2023 Grand Prix de France Rhythm Dance | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2023 Grand Prix de France Rhythm Dance

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
all the top teams are just getting thrown points at them regardless
it must be mentally incredibly tough to be an ice dancer and not be rewarded for what you deliver while your rivals...
yup... so tough... as a Canadian fan, aside from Virtue-Moir, it's been tough to see the long road to the top our teams have to go through... when they got there... Bourne and Kraatz, Dubreuil-Lauzon, Weaver-Poje, Piper and Paul now... they waited and waited and some are still waiting.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I feel bad for Laurence and Nikolaj. With these results, I don't see them placing in the top three at Worlds this year unless mistakes are made with the top three. They have a good chance of beating Lila and Lewis and finishing 4th overall.
that's the feeling i get too but the season is young. I still want two canadian teams on this worlds podium ;)

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel bad for Laurence and Nikolaj. With these results, I don't see them placing in the top three at Worlds this year unless mistakes are made with the top three. They have a good chance of beating Lila and Lewis and finishing 4th overall.
For where they are now thats what I see - but things can change. We will see. It needs something to throw it over the top and say wow.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The first time I ever really watched Charlene and Marco. My opinion hasn't changed, I don't know why I don't feel any passion when I watch them, just excellent technicians.

I do unironically love the catsuit.

And what's with those music cuts. and covers or whatever they did to those songs? That is NOT the Phil Collins' 80's version of that song.
The first version was a lot worse. This is an improvement even though it repeats a lot.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A few words of a different perspective on Christina Carriera and Anthony Pomonorenko.

First of all, someone gave Scott Moir credit for Christina's improving so much. Nope. I've seen Madison Hubbell working with her, and I think Madi has a talent similar to Marie F-D.... she has the power of bringing out the strengths, particularly in her female skaters. Well done, Christina! You have beautiful smiles and beautiful skating.

Is is really any wonder that Anthony needs some time to catch up again skillswise? After all he went through the past couple of years with injury, and he kept training and competing. I'm looking forward to their journey. It may turn out to be good timing. The journey is one of the valuable aspects of figure skating/ID.

On this particular RD, I realize that Anthony's characterization is in contrast with Christina's, which is likely intentional, but I still don't like it. It makes him look more desperate, and IMHO that's not what this team needs.

On another note, I really enjoyed the French skaters Marie Dupayage and Thomas Nabais. They showed the joy, character, and performance ability that make figure skating so enjoyable to me. I've often found one earlier couple/skater who exemplify the fun and the joy of skating. I often find the later ice dancers, in particular, too frenetic and sort of almost militaristic in their precision, in contrast. this is another thing I've always loved -- her joy -- about Christina Carriera, since she was 15! and she blogged from a very early trip to Europe. Her skating shows that same quality.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
First of all, someone gave Scott Moir credit for Christina's improving so much. Nope. I've seen Madison Hubbell working with her, and I think Madi has a talent similar to Marie F-D.... she has the power of bringing out the strengths, particularly in her female skaters. Well done, Christina! You have beautiful smiles and beautiful skating.
yes this Madi H should get the credit.

I really enjoyed the French skaters Marie Dupayage and Thomas Nabais. They showed the joy, character, and performance ability that make figure skating so enjoyable to me
I have always liked them too. There are also so in synch performance wise as well.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Charlene and Marco are the best skaters at the moment. Best technicians, best pushing, down in their knees, strong over their edges. Much faster than most other teams (but still smooth and controlled.) Great lifts. I love that they're winning and hope for them to take worlds.

That being said, I see where people come through r.e. expression and interpretation. I think it's hard with the height difference being negligable to have same impact as a team like piper and Paul. For me it works due to the level of skating and quality of elements, but I can see some areas that can be improved with expression and projection. Still, for two skaters around 5'1"/5'2", they fill the ice and feel a lot bigger because of their power and presence.

Edit: Fb/S are another team I view as up with the top in terms of SS. I feel she is stronger than him with skating skills. They are great performers and also enjoy them doing well. Last year should have made worlds podium imo (I'd have had G/F, FB/S in 1st and 2nd either order, then piper paul 3rd last year at worlds).

Edit 2: Agree R.E music cuts.
although I know some people don't think it was good enough for those marks, I have to compare to the skaters recieving similar marks at other GP's, as I feel there is very good justification.

Firstly, their PCS was only a tad higher than Fear/Gibson at Skate Canada, and in my experience watching both Charlene and Marco should be very much ahead (I really love Fear/Gibson when watching on youtube, but in person they are much slower than Charlene and Marco, and don't get down in their knees or have as much lean over their edges (although they are very precise in movements and do lots of other things well). Often Charlene and Marco look much better in person than on video, I think their flow and softness doesn't translate as well to the camera.

They got lower PCS than Piper and Paul, and I get that due to the great musicality Piper and Paul have, and the outward projection that G/F somewhat lack. However, the skating skills for G/F imo should be higher (having watched both in person before, and noticing big issues with Piper and Pauls speed, but not having seen Piper and Pauls new programs). I do want to point out that Piper and Paul have the best 80s choreography for me, and bring good softness to their skating.

In Skate America, Chock/Bates only got tad lower than G/F in PCS. and I get the performance being high, but skating skills wise if you look at the pushing technique again G/F should be significantly higher there. + Speed across the ice looks to be significantly better (although I can't judge fully as I've never seen Chock/Bates in person). And composition wise, yes there are issues with G/F's program (particularly music cuts), and it's not to everybody's taste but for me I'd like to note Chock/Bates have moonwalking in a queen program.

As every GP is different scoring, I concede these points may not be very valid. But I can't think of many skaters able to challenge them in SS department and technique right now.

Last edited:

viennaskater

Medalist
If I put on a beret, laid out my table with baguettes and brie, put on Edith Piaf, and changed my Zoom background to the Eiffel Tower, I would still only be 5% as French as this French team's rhythm dance.
Hardly 80s theme though. Didn't like it at all.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Charlene and Marco are the best skaters at the moment. Best technicians, best pushing, down in their knees, strong over their edges. Much faster than most other teams (but still smooth and controlled.) Great lifts. I love that they're winning and hope for them to take worlds.

That being said, I see where people come through r.e. expression and interpretation. I think it's hard with the height difference being negligable to have same impact as a team like piper and Paul. For me it works due to the level of skating and quality of elements, but I can see some areas that can be improved with expression and projection. Still, for two skaters around 5'1"/5'2", they fill the ice and feel a lot bigger because of their power and presence.

Edit: Fb/S are another team I view as up with the top in terms of SS. I feel she is stronger than him with skating skills. They are great performers and also enjoy them doing well. Last year should have made worlds podium imo (I'd have had G/F, FB/S in 1st and 2nd either order, then piper paul 3rd last year at worlds).

Edit 2: Agree R.E music cuts.
although I know some people don't think it was good enough for those marks, I have to compare to the skaters recieving similar marks at other GP's, as I feel there is very good justification.

Firstly, their PCS was only a tad higher than Fear/Gibson at Skate Canada, and in my experience watching both Charlene and Marco should be very much ahead (I really love Fear/Gibson when watching on youtube, but in person they are much slower than Charlene and Marco, and don't get down in their knees or have as much lean over their edges (although they are very precise in movements and do lots of other things well). Often Charlene and Marco look much better in person than on video, I think their flow and softness doesn't translate as well to the camera.

They got lower PCS than Piper and Paul, and I get that due to the great musicality Piper and Paul have, and the outward projection that G/F somewhat lack. However, the skating skills for G/F imo should be higher (having watched both in person before, and noticing big issues with Piper and Pauls speed, but not having seen Piper and Pauls new programs). I do want to point out that Piper and Paul have the best 80s choreography for me, and bring good softness to their skating.

In Skate America, Chock/Bates only got tad lower than G/F in PCS. and I get the performance being high, but skating skills wise if you look at the pushing technique again G/F should be significantly higher there. + Speed across the ice looks to be significantly better (although I can't judge fully as I've never seen Chock/Bates in person). And composition wise, yes there are issues with G/F's program (particularly music cuts), and it's not to everybody's taste but for me I'd like to note Chock/Bates have moonwalking in a queen program.

As every GP is different scoring, I concede these points may not be very valid. But I can't think of many skaters able to challenge them in SS department and technique right now.
You know I respect your opinion and we most times agree, but I do have a few points here I do not agree with.