Practice Reports | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Practice Reports

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Digerness and Neudecker were partners a few years ago and I liked them together but are competing here with different partners ..
Nica suffered a serious injury a few years ago, which required surgery and extensive rehab. Perhaps Sappenfield, who was their coach at the time, counseled Danny to find another partner. He looked good with Sasha Fakhroutdinov. Sasha is a good jumper. It seemed like they started well together but ultimately, in big competitions, Sasha looked nervous and their timing was off. I'm not sure why Danny & Sasha split and didn't see things through. The little I previously saw of Grace Hanns, I was not impressed with her tech skills. Grace & Danny have a nice look on the ice, but that's not enough. If Danny & Nica had been able to stay together, they'd surely be one of the top teams. But life happens.

I like what I've seen of Nica with Mark Sadusky. Nica had trained a bit with Ian Meyh (Sappenfield had paired them when Nica was still rehabbing). However, Nica & Ian never competed together AFAIK. Ian went back to juniors and paired with Ellie Kam (he'd previously split with Chelsea Liu when she moved to represent China). Ironically, Chelsea returned to the U.S. to skate with Danny O'Shea, and then she had to retire due to the bad fall and the concussion. And now, Danny is partnered with yet another of Ian's former partners, in Ellie. I suppose Ian moved on to pursue other interests?

Danny & Ellie looked energetic and sharp in the practices, as did Daniel Tioutmentsev and Sonia Baram. Other teams who had sharp, crisp practice elements, are Plazas/ Fernandez, and champs, Alexa/ Brandon. Jim Peterson. (along with coaching partner Amanda Evora) are known for ensuring their teams compete well at U.S. Nationals.

Spencer Howe's beard looks good on him. I didn't get to see much of Emily/ Spencer's practice.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I haven't previously seen much of Nina Ouelette and Ricky Newby-Estrella. They seem well-matched physically. They are fairly reminiscent of Canadians, Matte/ Ferland.

BTW, I noticed Danil, Anastasia, and their coach viewing pairs practice in the stands. Stasia seemed to be wearing a neck brace. I hope she will recover soon, both physically and mentally.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Nica suffered a serious injury a few years ago, which required surgery and extensive rehab. Perhaps Sappenfield, who was their coach at the time, counseled Danny to find another partner. He looked good with Sasha Fakhroutdinov. Sasha is a good jumper. It seemed like they started well together but ultimately, in big competitions, Sasha looked nervous and their timing was off. I'm not sure why Danny & Sasha split and didn't see things through. The little I previously saw of Grace Hanns, I was not impressed with her tech skills. Grace & Danny have a nice look on the ice, but that's not enough. If Danny & Nica had been able to stay together, they'd surely be one of the top teams. But life happens.

I like what I've seen of Nica with Mark Sadusky. Nica had trained a bit with Ian Meyh (Sappenfield had paired them when Nica was still rehabbing). However, Nica & Ian never competed together AFAIK. Ian went back to juniors and paired with Ellie Kam (he'd previously split with Chelsea Liu when she moved to represent China). Ironically, Chelsea returned to the U.S. to skate with Danny O'Shea, and then she had to retire due to the bad fall and the concussion. And now, Danny is partnered with yet another of Ian's former partners, in Ellie. I suppose Ian moved on to pursue other interests?

Danny & Ellie looked energetic and sharp in the practices, as did Daniel Tioutmentsev and Sonia Baram. Other teams who had sharp, crisp practice elements, are Plazas/ Fernandez, and champs, Alexa/ Brandon. Jim Peterson. (along with coaching partner Amanda Evora) are known for ensuring their teams compete well at U.S. Nationals.

Spencer Howe's beard looks good on him. I didn't get to see much of Emily/ Spencer's practice.
Appreciate the background on Nica and Danny. I knew Sappenfield was their coach and that they split but not why. I missed Danny with his second partner and only just saw him recently in a comp with Grace about the same time Nica surfaced with Mark.. I went “Huh?” but knew there had to be a reason with no other word even on Instagram. I liked Danny and Nica so much and agree they would be a force today if they had stayed together. Glad to hear Nica recovered; gosh these women have such courage! She and Mark looked wonderful and I enjoyed Danny and Grace. He is a rock it seems. Nice to see them both. As for Danny O’Shea and Chelsea, I knew of their short history and her concussion. Ellie seemed to be a miracle for him that surfaced out of no where.. so happy they found each other and they have been so wonderful in such a short time.
Daniel and Sonja are my top favorites along with Alexa and Brandon (always) and Emily and Spencer have my heart likely because of the Boston connection, Spencer’s warmth and Emily’s groundedness; they have their faults but did very well in practice imho. Again, thanks so much for sharing what you know.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Will the peacock streams have commentary?
For practice? Doubtful. So far, no commentary for junior comps. I like that, but i know many prefer commentary.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Will the peacock streams have commentary?
They don’t have commentary for practice or juniors. For seniors they will have a choice, no commentary or the “world feed” which last year consisted of Tara & Johnny.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Audrey Shin is practicing now. Black crop top, black pants, black gloves. So the theme is black I guess.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She looks a little frustrated. Now we have Isabeau Levito and she is practicing her long.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Isabeau took a fall but it didn’t look bad, she’s back up and continuing her practice. Nice Ina Bauer.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Starr is next. She will be practicing her free. It may be wishful thinking but I think getting her heart condition addressed really helped her. I mean it could not have hurt right?