2202 JGP Czech Skate Pairs SP | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2202 JGP Czech Skate Pairs SP

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Sophia and Daniel were defiantly the best so far I enjoyed them very much but this team has the same problem as the Japanese one, this is Sophias 1st junior eligible season and she wont be senior eligible till 26-27 season, while this is Daniels last junior eligible.
Is that largely b/c of the newly instituted rules!? Sonia is 13 now, so under existing rules, she'd be senior eligible for the 2024 - 2025 season, right? Now, they have to wait an additional two years. I knew the recent rules changes on age restrictions would end up unfairly hurting the careers of some skaters. Eligibility should be based on factors beyond chronological age, IMO.

Well, here's hoping that Sonia/Daniel clean-up this season on the junior circuit, since it will be their first and last. Over the next four seasons, I hope they stay together and find ways to be motivated, despite being restricted to domestic competitions only (and possibly local shows). I hope they will be interviewed regarding their strategic approach to having to wait so long for senior competition the season after the next Olympics.

Why is she 'Sophia' internationally, and 'Sonia' domestically?

Last edited:

yesterday

Record Breaker
Is that largely b/c of the newly instituted rules!? Sonia is 13 now, so under existing rules, she'd be senior eligible for the 2024 - 2025 season, right? Now, they have to wait an additional two years. I knew the recent rules changes on age restrictions would end up unfairly hurting the careers of some skaters. Eligibility should be based on factors beyond chronological age, IMO.

Well, here's hoping that Sonia/Daniel clean-up this season on the junior circuit, since it will be their first and last. Over the next four seasons, I hope they stay together and find ways to be motivated, despite being restricted to domestic competitions only (and possibly local shows). I hope they will be interviewed regarding their strategic approach to having to wait so long for senior competition the season after the next Olympics.

Why is she 'Sophia' internationally, and 'Sonia' domestically?

The "problem" here is imho not the age restriction but their "individual ages put together". The restrictions won't hurt couples that are closer in terms of age I guess?

Sonia/Sonja is often used as nickname for Sofia/Sophia in eastern European countries, could be the same in other regions as well.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The "problem" here is imho not the age restriction but their "individual ages put together". The restrictions won't hurt couples that are closer in terms of age I guess?

Sonia/Sonja is often used as nickname for Sofia/Sophia in eastern European countries, could be the same in other regions as well.
Well, I think the age gap between Daniel and Sonia actually demonstrates that so much emphasis on age restrictions should not be the focus. Despite the age gap, these two are so good together. It is the age restrictions in the rules that will hamper their ability to develop competitively on an international level. He can't compete in juniors internationally after this season, and she will be kept from competing in seniors internationally for another 2 1/2 years due to recent rules changes, which only happened due to politics, doping scandal, and negative public spotlight on the sport. Nothing to do with two young skaters on-the-rise, but they are adversely impacted.

Bottom line is that Baram/ Tioutmentsev's abilities as a team trump any age difference between them. This points out to me that their forward progress should be based on their talent, their personal maturity and character, how well adjusted they are individually and as a team, etc. Such assessments and measurements cannot always be determined on the basis of chronological age.

I wonder what they, their coaches and their parents think about this situation, and how they are prepared to handle it? The next Olympics will be over before they can compete on the senior circuit internationally. How will they manage to continue improving and growing together? I hope they don't split up. 🤞

yesterday

Record Breaker
Well, I think the age gap between Daniel and Sonia actually demonstrates that so much emphasis on age restrictions should not be the focus. Despite the age gap, these two are so good together. It is the age restrictions in the rules that will hamper their ability to develop competitively on an international level. He can't compete in juniors internationally after this season, and she will be kept from competing in seniors internationally for another 2 1/2 years due to recent rules changes, which only happened due to politics, doping scandal, and negative public spotlight on the sport. Nothing to do with two young skaters on-the-rise, but they are adversely impacted.

Bottom line is that Baram/ Tioutmentsev's abilities as a team trump any age difference between them. This points out to me that their forward progress should be based on their talent, their personal maturity and character, how well adjusted they are individually and as a team, etc. Such assessments and measurements cannot always be determined on the basis of chronological age.

I wonder what they, their coaches and their parents think about this situation, and how they are prepared to handle it? The next Olympics will be over before they can compete on the senior circuit internationally. How will they manage to continue improving and growing together? I hope they don't split up. 🤞

Well, the focus is not there if they start together at e.g. 17 and 24 or something.
It's not like athletes should not have that gap their whole career, it's just not ideal at the junior stage and younger. And that's not only because of the age rules. I don't want adults, fully developed, to skate with kids, not-even-puberty juveniles.

So I believe that it's better for those couples to have a less bigger age gap, on so many more levels. Hanging out, sharing hobbies, bonding,... esp. if they want to enjoy a longer career together, this could be fundamental.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don't want adults, fully developed, to skate with kids, not-even-puberty juveniles... So I believe that it's better for those couples to have a less bigger age gap...
You don't get to decide any of this! FYI: a 21-year-old is NOT a fully developed adult. They are considered to be and labeled as adults, but in fact, they are still growing physically and mentally. Sonia and Daniel both began skating around toddler stages. They are both very gifted. Daniel would of course be more mature in his perceptions and in his outlook, than Sonia at this point, but that still doesn't make him a fully developed adult. Most pairs partners would have different interests, no matter their individual ages. It is their mutual goals in skating and their physical compatibility which brings them together.

Sonia is clearly very precocious in her musicality and expressiveness at an early stage. As long as she's motivated and engaged with wanting to compete and to improve, with no pressure from parents or coaches, that's good. As Tarah Kayne said in her recent interview with Polina Edmunds, trust is a crucial factor in developing a pairs partnership. It appears that Sonia and Daniel share a lot of trust and camaraderie. They are fortunate in being coached by Meno/ Sand & Co, at one of the top pairs camps in the world. Todd and Jenni are known for caring about their young students, as people first and foremost. So they foster a balanced training atmosphere in which emotional and mental well-being is of the highest priority.

In age-gap young partnerships, it is up to the parents and the coaches to monitor, to chaperone, and to ensure positive and safe interactions between young athletes. Plus, that goes for athletes of any age, whether in their teens and early 20s, or all the way through mid-to-late 20s and early 30s. But it is especially crucial for parents and coaches to pay attention to the emotional and social trajectories of young athletes.

Fans can clamor and police on the sidelines all they want. None of us get to decide who skates with who, when, for how long, or anything else pertaining to skaters' career decisions.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
But you do. Okay.
Obviously, none of us fans get to decide what choices skaters, and their parents and coaches make. You can have your opinion and your particular preference regarding the ages of pairs partners, but you would only have control over it if your own child was involved in the sport. You can express your opinions to local skating clubs in your area, and to U.S. fed if you're that concerned.

Meanwhile, there are two additional so-called 'age-gap' teams who come immediately to my mind: Gordeeva/ Grinkov, number one. She was 13 and he was 17 when they won junior Worlds; they were 14 and 18 when they won their first senior World championship. And they continued on to have an iconic career together. You can disagree with them being partnered, but there's no way to deny how successful they were and how important and influential their partnership was to pairs skating.

Number two: Green/Parsons. I recall how vociferously some fans complained when they paired together after their respective siblings retired. A knee-jerk brouhaha that was overdone, unnecessary and disrespectful to both ice dancers, their coaches and their parents, but especially insulting to Michael Parsons. Why should they have been prevented from pairing? They are obviously well-suited and very successful. The same is true for Baram/Tioutmentsev.

Sure there can be problems with any pairing, especially when it involves young teenagers. But there's no need to over-police or disapprove of every pairing that involves an age gap between the partners. Every athlete is an individual, with different perceptions, personalities, motivations, level of maturity and variant skill-sets, not always based on chronological age.

balabam

🥕🥕🌵🌵😈😀
Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia
oh nice, you're here, take you reindeers and come to Italy (we're watching ice dance at Lombardia trophy, girls will start in about 40 minutes)
news has arrived here at the North Pole that you have very high-quality stream transmissions in Italy 😀 So we are very excited. Particularly, reindeers are excited for ice dance and me for girls :ROFLMAO: