2023 Grand Prix de France Rhythm Dance | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2023 Grand Prix de France Rhythm Dance

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
First of all, someone gave Scott Moir credit for Christina's improving so much. Nope. I've seen Madison Hubbell working with her, and I think Madi has a talent similar to Marie F-D.... she has the power of bringing out the strengths, particularly in her female skaters.
Why not credit both? Scott and Madi both coach them, it's hard to separate out their influences (and they're one coaching team anyway). As skaters, both were known for their skating skills and performance.

I like C/P the most of the young American teams. They're looking particularly strong this year, but it hasn't come out of the blue - they've been steadily improving since moving to London. This season I think they finally have two good programmes though, especially the free dance (some previous ones have kind of missed the mark for me).

rain

Record Breaker
Some thoughts after watching the rhythm dances:

Dupayage/Nabais are future stars. This team is going places. Original choreography with nice highlights, good presentation. The black costumes were a little boring. Overall, my favourite of the French teams.

Lim and Quan are always fun. Also future stars, I think. Can't blame them for representing Korea rather than Canada, with how packed the Canadian dance field is. I feel the same about Soucisse/Firus. These teams will get way more international assignments, including probably worlds, whereas they'd be sitting at home if representing Canada right now.

Smart/Dieck are coming along. Much better twizzles. Still a pretty basic program as they gel.

Lauriault/LeGac are so fun. Still I'd say definitely fourth of the top Canadian teams.

Lopareva/Brissaud: this was a better performance than at Skate America where the arm work was noticeably more sloppy.

Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen: This was my favourite program of the night, though that was a lot of music cuts. I thought this would be closer to the Italians, as many have already stated.

This was my first look at Guignard/Fabri, and this dance is yet another miss for me, from them. I just cannot get into their material. The costumes are hideous, like the worst of the 80s. Odd music cuts. Horrible chop job on the Phil Collins, like truly horrible. I really disliked his bit kneeling on the ice, it was cringe. They're always good technicians, so I'm not that surprised by the score, but for me, artistically, this was not it.

Last edited:

discodisco

On the Ice
Some thoughts after watching the rhythm dances:

Dupayage/Nabais are future stars. This team is going places. Original choreography with nice highlights, good presentation. The black costumes were a little boring. Overall, my favourite of the French teams.

Lim and Quan are always fun. Also future stars, I think. Can't blame them for representing Korea rather than Canada, with how packed the Canadian dance field is. I feel the same about Soucisse/Firus. These teams will get way more international assignments, including probably worlds, whereas they'd be sitting at home if representing Canada right now.

Smart/Dieck are coming along. Much better twizzles. Still a pretty basic program as they gel.

Lauriault/LeGac are so fun. Still I'd say definitely fourth of the top Canadian teams.

Lopareva/Brissaud: this was a better performance than at Skate America where the arm work was noticeably more sloppy.

Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen: This was my favourite program of the night, though that was a lot of music cuts. I thought this would be closer to the Italians, as many have already stated.

This was my first look at Guinard/Fabri, and this dance is yet another miss for me, from them. I just cannot get into their material. The costumes are hideous, like the worst of the 80s. Odd music cuts. Horrible chop job on the Phil Collins, like truly horrible. I really disliked his bit kneeling on the ice, it was cringe. They're always good technicians, so I'm not that surprised by the score, but for me, artistically, this was not it.
I typically find the Canadians never quite hit the mark for me. But I was totally into this program. Nick did a great job of being expressive I think. I would love for Paul Tory to take a little bit of Nick's expression into his programs. I think that's where PNP are lacking a tiny bit this season. Just need Paul to project a bit more. Obviously Nick's not quite the same level as Laurence

discodisco

On the Ice
I meant to add that while Nick maybe doesn't have the skating skills of neurons comparatively, I thought he looks great in this program. Definitely a lot tighter than he normally is.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why not credit both? Scott and Madi both coach them, it's hard to separate out their influences (and they're one coaching team anyway). As skaters, both were known for their skating skills and performance.

I said why I think Madison H. is the stronger influence. It's my opinion

I like C/P the most of the young American teams. They're looking particularly strong this year, but it hasn't come out of the blue - they've been steadily improving since moving to London. This season I think they finally have two good programmes though, especially the free dance (some previous ones have kind of missed the mark for me).
:)

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I said why I think Madison H. is the stronger influence. It's my opinion

:)
In interviews I think she said something about getting to skate with Scott a lot. I think Madi probably had huge influence with skating technique but skating with Scott (I.e. in holds etc) probably helped her improve the level.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
I have not watched many ice dance comps since 2018 (and even then it was usually just the last group or so). So as the break was too short to go out (there's not much of interest around the rink here at Angers), I stayed and sort if watched it.

My impressions were not very positive. Lots of incompregensible music choices, weird and clunky music cuts, no vision of what the program should look like. Having super fast music for your steps makes you only look slow and unenergetic. Considering that this was the rhythm dance, there were surpringly few moments where rhythm seemed to play a part in the choreo.

Most of the programs looked like there were people skating on the ice and music playing at the rink. They came together sometimes, usually when the music started and stopped.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
You know I respect your opinion and we most times agree, but I do have a few points here I do not agree with.
I guess a lot of ice dance is stylistic choice (both in technique and choreography), so I don't expect everybody to have the exact same views in this sport. I honestly just wish there was pattern dances, as that would be the ultimate comparison between quality of teams skating.

Personally, I think ice dance was better 2018 and before that, I think the new rules are very gimmicky in the RD, and also have to many "forced gimmicks" in the free dances (i.e. in selection of choreo elements - before it was a little less defined so felt like more variety and skating within programs). I much preffered Gabby and Giume Pre-2019 to Gabby and Giume 2022 for example, and same for most of the teams (except the ones that improved a lot during that period).

I also miss the very old ice dance, I don't watch older Free skating programs that much, as I do think free skating today is much more positive than free skating 20years ago. But in many ways, older ice dance just feels fantastic to watch, and I don't think it will ever be as exciting in some ways (I.e. 2008 and before). Due to the rules of the sport rather than the skaters of course, I am huge Tessa and Scott fan.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Hardly 80s theme though. Didn't like it at all.

Way more 80s than most of the programs. :)
Mylène Farmer is one of the most popular French singers of the 80s (from her wiki: "Having sold more than 30 million records worldwide, she is among the most successful recording artists of all time in France. She holds the record for the most number one hit singles in the French charts, with twenty-one to date" ) and Sans Contrefacon and everything around it like the video and style is pretty iconic.
And I can see why Lopareva, even if she's not French, can relate to the "fragile tomboy" style with the short red hair.

MyleneFarmer.com-Sans-Contrefacon-37.jpg

653b0e57914c5.image.jpg

The other song they use is Tristana, and in this wiki article you can read about the connection Farmer drew to Anna Karenina/Russia ((even if she counts Ukraine as Russia, but okay, those were the 80s)):
You can also see the Russian connection in the video and since there are many Russian comments under the video I wonder if it gained some popularity in Russia.
Both songs are from 1987. I think musically, even if you don't know the songs, the melancholic synthpop style is very 80s.

I think they chose very well and careful and honestly I am a bit sad that a choice like that, which is less generic and still not suuuper out of the box since it was a very popular and mainstream and part of pop culture is not perceived well by many who don't "get it".
It makes it more logical for other skaters to choose the millionth Michael Jackson program with generic Michael Jackson outfit and moonwalk where people go crazy because they recognize it.

It would be cool if at least commentators gave some background to choices like this. I feel they hardly ever commentate on music (except for "I've always liked this piece" or something like that), but maybe it would help at least a little bit.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm sad the French time zone is so terrible for me! I can't believe I didn't get to cheer on Olivia and Tim with an E live.

Catching up on them now, though.

DancingCactus

Final Flight
I've only managed to catch up now and I'm mostly not impressed, sorry. I love the 80s but I'm really wondering why so many teams seem to miss the mark or use the most boring music they can find. And then they chose outfits that don't fit the music and use a vhoreo test doesn't fit the outfits and whatever.

Why on earth would you wear a red catsuit to an INXS medley unless you take one song absolutely too literally :palmf:

C/P are a mystery to me. Why do their movements look like they could fit into a 20s Jazz bar, in an 80s program? Apart from their ugly signature lift, I don't remember anything.

The French were French. Actually I think they have been leaning too much into that in the last seasons.

FBS. Ok, so he is the hottest. And taller than Tom Cruise. Top Gun has been one of my favourite guilty pleasure movies forever and I love the music. I think they should have picked two songs and stuck to them instead of 4-5, it would have been more impactful, because they can be so powerful and dynamic. This felt too pieced together. Pity.

G/F still don't do anything for me. The costumes are truly hideous, the less said about her makeup the better and that v-neck doesn't do him any favours. I just can't seem to connect to them. She does not project that she's holding out for a hero at all. Their tech is good, but the rest is just meh for me.

I much preferred last week's RDs.

viennaskater

Medalist
I am with you there. I fell in love with their FD when they performed at Nepela Memorial 2022. I was appalled that they were not marked high enough to qualify for the free at Worlds Saitama, especially when I saw several couples who qualified with not very good FDs. They are my favourite French team. I don't get why Lopareva and partner are so highly rated, they do nothing for me.
This was my first look at Guignard/Fabri, and this dance is yet another miss for me, from them. I just cannot get into their material. The costumes are hideous, like the worst of the 80s. Odd music cuts. Horrible chop job on the Phil Collins, like truly horrible. I really disliked his bit kneeling on the ice, it was cringe. They're always good technicians, so I'm not that surprised by the score, but for me, artistically, this was not it.
Sadly I have to agree. I say 'sadly' because I was SO impressed with this couple last season, and, to me, they are still looking sharp, but the above points on the RD let them down. This is a team which didn't always impress me but my opinion during last season went right up.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I meant to add that while Nick maybe doesn't have the skating skills of neurons comparatively, I thought he looks great in this program. Definitely a lot tighter than he normally is.
Together they carried good speed and flow, I don't think Nick is her level, but her level is the very top level. I think it's only sections with rapidity that expose the difference between the two (i.e. coordinating the pre-bend, push and draw). When he takes his time, he 100% looks the part. I could have seen them scoring higher (vs some couples at previous events). Here they got 1point deduction for extended lift, and lower levels than G/F. If they tidy turn technique and extended lift, they will be punching about the same level. Of course with ice dance scoring, they'll struggle to get podium at worlds, but they 100% deserve to be up there with this program.

peepsquick

Final Flight
Way more 80s than most of the programs. :)
Mylène Farmer is one of the most popular French singers of the 80s (from her wiki: "Having sold more than 30 million records worldwide, she is among the most successful recording artists of all time in France. She holds the record for the most number one hit singles in the French charts, with twenty-one to date" ) and Sans Contrefacon and everything around it like the video and style is pretty iconic.
And I can see why Lopareva, even if she's not French, can relate to the "fragile tomboy" style with the short red hair.

MyleneFarmer.com-Sans-Contrefacon-37.jpg

653b0e57914c5.image.jpg

The other song they use is Tristana, and in this wiki article you can read about the connection Farmer drew to Anna Karenina/Russia ((even if she counts Ukraine as Russia, but okay, those were the 80s)):
You can also see the Russian connection in the video and since there are many Russian comments under the video I wonder if it gained some popularity in Russia.
Both songs are from 1987. I think musically, even if you don't know the songs, the melancholic synthpop style is very 80s.

I think they chose very well and careful and honestly I am a bit sad that a choice like that, which is less generic and still not suuuper out of the box since it was a very popular and mainstream and part of pop culture is not perceived well by many who don't "get it".
It makes it more logical for other skaters to choose the millionth Michael Jackson program with generic Michael Jackson outfit and moonwalk where people go crazy because they recognize it.

It would be cool if at least commentators gave some background to choices like this. I feel they hardly ever commentate on music (except for "I've always liked this piece" or something like that), but maybe it would help at least a little bit.
Absolutely agree with you here! The commentators should have a look at the music choices and explain the background to the viewers.
Fun facts: Mylène was born in Québec and spend the first 11 years of her life there.