch tend to score in the 60s with mistakes, And with a clean skate they can pass 70

Have you seen the rest of the ladies field in the team event?
Apart from Russia, Japan and Canada that is

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
In the pairs you can't falter THAT badly unless you get lost on the way to the rink

My point is that USA and Japan can score between 7-9 points in the SP (say low 70s)
But with a big mistake (say closer to 60) and good performances from the rest of the field that could easily be a 3-4 points,
That kind of point drop could mean a different medal

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I think Gubanova skating for Georgia has a decent chance of outscoring any of the US women in the team competition.

Well, she would need to be amazing but I wouldn't rule it out,
You can sub her in instead of the CHN woman in my earlier statement ;)
It's still just one point, not 5, So my point still stands.

By the way, I kinda have a feeling the Georgian team might be dark horses here
to threaten a spot in the final :eek2:

Last edited:

pearly

Record Breaker
I don't even see the Georgian team as a dark horse, but a likely fifth. I think it's gonna be a close battle between them and Canada for the fifth spot (I have China in 4th after short), but considering everyone's most recent short programs, Georgia may very well end up ahead.

Andrea82

Medalist
Deadlines for nominations

February 1, 2022 - 10:00 Final confirmation of Skaters/Couples participating (Team Leaders Meeting Team Event) in the Team Event. The confirmation includes all Skaters/Couples available for participation in the Team Event.

With respect to the “exchange possibility” within a Team the following dates and deadlines apply to confirm the names of Skaters/Couples (possibility of exchanges) who will skate for the Team in the segment in question.

February 3, 2022 - 10:00 Nomination by name of the Skaters participating in the Men Single Skating SP, Ice Dance RD and Pair Skating SP Team Event.

February 5, 2022 - 10:00 Nomination by name of the Skaters participating in the Women Single Skating SP Team Event.

For the 5 Teams qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance Team Event, the NOCs/ISU Members must declare the Men competing for Men FS Team Event immediately (latest about 10 minutes) after the conclusion of the Women SP Team Event.

February 6, 2022 - 11:00 Nomination by name of the Skaters participating in the Men Single Skating FS Team Event

February 6, 2022 – 13:45 Nomination by name of the Skaters participating in the Pair Skating FS, Ice Dance FD and Women Single Skating FS Team Event

Skaters/Couples, who suffer an injury or sickness after the deadlines mentioned above (replacement deadline and the deadline for entering the name for a segment), cannot be replaced or exchanged and their place, needs to remain empty.

They moved some deadlines yesterday. Nominations are moved to 9 pm rather than in the morning.

ucrgirl

On the Ice
Not surprising since Alysa seems to be nowhere to be found
I noticed she wasn't promoted on the Peacock figureskating page, but that could just be because she had Covid at Nationals and missed the pictures. My main hope is that the NBC hype-train (or NBC pressure cooker) backs off and lets her have the Olympics she can have rather than the Olympics of the "chosen one" or the "figureskating Simone Biles."

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
My main hope is that the NBC hype-train (or NBC pressure cooker) backs off and lets her have the Olympics she can have rather than the Olympics of the "chosen one" or the "figureskating Simone Biles."
I hope she didn't bypass the team event to shield herself from additional scrutiny before the individual competition. I can't think of another American woman who has had the same expectations at her age. Even Kwan had Bobek in 1995 and Lipinski in 1997/98 to prevent her from being seen as our only hope for world and Olympic medals.

ucrgirl

On the Ice
I hope she didn't bypass the team event to shield herself from additional scrutiny before the individual competition. I can't think of another American woman who has had the same expectations at her age. Even Kwan had Bobek in 1995 and Lipinski in 1997/98 to prevent her from being seen as our only hope for world and Olympic medals.
And it may be worse for Alyssa. Kwan/Lipinski had a shot at a win. The American media wants the next Kwan but can't figure out that there are a few other skaters with a stronger chance at a medal and that top six would be very good.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alysa doesn't seem like the kind of skater to back off just because the spotlight is on her people have been expecting big things from her since she was 12 years old. Among the top US ladies she's the most solid as a competitor with Bradie out this season.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Alysa doesn't seem like the kind of skater to back off just because the spotlight is on her people have been expecting big things from her since she was 12 years old. Among the top US ladies she's the most solid as a competitor with Bradie out this season.
I'm totally guessing here - and others have said it elsewhere - but I'm concerned that Alyssa declined the team because she is not healthy enough to skate it. Perhaps she needs an additional week to get her stamina back from a bout with COVID. And yes - I TOTALLY realize it is unfounded speculation.

pearly

Record Breaker
I'd think the USFS decided to give someone else a chance based on Alysa's recent behavior (IG lives from which it was obvious stuff was going on that may have made choosing her seem like a gamble).

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I personally think China and Canada will battle for that 5th spot. In my books I have Russia, USA, Italy and Japan pretty solid in the top 4. Canada and China can battle for that 5th spot.. OR Canada shocks us and places higher and has Georgia push for a spot to beat China or vise versa.

As for Keegan.. 3 members of Team Canada are in Covid Protocol as of right now. I would take the assumption he is one of them. Keegan doesn NEED to be ready for the team event. Roman could do both programs. I feel like if Keegan was not able to compete at all, Canada would of announced an alternate by this point.