2022 Skate America Free Dance | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate America Free Dance

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
I was a little surprised about C/B's program. The skating itself was great as expected, but it looked like they lost everything on the journey to Norwood and had to borrow the music from someone and then the dresses from someone else who doesn't skate to the music either. These three things didn't quite add up for me. H/B should be the deserved winners.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
After the RD 3rd-5th place were really really close in points, so I expected there might be a shuffle and indeed there was. KanaDai got hit pretty hard though, and the audience was NOT happy about it.
i didn't expect Locia and Theo to rise this fast, i'm happy about it, you know i love them, i also didn't expect Soucisse/Firus and McNamara/spiridionov to do this poorly

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
i didn't expect Locia and Theo to rise this fast, i'm happy about it, you know i love them, i also didn't expect Soucisse/Firus and McNamara/spiridionov to do this poorly
On the one hand, I'm kicking myself for not putting Loicia and Theo in my predictions instead of McNamara/Spiridonov. On the other hand, I'm incredibly sad that KanaDai got bumped out of top five altogether and I wouldn't have wanted to be right about that :(

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know what I think. Subtle is the hardest style to do and the least rewarded in skating. We have two teams that did it back to back. Both Kaitlyn & Jean-Luc and Madi & Evan dragged every note out of their music. A requiem has sort of a built in theme where as I don't know what the theme for Madi & Evan was and that's where they lost me aside from some persistent and unusual twizzle issues for Evan ( injury, new boots or neither). They went for haunting, and spiritual I think and it is a bit murky thematically. On their podcast (yes it is back) they talk about a timeless love that echoes through a time and place. Too much explanation.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
C&B won on reputation. I have nothing against them. They have been one of my favs. And while one might argue Madison has the edge on Kaitlyn (and no longer that wide if wide at all), Evan is not in the same league as Jean Luc and that has to count for something.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh definitely agreed. I actually didn't like their Egyptian Snake Dance program the first time I saw it either! In general it's rare for me to love a program right out the gate, it usually needs a couple outings to really gel unless the skater + music choice is just that good. So I'm always open to changing my mind... unless it's a cutesy mime program with voice overs in which case kill it with fire and start over from scratch 😆
I never liked it. Way too much standing around and posing.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A close finish is always good for getting the competitive juices going again. We will see what happens next. I'll have to rewatch the earlier couples earlie. I needed the sleep as I am fighting off a head cold.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Alas, I told you. This is far from the first time it has happened. I just accept it going in now. C/B will get 1st. H/B will get 2nd. What they do on the ice does not matter.
I fear you are correct. I do think it is exciting that H/B won the free. I loved that dance for them so much. They are just mesmerizing. I have only watched a little of C/B - I'm not in a position to watch until later - but I just think Kaitlyn and Jean-Luc are so real and honest when they skate. They take my breath away.

rain

Record Breaker
Love that Hawayek and Baker won the free, at least, though I would have had them winning overall, since I thought their RD was also better. But it's refreshing to see the judges actually go with what was skated on the ice on the day. I really like H/B's program this year (while I found Chock/Bates's a tad dull), but I think I loved last year's just a smidge more. It's very subtle, however, and it may grow on me as the season goes. This kind of program often does. Takes me a few watches to get all the subtle touches, and when I do I'm in love.

For my money though, my favourite program of the afternoon was Lauriault/Le Gac. LOVED the pink panther for them. The choreography is so clever, sophisticated and fun at the same time. The theme is taken throughout, through each lift and spin. I thought the caller was needlessly harsh, but what can you do. Dare I say it, this was the program I hoped Piper and Paul would do this season — out of the box and quirky.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Don't know if they are sour grapes, but grapes from Beatrice nonetheless.
The sign of utter weirdness is when I like something I usually tend to despise out of bunch. And it happened today, those who know, know.

About 1st and 2nd...I have weird dilemma. On one side, seemingly effortless performance, with focus on the move and how it travels the music, to however quite static/ascetic/simplistic creation of a program overall. On the other, not that effortless, labored in places performance to a creation that I can't click as fitting to the pair. One team bested out the vehicle by their skating while the other got swallowed by theirs despite efforts (ofc my subjective opinion).

I already saw both teams skating better, to MUCH better vehicles. Do I think this year's FD is a downgrade from Chopin FD last year? Yes, pretty much. But as long as it's their story to tell this year, my opinion doesn't matter.
I'm curious about how both Chock/Bates program will change (if???) in Sapporo.

Lastly, Marina clearly didn't lose her touch snd penchant for effective theatrical flair. POTO is my most loathed warhorse, yet she had me invested during those 4 minutes. Kana's expressiveness I mesmerising.

slider11

Medalist
Evan looks "done" to me. I don't see the spark or personal drive - other than to be Madi's partner. I guess that's a good reason if you can pull it off. But I found their program forgettable. They've had multiple National championships and world podium finishes. I don't see anything new to give. But some seem intrigued by them so perhaps this will lead to the World title they/she seem to so badly desire.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One final thought on C/B free - they got engaged while on a vacation to Thailand. I think that trip inspired this free dance - problem is they never came home mentally and are still on that beach. Keep this number if you love it that much for a goodbye exhibition as you fade into the sunset. Time to get to work and figure out what you still want out of your competitive career and work hard for it. I want my fierce Madi and her loyal consort Evan back...
1666554162152.png

Last edited: