Alina Zagitova announces break from figure skating competition | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Alina Zagitova announces break from figure skating competition

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Wow. I suppose everyone has a right to their own opinion. I can understand the argument that Alina needs more personalized attention at this point in her career, when the biggest problem is maintaining motivation to train hard and win titles that you've already won. But Eteri is right that she has raised champions from childhood, and I don't think any coach has led more women to Olympic, World, and Junior World medals than she has.

Wow. I suppose everyone has a right to their own opinion. I can understand the argument that Alina needs more personalized attention at this point in her career, when the biggest problem is maintaining motivation to train hard and win titles that you've already won. But Eteri is right that she has raised champions from childhood, and I don't think any coach has led more women to Olympic, World, and Junior World medals than she has.

I might be misinformed but I have seen many interviews that all these athletes, except Evgenia, joined Eteri's group after mastering one or more kinds of triple jumps in other groups. As far as I know, Evgenia was the only skater that had worked with Eteri since childhood.

Midian

Rinkside
Plushenko: "After all, everyone knows that Team Tutberidze takes only prepared children with triple jumps. Of course, you have no equal in luring."
:reye: I thought she made them from zero to hero :scratch3:

pearly

Record Breaker
Plushenko: "After all, everyone knows that Team Tutberidze takes only prepared children with triple jumps. Of course, you have no equal in luring."

In post-2018 Russian ladies figure skating, a regular girl with most/all triples is a zero. They come dime a dozen.

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice

That's simply not true. Even Alina had only doubles + 3S (Mishin refused to take her). Evgenia was with her for 10-11 years, so how advanced was she when she was 7? :) Don't know details about the others, but everyone has shown tremendous improvement. Aliona was lower than 20th place at Rusnats before moving to Eteri, etc.

lzxnl

Final Flight
I don’t understand why people are making a fuss about Alina taking a break. She’s not the only skater who did it. In her curent state, she’s mentally and physically exhausted. She couldn’t cope with Eteri’s regime anymore and needs a break. Making shows is a means for her to keep her body in shape, earning her own money without giving 30% each time to her coaches and to enjoy without struggling with competition.

Once she wants to compete again, she will do the necessary to do her best.

Yeah she doesn't have to give 30% anymore...because she gives 40%. I feel she still has to pay her coaches for shows too.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
More shade than an entire season of RuPaul's Drag Race!

Russian figure skating never fails to be even more entertaining OFF the ice than it does ON it.

:drama:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I might be misinformed but I have seen many interviews that all these athletes, except Evgenia, joined Eteri's group after mastering one or more kinds of triple jumps in other groups. As far as I know, Evgenia was the only skater that had worked with Eteri since childhood.

I could be wrong, but I believe Anna had only doubles.

ruga

Final Flight
Well, most kids learn triple jumps at the age of 9-12, so I don't really expect a top coach to take students younger than that.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All the tea spilled aside, before this I did not know that Eteri is more of a manager than a coach to her girls. She takes 40% of Alina's earnings from tours and sponsorship deals, according to TSL. When you take that into consideration there a quite a bit money is involved, it makes sense. Her Louis Vuitton coats don't come from nowhere, lol.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
All the tea spilled aside, before this I did not know that Eteri is more of a manager than a coach to her girls. She takes 40% of Alina's earnings from tours and sponsorship deals, according to TSL. When you take that into consideration there a quite a bit money is involved, it makes sense. Her Louis Vuitton coats don't come from nowhere, lol.

Whatever Khrystalny takes on athletes earnings, it is not money to line Eteri Tutberidze's pockets. She may be better paid than the usual Russian teacher (­± USD 300), have a reserved, cheap accommodation, but certainly doesn't earn a tenth of what great Western coaches do. She has been wearing the same coat for years, and it is only a few years since she can afford hair colouring.
Meanwhile, Alina Zagitova could buy herself an apartment (probably near the skating ring, they are nowhere as expensive as in Moscow centre, yet they are not cheap and hers looks rather large (she has her mother and sister with her, plus the dogs and the cat) and well decorated). Which is amply deserved, of course.

And Khrystalny is building a new rink, I bet they need money, even if State or Moscow paid a good deal of it. Is it wrong? I don't think so.

pearly

Record Breaker
While the coaches are at each others throats, Alina is posting pics of herself and her dogs in front of a Christmas tree. We have a winner.

colormyworld240

Medalist
AFAIK, Dudakov taught Alina all her triples (except 3S and 3Lo) and her combinations. They also taught Evgenia and Anna all their triples. Sasha and Alena had their triples already, but learned their quads and 3As from the group. And of course, the group are responsible for Alena and Sasha's massive jumps (they were much smaller before if you watch their competitions prior to joining the group) and consistency. The only skaters who were mildly successful before are Sasha and Kamila.

As for taking a percentage of the skaters' earnings, all Russian coaches do this. Skaters don't pay the coaches per hour like in North America. They get their lessons for free, so everyone can skate. The federation covers a base cost: lessons, rink time, coaches, costumes, travel expenses, and competitions (from Tarakanova's comments, the federation gives you a base depending on which category of the national team you're in, and if you want a more expensive costume, a famous choreographer, or a coach not funded by the federation, you have to cover the rest yourself). That is part of why you see so many young talented skaters; you do not have to come from a wealthy family to skate. In return, if the skater becomes successful and earns rewards through competition and sponsorships, they pay a percentage of that to the coaches and the federation. I would imagine this goes towards covering the lessons of younger skaters who are unsuccessful, as only very few skaters bring in earnings in comparison to all the children who get free lessons. This is also how a coach earns the majority of their income as they don't get the hourly wages like in NA. In the case of Alina's family, they are not well off at all and would not have been able to afford figure skating in NA. 40% may seem like a lot now, but she has been skating since she was 7 (?) and all her lessons, ice time, and coaching have been free. How much money does an average skater in North America spend per year? And if Alina had not been successful, her career would not have affected her family financially.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Does she still get 40% now that Alina is on a break?

Or has she got 40% until Alina quits skating completely?

What do you mean by "she"? Do you think Eteri Tutberitze takes her share? She is a coach appointed by the government/federation, and the 30 or 40% are not for her, they are for the club/the federation.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
While the coaches are at each others throats, Alina is posting pics of herself and her dogs in front of a Christmas tree. We have a winner.

It's funny. She is still technically not an adult yet she's acting the most mature out of any of them.
As for the rest of them, they should be ashamed of themselves and their childish squabbling.

Alina is clearly happy with her decision, that is really all that matters.