Pairs Long Programs | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Pairs Long Programs

cassiem

On the Ice
That long was much better by V/T although I still think S/S have the edge. But it's going to be close. I think the main thing V/T have to do is get a new short program.

I thought the scores for Sui/Han are outrageous. They have the tricks but their Components should be nowhere near Takahashi/Tran. Pair skating is defined as two skating as one. They skate so out of synch with each other it's like they just met and their basic skating skills are very poor. And yet only a one-point difference in components. What are the judges smoking? Takahashi/Tran are fabulous. It pains me to see their mistakes but that doesn't change the fact they're much smoother than Sui/Han.

I'm not a fan of Duhamel/Radford either and think the height difference is too much but I think their program was a good choice.

gold12345

Medalist
It's safe to say, S/S and V/T will be great competition for each other this year, once again.

Gret energy, performance and effortless throws and lifts. Finally a tiny Pairs girl for China. Dangerous threats and possible future greats. Just give them a few years.

Finally tiny? :laugh: Sui is still so young though. It's likely she will grow.

That's a nice program for D/R. They obviously enjoy it and did it pretty well and it's a feel-good program for the audience. Awkward one-handed lifts - is she too heavy for him??

I think her lack of flexibility makes some of the lifts more awkward/unbalanced than they should be. He's twice her height... There's no way she's too heavy for him. :laugh:

High scores at this pairs event. They scored to low at SA imo.

I don't know... 8 pairs scored over 103 pts in the LP here... 6 at Skate America (and the two pairs that didn't did not skate well at all). I'd say it's similar, at least in the LP.

I thought the scores for Sui/Han are outrageous. They have the tricks but their Components should be nowhere near Takahashi/Tran. Pair skating is defined as two skating as one. They skate so out of synch with each other it's like they just met and their basic skating skills are very poor. And yet only a one-point difference in components. What are the judges smoking? Takahashi/Tran are fabulous. It pains me to see their mistakes but that doesn't change the fact they're much smoother than Sui/Han.

I agree. Takahashi/Tran have such beautiful skating. Their lifts are stunning. If they were more solid with throws and jumps, their PCS would probably increase dramatically. Sui/Han are still rather juniorish, definitely.

Last edited:
Can't wait for V/T match-up with S/S. I enjoy watching V/T and root for them for silver at Worlds. S/S are my faves -- S/S and coach Steuer always bring something new and different. V/T Swan suits them more than their sp, but their Swan still needs work. I think they were over-scored a bit here.

Like I said before, S/S always have to be lights out when it comes to the big time comps, no matter the fact they have invigorated the pairs field over the past 6 years. For me, V/T are good competition for S/S, but are still finding their identity as a pair. Both S/S programs this season are much more exciting IMO.

ETA: ITA re your scoring assessment, lavender.
This (bolded part) was my main point. I think they found their identity with this program, though. Worlds just got more interesting where pairs are concerned. Sui-Han will be fun too. These are really three totally different types of pairs who can all put up big scores.

apple123

On the Ice
I think it's not the judges are smoking, it's you! You must be blinded by your hatred of S/H to see a different program from everyone else. They put their heart and soul into the performance, and they deserve every point they earn. When T/T made so many mistakes, it really take away the whole feel of their skate, sad to see. I think the judging reflected this.

cutesonic

Rinkside
Your prejudice is so obvious. They skate with heart and passion, which you obviously didn't see. Never see such ridiculosu accusation. Guess who is smoking.

I'm not a fan of Duhamel/Radford either and think the height difference is too much but I think their program was a good choice.

cutesonic

Rinkside
Finally tiny? :laugh: Sui is still so young though. It's likely she will grow.

I think her lack of flexibility makes some of the lifts more awkward/unbalanced than they should be. He's twice her height... There's no way she's too heavy for him. :laugh:

I don't know... 8 pairs scored over 103 pts in the LP here... 6 at Skate America (and the two pairs that didn't did not skate well at all). I'd say it's similar, at least in the LP.

I agree. Takahashi/Tran have such beautiful skating. Their lifts are stunning. If they were more solid with throws and jumps, their PCS would probably increase dramatically. Sui/Han are still rather juniorish, definitely.

Well, it seems she will stay young forever in your eyes rather than notice the improvements and efforts they have made. Just think about they have worked to get this. You should feel ashamed of saying such words.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Well, it seems she will stay young forever in your eyes rather than notice the improvements and efforts they have made. Just think about they have worked to get this. You should feel ashamed of saying such words.

Why? That poster pretty much pointed out the problems with Sui/Han. She IS young. Sixteen is ridiculously young in pairs skating. And they ARE sloppy. Look at her feet in the lifts. There's nothing they said that they should be "ashamed" of, that's just overreacting by quite a lot.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And they ARE sloppy. Look at her feet in the lifts. There's nothing they said that they should be "ashamed" of, that's just overreacting by quite a lot.

Yes, overall, Sui/Han are labored and sloppy and their posture is absolutely horrendous. I can sometimes marvel at the technical ability given their ages, but their artistic aspects leave A WHOLE LOT to be desired. They are over-marked in PCS, IMO. I don't understand why certain posters attack other posters for not worshiping at the alter of their favorite skaters. :rolleye:

Last edited:

cutesonic

Rinkside
Why? That poster pretty much pointed out the problems with Sui/Han. She IS young. Sixteen is ridiculously young in pairs skating. And they ARE sloppy. Look at her feet in the lifts. There's nothing they said that they should be "ashamed" of, that's just overreacting by quite a lot.

Well, again such condescending judegements. I don't deny they have weakness as they're so young and promising. What I mean is you guys should see more of their efforts and passion rather than cling to the weaknesses and accuse them of this again and again. I understand everyone has their preference and favorite pairs. What about if I say T/T are stupid and never make the tricks? Well, first I'll never say it, and I also see their shining points rather than onlymake accusation about their techinical weakness. Second, how would you feel if I say this? Guess everyone should pay a little respect for the efforts made by the athletes.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Well, again such condescending judegements. I don't deny they have weakness as they're so young and promising. What I mean is you guys should see more of their efforts and passion rather than cling to the weaknesses and accuse them of this again and again. I understand everyone has their preference and favorite pairs. What about if I say T/T are stupid and never make the tricks? Well, first I'll never say it, and I also see their shining points rather than onlymake accusation about their techinical weakness. Second, how would you feel if I say this? Guess everyone should pay a little respect for the efforts made by the athletes.

I find it entirely classless that you decided to 1. Drag another team into this conversation despite the fact that they had not been referred to and 2. To go as fall as to accuse them of being unintelligent even though that has NOTHING to do with skating.

Also, have you heard of the expression "constructive criticism"? Sui/Han are exceedingly proficient technically, there is no denying that. However, in order for them to enter the upper echelon of pairs skating, they need to brush up on the point made beforehand. Why do we need to put them on a pedestal? We all already know they are good with the elements. Nobody's DISRESPECTING others, as you say. Obviously, T/T have technical problems as we all have noticed, especially Narumi, but they're good on the PCS side of things. S/H could take a lesson from them just as T/T could take a lesson in technical elements from S/H.
It's time to take off the rose-colored glasses and stop drinking the Kool-Aid. In order to pursue perfection you need to fix your flaws.

UnChosen

On the Ice

The problem is that everyone think that pairs skating can only be done in a very specific way...no diversity whatsoever. I think every Chinese skaters have been criticized in some way for not following the Russian/German skating style: P/T for "horrible" posture, Z/Z for lack of elegance/emotion, S/Z for not enough transitions, and now S/H for choppiness.

Its the same thing in the Ladies performances...skaters with a style similar to Irina Slutskaya / Carolina Kostner tends to get the worst opinions. For the men its the Plushenko like skaters.

I find it entirely classless that you decided to 1. Drag another team into this conversation despite the fact that they had not been referred to and 2. To go as fall as to accuse them of being unintelligent even though that has NOTHING to do with skating.

Also, have you heard of the expression "constructive criticism"? Sui/Han are exceedingly proficient technically, there is no denying that. However, in order for them to enter the upper echelon of pairs skating, they need to brush up on the point made beforehand. Why do we need to put them on a pedestal? We all already know they are good with the elements. Nobody's DISRESPECTING others, as you say. Obviously, T/T have technical problems as we all have noticed, especially Narumi, but they're good on the PCS side of things. S/H could take a lesson from them just as T/T could take a lesson in technical elements from S/H.
It's time to take off the rose-colored glasses and stop drinking the Kool-Aid. In order to pursue perfection you need to fix your flaws.

There's a difference between constructive criticism and outright attack. A better way to phrase that post would be "S/H has nice speed and emotion but they need to work on their unison and skating skill a bit more for better PCS"...instead of "the score is outrageous".

I'm sure people would not take me kindly if I say something like "T/T's PCS score is outrageous because their skating is horribly slow and they stumble all over the place"...No, I would say that they "should work on improving their speed and technical".

If you look back in this thread you'll see that I like Sui-Han and value the diversity of styles in this pairs comp, but I suggest you guys relax about the criticism. Posters in these forums can be very flippant and harsh. Rudeness comes with anonymity. It has nothing to do with Sui and Han. It could be Kostner, Cohen, Chan, V/M, D/W... anybody but Takahashi who is the chief beloved of this forum. : )

Tigger

Final Flight
What I can't believe is how many veteran members here have fallen for the antics of someone who, by looking at their joining date, is just here for one reason and one reason only.

I like Sui/Han, but they have a lot to work on. They've improved, yes, but they've still got a long way to go too. It's called being Teenagers and just out of Junior ranks. Congratulations to them on their Silver and loved their LP, as it's a good start for them development wise. Looking forward to watching them grow up the next few years.

So happy for Megan and Eric!!! I enjoy them and their skating and looking very much to seeing how the rest of their Season goes.

Not sure if it's just early days or nerves or what, but I didn't care for Tatiana and Max's FP. I wanted to, as I loved what they did last year. I'm hoping it's just because it's early in the Season.

All in all, a not too shabby afternoon of skating. :eek:)

yqs100

On the Ice
V/T are so overscored!!!!!

1. boring program, I almost fell asleep, they should add more transitions,,,not just posing posing....
2. these two are lack of chemistry
3. please give me more speed speed speed!!!

Posters in these forums can be very flippant and harsh. Rudeness comes with anonymity. It has nothing to do with Sui and Han. It could be Kostner, Cohen, Chan, V/M, D/W... anybody but Takahashi who is the chief beloved of this forum. : )

Chief beloved of this forum? Sigh....we all have excellent taste, then!

Back to topic...I'll have to go watch Sui/Han and see what they've achieved so far. Speaking totally from ignorance, I'd like to remind everyone that when Shen/Zhao first started, they seemed incredibly skillful but lacking in smoothness and emotional connection, and look at them now. I will wish for the same outcome with Sui/Han.

Chief beloved of this forum? Sigh....we all have excellent taste, then!
Exquisite discernment -- just one of the many virtues of GS. : )

I'm not sure I'd compare S/H to S/Z but it's hard to deny that they have potential, with so much strength and drive. If they continue to be size-compatible.