The Opening Ceremony | Golden Skate

The Opening Ceremony

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Okay I decided to open a separate thread for the opening ceremony.

Which is still about 50 minutes away, which means I have another 50 minutes of snowboarder fluff to sit through on Channel 7.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Hello! I am running on 4 1/2hrs of sleep.

20 more mins of Homes under the Hammer to go and then BBC will do its lead in at half past.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Channel 7 has moved onto mogul fluff now.

I'm a bit miffed because I feel like they could be using this opportunity to replay some of the skating from earlier today, but I guess they want to use this first prime-time slot to introduce Australians to the athletes since we never hear about them.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hello! I am running on 4 1/2hrs of sleep.

20 more mins of Homes under the Hammer to go and then BBC will do its lead in at half past.

Homes Under the Hammer, I love that show! :D Do they still make new ones?!

I'm not actually watching the Opening Ceremony Live because I'm catching up on what I recorded today while at work. Somewhat irritated that the moguls preliminary event is getting full coverage but they've only shown three figure skaters so far!

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Homes Under the Hammer, I love that show! :D Do they still make new ones?!

I'm not actually watching the Opening Ceremony Live because I'm catching up on what I recorded today while at work. Somewhat irritated that the moguls preliminary event is getting full coverage but they've only shown three figure skaters so far!

:laugh: Yes, they do, they like to swap out presenters occasionally so you know it's new.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I'm so shocked that we've finally moved into the 21st century: we can stream the opening ceremonies live in U.S.! :yahoo: NBC would usually embargo it until prime time, while we saw all of the pictures online and read the tweets from the athletes hours before. :palmf:

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I wonder do the Russian athletes (or as I've taken to calling them "The athletes formerly known as Russian") get to march behind the Olympic Flag? Are they actually coming to the ceremony?

(Haven't actually seen any info about this anywhere!)

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
I wonder do the Russian athletes (or as I've taken to calling them "The athletes formerly known as Russian") get to march behind the Olympic Flag? Are they actually coming to the ceremony?

(Haven't actually seen any info about this anywhere!)

They are marching behind the Olympic flag carried by a Olympic volunteer to the Olympic anthem. Not even allowed to carry the flag :(

BBC is on! Now showing fluff. And Clare Balding is covering it :confused: I thought she went to Channel 4, but I'll take it :agree:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Hang in there. When I walked into the breakroom for my afternoon tea at 4pm they were re-showing the pairs. Some judicious use of the fast forward button may help.

They are marching behind the Olympic flag carried by a Olympic volunteer to the Olympic anthem. Not even allowed to carry the flag :(

I can hardly believe that. It's so unbelievably cruel. Grow up, IOC.

WOOT IT'S TIME FOR SKATING FLUFF

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

BBC is on! Now showing fluff. And Clare Balding is covering it :confused: I thought she went to Channel 4, but I'll take it :agree:

That's a bit harsh, I mean I can see them not allowed to carry the Russian flag, but they should at least get to carry a flag, they have been cleared to compete after all! I hope they still enjoy themselves!

Hang in there. When I walked into the breakroom for my afternoon tea at 4pm they were re-showing the pairs. Some judicious use of the fast forward button may help.

It probably would, but I do enjoy moguls so I'm watching it anyway ;), actually I enjoy pretty much all the winter sports except Cross Country Skiing and Ice Hockey.

WOOT IT'S TIME FOR SKATING FLUFF

Ooo, skating fluff, yaaaay! :biggrin: Look forward to watching that back later!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
super cute katia and harley fluff featuring baby harley doing dodgy downgraded doubles

katia's english is so cute

friendly reminder that they have only been skating together TWO YEARS

yayyyyyyyy now little kailani interview. kailani and katia are rooming together, fierce aussie queens.

no brendan fluff. how rood.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
super cute katia and harley fluff featuring baby harley doing dodgy downgraded doubles

katia's english is so cute

friendly reminder that they have only been skating together TWO YEARS

yayyyyyyyy now little kailani interview. kailani and katia are rooming together, fierce aussie queens.

no brendan fluff. how rood.

No Brendan? That's terrible! (I did see a post from him on Instagram, he seemed to be having some sort of treatment on his leg? I hope he's OK!)

But the rest sounds so cute and amazing!

Harley's story is so cool! If not for that wrong turn where would he be now I wonder? ;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
People on planes heading to Korea. All of the logos of past winter games being worked in in chronological order.

EDIT: And first Yuna sighting during that sequence. Aussie commentators are betting heavily on her lighting the cauldron.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Ready to see how loud and messy the Italian delegation will be! #ItalianStyle

(will no OAR athletes be there?)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
We open with a gong from the giant bell in the middle. Light spreads across the stage from it, and now the fireworks go crazy.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I'm here and much warmer watching this than the athletes are over there.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Super adorable kids on a fantasy adventure.

OOOH giant white tiger!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
If Robin could stop mumbling that'd be nice.

these opening cinematics are super cool though! :agree: :cool:

Ach, I thought we were using the Parade thread! I was wondering where everybody was! :laugh:

Here's what I wrote over there:

Robin Cousins and John Hunt will be commentating on the BBC coverage.

Martin Haven and Patrick Winterton are commentating for Eurosport.

With this in mind, I'll be watching Eurosport.

CaroLiza_fan