Foreign Television Shows (non-US) | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Foreign Television Shows (non-US)

Smile23

On the Ice
what kind of show is Cable Girls? Is this show romantic? I didn't really give this show a chance...I skipped around in the first episode and gave up on it. Maybe I should revisit it?

It's based in 1920's Spain and its about four young women who start working in the first telephone company as operators. The show features their respective stories. As far as romance, there's is quite a bit but it's not overly done.

The main female character is in a love triangle per se with an ex-lover (whom she lost contact with years ago) and the hot young heir of the phone co. There's also a cutesy romance between another operator and an employee of the co. But there's a lot of good drama also.

The show also deals with some difficult subjects such as domestic violence and bisexuality (in the 20's).

I would give it another chance. The first episode basically just sets up the premise so it's not until episode 2 when the stories start to develop.

Actors you might know: Julio from Grand Hotel, also Angela from Grand Hotel is in it.

CokGuzel

Final Flight
OMG, that was fantastic. And then she instinctively started making out with Pilar when she woke her up. Never try to wake someone up who's having a sex dream. :laugh:

Magdalena character is hilarious; she plays ditzy really well, but she’s kind hearted. I like her and Larbi. Is Larbi’s outfit meant to be a uniform? He wears the same pants, shirt and belt all throughout the series.
Susana,for sure, is prejudiced and she only helping out at the hospital because she’s jealous of Julia who is really attracted to Fidel but fighting it because she’s already engaged.
I agree, Pilar needs to slap Luis more 😂. Love that scene where Luis was practicing his shooting and she takes the gun and waves it around. Love their acting and love how she shoots the cans effortlessly and sideways. So funny!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just saw the trailer...is this romantic as well?

There's a running storyline about the hero and the mob boss' girlfriend. But it's not a hearts and flowers kind of story.

There was an R rated sex scene in the first episode. Now, nearing end of Season 1, the action is more about them plotting their escape.

Smile23

On the Ice
I just finished episode 4 of Cable Girls and I'm enjoying it much more the second time around. You don't realize how much stuff you miss the first time around.

Bjohns

Spectator
Hi everybody I have a confession I'm addicted to velvet? When I finish watching the whole show I start it over. Lol!!! The show is so funny,dramatic ,sad,roooomantic . I just love me some Alberto and ana. Those characters their chemistry is soooo hot! hot!. I need help? I can't stop watching it

Bjohns

Spectator
Christina is a great actress. that sista is so kick ass. She is good .I felt sorry for her, love will do that to ya? she was scorned and full of rage. That stunt she pulled with alberto... I don't why she thought she was going to get away with faking six months

MalAssada

Medalist
Dark is fantastic. I had a great time binge watching it and discussing time travel theories in between. La Mante is also great, albeit there were some plotholes when I reached the end.

Unfortunately, Netflix Brazil is severely lacking in international, non-American/British content. I looked for The Bridge, but there is only the American version. Other very recommended Scandinavian TV shows are not avaliable. AFAIK, there is absolutely nothing in Russian.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Dark is fantastic. I had a great time binge watching it and discussing time travel theories in between. La Mante is also great, albeit there were some plotholes when I reached the end.

Unfortunately, Netflix Brazil is severely lacking in international, non-American/British content. I looked for The Bridge, but there is only the American version. Other very recommended Scandinavian TV shows are not avaliable. AFAIK, there is absolutely nothing in Russian.

My best friend and I watched La Mante together and at the end we were both screaming "No, no.. don't go in there. Come to Canada instead. You are a national treasure!" hehehe.. We found the end really bad. Do you have The Frozen Dead? We liked that one and it's mostly set in the mountains outside of Toulouse in winter so we felt right at home.

Have you ever heard of Cardinal? It's Canadian. I hope netflix picks it up. The first season was really good. The second was less good but okay and they are doing a third.

BF and I are dying for season 4 of the Bridge. We love the Scandinavian mystery stuff. We have almost nothing Russian either but something new just popped that I think is Russian (by the cast names) but with the Olympics we are on a netflix hiatus. Have you seen any of PBS/BBC's Wallander series? Those are pretty good. It stars Kenneth Branagh who plays Poirot in the newest remake of Murder on the Orient Express.

Smile23

On the Ice
Hi everybody I have a confession I'm addicted to velvet? When I finish watching the whole show I start it over. Lol!!! The show is so funny,dramatic ,sad,roooomantic . I just love me some Alberto and ana. Those characters their chemistry is soooo hot! hot!. I need help? I can't watching it

You're not alone. I went thru massive anxiety while watching Velvet, to the point that I couldn't stop thinking of the show even at work. I just couldn't deal with Alberto and Ana being separated and every time something happened to keep them separated, I got depressed.

It's a great show though and must-watch if you're a fan of romantic TV shows.

Did you watch Grand Hotel yet?

Smile23

On the Ice
I'm currently watching a South Korean drama called This is My Love. It's an old-fashioned love story with every romantic cliche you can think of. The show is all about the love story and nothing else so if you're into shows like that, this is probably for you.

It can be a little far-fetched at times because the show relies heavily on fate and how two lovers who are destined to be together will always find a way but that's what makes it so good.

Bjohns

Spectator
You're not alone. I went thru massive anxiety while watching Velvet, to the point that I couldn't stop thinking of the show even at work. I just couldn't deal with Alberto and Ana being separated and every time something happened to keep them separated, I got depressed.

It's a great show though and must-watch if you're a fan of romantic TV shows.

Did you watch Grand Hotel yet?

Yes the farther I've gotten with the grand is when the floor manager found the secret place hidden in the floor? I have the grand saved so I can go back to that episode?

Bjohns

Spectator
Yes the farther I've gotten with the grand is when the floor manager found the secret place hidden in the floor? I have the grand saved so I can go back to that episode?

If I can get a grip and give velvet a rest I can catch up on the grand Lol!!!

Smile23

On the Ice
If I can get a grip and give velvet a rest I can catch up on the grand Lol!!!

The beauty of Netflix is you can always go back and watch, which I love. I've already watched some of my faves a few times. I tried to watch Velvet a second time but it's too hard on me, even though I know what happens. That moment when Ana runs out on him at the church kills me! Or when Alberto so desperately wants to be with Ana but is forced to be with Cristina! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...I can't. :laugh:

Grand Hotel was an easier watch. So was Morocco: Love in Time of War. Those shows I can probably watch again and again.

LoveShura

On the Ice
Hi everybody I have a confession I'm addicted to velvet? When I finish watching the whole show I start it over. Lol!!! The show is so funny,dramatic ,sad,roooomantic . I just love me some Alberto and ana. Those characters their chemistry is soooo hot! hot!. I need help? I can't stop watching it
we’ve been there, we understand!!

Smile23

On the Ice
I finished This is My Love last night. Awwww....what a fun love story. Sometimes the soul needs a show that's only about the love story and how far two lovers would go to stay together, nothing else. The writers did such a good job handling everything with such sensitivity. It was a love story with a lot of difficult situations that saw the lovers have to make certain sacrifices in order to make sure they lived happily ever after.

I highly recommend it to the romantics of the board.

LoveShura

On the Ice
I must comment on Lovebird and then I can resume my life ! That took up a lot of time and emotion ,almost as bad as KS&S. Two things kept me going, how darn cute and handsome Kamran was and his good acting, and knowing that in real life they get married!! How sweet!! But was that a study on Older handsome dirty bird tortures pretty sweet young bird with his bad behavior and it’s consequences!! I’m so thankful for my sweet husband:). If any of you want to just shout out a quick thought on the movie. I know it was discussed before but I was clueless then. Thanks. Back to L&P!!!!

Smile23

On the Ice
I must comment on Lovebird and then I can resume my life ! That took up a lot of time and emotion ,almost as bad as KS&S. Two things kept me going, how darn cute and handsome Kamran was and his good acting, and knowing that in real life they get married!! How sweet!! But was that a study on Older handsome dirty bird tortures pretty sweet young bird with his bad behavior and it’s consequences!! I’m so thankful for my sweet husband:). If any of you want to just shout out a quick thought on the movie. I know it was discussed before but I was clueless then. Thanks. Back to L&P!!!!

I'm already on record as saying that Lovebird is my favorite TV series ever. It's one of those shows that will stick with you for a very long time because it will challenge you. I felt emotions while watching Lovebird that I thought I didn't have. I cried, I laughed, I cringed, I cheered, I squirmed, I was angered, I got anxiety, I felt warm and fuzzy inside, I was in awe, and everything else you can imagine.

The love story of Kamran and Feride is epic because of one simple reason: both characters are so complex that neither fits a particular stereotype. I found myself wanting to kiss Kamran and slap him all within minutes of watching him. I also found myself wanting to hug Feride and strangle her within the same episode.

Kamran and Feride are flawed characters because neither are angels or heros and they tended to bring out the worst in each other at times. But it all came from the fact that their love was generational, it was a once in a lifetime thing. The moment Feride walked into that house as a kid, she and Kamran were destined to be together but it took them a long time to realize that. And when they finally did, their insecurities still got in their way. But in the end, I think they found their happiness and that's simply being together. It doesn't matter if they bickered or played pranks on each other, their love was too strong.

And the show in general was just great. The family scenes were great, the relationship between Kamran and his father was touching, and yes there was a lot of sadness and evil people doing evil things but it was Istanbul in the 1920's, it wasn't a time of peace and love.