Italian National Championships, 13–16 December 2017 | Golden Skate

Italian National Championships, 13–16 December 2017

deneb

On the Ice

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Oh yeah! Elisabetta Leccardi is competing in the Senior competition!!!

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

I didn't realise until there now that she was old enough to be eligible for the Majors.

Oh, I really hope...

CaroLiza_fan

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Does anyone happen to know if their selection rules for who gets to go to the Olympics are still like what they were 4 years ago?
When I saw Ivan Righini's SP at the Golden Spin, I thought for a second "he's back!" and Matteo Rizzo wasn't a foregone conclusion... That feeling only lasted until the FS unfortunately... :disapp:
Daniel Grassl did land a clean 4Lz... but he got destroyed on PCS (rightfully so), so I can't imagine him being a contender...
Still, I just enjoy watching so much more when I know exactly what the target is, rather than waiting for an announcement after the comp is done... (ocd much, I know!) :eek::

Andrea82

Medalist
Does anyone happen to know if their selection rules for who gets to go to the Olympics are still like what they were 4 years ago?
When I saw Ivan Righini's SP at the Golden Spin, I thought for a second "he's back!" and Matteo Rizzo wasn't a foregone conclusion... That feeling only lasted until the FS unfortunately... :disapp:
Daniel Grassl did land a clean 4Lz... but he got destroyed on PCS (rightfully so), so I can't imagine him being a contender...
Still, I just enjoy watching so much more when I know exactly what the target is, rather than waiting for an announcement after the comp is done... (ocd much, I know!) :eek::

The internal ranking of Italian Federation is made up by score at National Championships + top 3 International scores during the current season. Junior scores count (so Rizzo can use his Egna JGP result) and from senior scores choreo sequence score is deduced.

I think Rizzo has something like a 10 points lead over Righini using their top 3 seasonal results.

The document with the selection rules for ISU Championships and Olympics contains a clause saying that "in the event that the score difference in the ranking between two or more athletes competing for the designation is less than or equal to 25 points for the artistic and 15 points for the dance, the Technical Committee may designate not only the athlete or the pair with the best ranking position, but also those in the following positions, so as to allow athletes of a similar level, in respect of the ranking, to gain experience in important races".

For Ladies second spot it's a basically a tie between Micol Crisitini and Giada Russo so far. So their result at National Championships will be crucial. But I am not sure if Roberta Rodeghiero will skate this week and what result she would need to make the Federation ignore the ranking. In the rules documents they talk about "evident superiority based on recent competitions" and "an athlete in a lower ranking position is clearly superior to an athlete in a higher ranking position, on the motivated opinion of the Technical Committee the first may be designated instead of the second" as clauses not to consider the ranking for selection.

Last year these clauses were used to select Kostner for Europeans (she only had Golden Spin IIRC and not 3 international scores). But in her case she was obviously at a different level. In other cases, I think it would create controversies. At least for Olympic selection. They may get away with "we select the top ranked for Olympics and give the Euro spot to the second in the ranking" if they are close.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Predictions Thread now up!

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?67908

Please note: this is the first scoring round of the Nationals Game. So, don't miss out on the chance to get a headstart on those that only play for the "Big Four"! ;) :biggrin:

Predictions Threads for the other Championships being held this week will follow... once I find their Entries / Results pages. :slink:

CaroLiza_fan

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Where is Nikol Gosvianni gone to? Will we ever see her skate again? I think I read she was trying out Pairs with her husband. I would love to see Giada Russo make the Olympics, technically not the best but a real joy to watch, so different from the rest of the field. I often rewatch her Red Violin.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Matteo Rizzo is good and a promising young skater, but Ivan is my sentimental favorite and is such a pleasure to the men's field. I really hope to see him at Olympics as this will be his last chance to be an Olympean.

I also wondered about Roberta and it is so unfortunate that her prospect for joining the Olympic team can be squashed because of her health. Though, Giada will be a joy to watch at the Olympics as she knows how to perform!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Isn't it so wonderful that the top two pair teams can go to Pyeongchang together, so we don't need to worry about the result at Nationals? :) All thanks to the "mission completed" at Worlds 2017 by Marchei/Hotarek and Della Monica/Guarise. :agree:

deneb

On the Ice
The schedule is postponed by 2 hours due to ice condition.

New schedule
- 19.00 Junior Ladies SP
- 21.30 Junior Men SP

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Who is the younger Italian lady that a lot of GS posters having been raving about for the past year or so? I can't remember her name or age (though I'm pretty sure she's quite young, less than 15 or 16). Been trying to figure out if she's competing in seniors because that will impacted my predictions :)

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
She is Elisabetta Leccardi and she was born in 2001, making her age eligible for ISU senior championships.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Who is the younger Italian lady that a lot of GS posters having been raving about for the past year or so? I can't remember her name or age (though I'm pretty sure she's quite young, less than 15 or 16). Been trying to figure out if she's competing in seniors because that will impacted my predictions :)

She is Elisabetta Leccardi and she was born in 2001, making her age eligible for ISU senior championships.

I have been a big fan of Elisabetta's ever since I first saw her a few years ago. And I was so impressed with her straight away.

Although, she did give me a massive scare at the Lombardia a couple of years ago (PBP starts with this post, and the conversation continues onto the next page; and it was also talked about in the Injuries thread, starting here). Thankfully, she was not as badly injured as we feared, and was back competing at the Merano Cup 2 months later.

And she has continued to impress me. To the extent that I have already nailed my colours to the mast and declared her as my choice to join Carolina in the Olympic team (see this post).

After I found out that Elisabetta is Senior eligible earlier in this thread, I started making a Fan Fest for her. But, had to break away to get my last interviews uploaded, and then those problems in the Fan Fest Forum cropped up, followed by the weird happenings with WYSIWYG mode.

But, I'm hoping to get it up tomorrow, just in time for the Senior competitions starting. (Today, the priority is making predictions, and watching some of the GP Final, which I haven't finished yet... :slink: )

CaroLiza_fan

deneb

On the Ice
And she has continued to impress me. To the extent that I have already nailed my colours to the mast and declared her as my choice to join Carolina in the Olympic team (see this post).
Unfortunately Elisabetta had an issue with her ankle some weeks ago so she had to withdraw from 2 competitions.
She made her debut among seniors last week at Golden Spin of Zagreb.
It's unlikely she can join Italian team, in the ranking she is behind Micol Cristini and Giada Russo for about 40 points, so, if Roberta cannot recover, the match is between Giada and Micol (they are pretty much tied).

And don't forget to have a look at Lucrezia Beccari among juniors (first season for her, same age of Alessia Tornaghi), really talented skater.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Unfortunately Elisabetta had an issue with her ankle some weeks ago so she had to withdraw from 2 competitions.
She made her debut among seniors last week at Golden Spin of Zagreb.
It's unlikely she can join Italian team, in the ranking she is behind Micol Cristini and Giada Russo for about 40 points, so, if Roberta cannot recover, the match is between Giada and Micol (they are pretty much tied).

And don't forget to have a look at Lucrezia Beccari among juniors (first season for her, same age of Alessia Tornaghi), really talented skater.

Oh dear. I never heard that about Leccardi.

I hope she is trully fit enough to compete here. We don't want to see her hurting herself further.

As for the OLympic team, I have never been a big fan of Roberta, so my biases meant I wasn't considering her anyway. But between the other two, I don't know who I would choose.

I really rated Micol when she was in Juniors, but she struggled in the years after she turned Senior. Giada had a lot of success when she turned Senior, but she has struggled recently. Meanwhile, Micol has re-found her form.

At the moment, I think I'll go for Micol.

Haven't come across Beccari before, so thanks for the tip off. If she's as good as Tornaghi, she'll definitely be somebody to watch!

CaroLiza_fan