Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club | Page 58 | Golden Skate

Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club

Haleth

On the Ice
Thank you mods for taking away the discourse and placing it where it belongs.

So happy Jason got to dogsit a Wheaten Terrier puppy; they are super sweet and funny. This one reminds me of our old boy who used to enjoy napping on my partner. Perhaps Evgenia will get a chance to meet that pup and get some canine TLC while away from Jerry. Speaking of dogs I'm glad Joseph got to visit his before the competition. Hopefully he got some more time with them before he heads back to Toronto.

Except for Javi, who had a cat named Effie living with him in TO (I think she's in Spain now?), I'm not sure if anyone else at TCC has pets. :scratch2:

TGee

Record Breaker
Except for Javi, who had a cat named Effie living with him in TO (I think she's in Spain now?), I'm not sure if anyone else at TCC has pets. :scratch2:

Zhenya has a 'rescue' ladybug at the moment. (It's already a meme among her fans.)

Given all her posts about wild things in the city, it sounds as though she'd like a pet with her.

moriel

Record Breaker
Overall, makes sense that very few skaters have pets. Having a pet is a long term thing, and is a lot of hassle. Kinda makes sense that skaters living in a foreign country, usually without their family, who have to travel a lot for competitions and shows may choose not to have pets since its hard to find someone to look over the pet while the owner is away, and expensive to pay someone to take care of it (since that is a lot of traveling). Add to it the potential worries (i mean, imagine your pet is sick and you have to travel to compete). Then, once the skater decides to change coaches or retire, all the hassle of relocating the pet (this can be a major trouble due to different laws about vaccination and all, + usually is quite expensive also). Last but not least, not all pets enjoy being relocated to a very different place (fml, my cat still lives at my parents, because i got him while at uni, and he failed to adapt to my flat once I moved out, so had to leave him there and now visit daily to play and care).

TGee

Record Breaker
Pets can be an incredible source of comfort and stability when a young person moves away from home.

I brought pets with me when I went to grad school in another country and they helped me through a great deal.

But it limited where I could live and I had to find housemates that welcomed them and helped to care for them when I was out of town.

And the extra costs of housing and pet care were significant in relation to my small stipend for living expenses.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would love to interview both of these young men and ask them what it's like to be considered the next Patrick Chan. Personally, I would consider it, the hornor of a lifetime. Patrick is a legend.

The horror of a lifetime, or the honor of a lifetime? :laugh2: Was that a Freudian slip, or a mere typo, Mr Rice?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself!! :biggrin: Just kidding. But being compared to a legend can have its downside as well as its perks, as we all know. :)

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Zhenya has a 'rescue' ladybug at the moment. (It's already a meme among her fans.)

Oh, that's lovely! Yet more evidence of Zhenya's adorable, whimsical side. :)

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What an ugly dress, a rip off. For $1350 you can make beautiful custom made dress.

Ugh, those talons. I don't mind the dress. BTW, please don't anyone get their grouse feathers ruffled: I love :luv17: Gabby.

Haleth

On the Ice
Jason is continuing his exploration of Toronto on the weekends. Today's photo was taken at the heart sculpture in the distillery district.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmZRrFlBGnp/?taken-by=jasonbskates

Sion Kamada has been working with David Wilson on his choreography and posted a photo with Jason:

Jason and Sion

I'm glad he got to explore the DD! I hope he and others in Team Cricket get to come back and enjoy the Christmas Market that runs there in November and December. A hectic time to be sure for the skaters and the coaches, but hopefully they'd get a day here or there to enjoy something nearby. The market's on the European model, with wooden huts as well as the old brick buildings filled with shops and restaurants. You can also enjoy glühwein and other hot drinks in heated outdoor bars on nice nights. Myself I prefer the shots of drinking chocolate served at Soma. They make you think you can do lvl 4 spins and quad axels for the next hour or so lol.

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm glad he got to explore the DD! I hope he and others in Team Cricket get to come back and enjoy the Christmas Market that runs there in November and December. A hectic time to be sure for the skaters and the coaches, but hopefully they'd get a day here or there to enjoy something nearby. The market's on the European model, with wooden huts as well as the old brick buildings filled with shops and restaurants. You can also enjoy glühwein and other hot drinks in heated outdoor bars on nice nights. Myself I prefer the shots of drinking chocolate served at Soma. They make you think you can do lvl 4 spins and quad axels for the next hour or so lol.

Your description of the Christmas Market sounds a lot like the open air Christkindlmarket in Chicago which also runs in November and December. (I don't live in the area but have traveled there over the years and bought my share of wooden animals /glass ornaments / souvenir mugs. :laugh:)

http://www.christkindlmarket.com/chicago/

Jason probably visited it a few times during his years living in the Chicago area and I'm sure he would also enjoy exploring the Toronto Christmas Market. :)

(The heated outdoor bars and shots of drinking chocolate sound like fun to me!)

Haleth

On the Ice
Chuckling at Evgenia's saucy response to Javier's trollish* Instagram post: https://www.instagram.com/p/BmatsmknjTX/?taken-by=javierfernandezskater
* = by which I mean people have been debating whether that means he is jokingly or seriously hoping to go back to training, or if he's actually about to start it, since he's got an ice show in Ontario later this month and the JO (and maybe Europeans?) ahead of him.

Also Conrad filmed Stephen while they were out on an upper-level balcony of the TCC, close by one of the off-ice training rooms iirc (according to pictures and videos taken earlier this year by Conrad). It's on an Instastory for the next hours: https://www.instagram.com/stories/conradorzel/

A quiet moment not long before they both embark on the JGP series in the next few weeks.

ETA: Thanks to @siberia82 for discovering that Joseph and Conrad's ISU bios were updated recently. You can check their respective FFs for S82's discussion of their growth. I was interested to see that (as hinted very strongly in last week's competition in QU and in Joseph's words to s82) Brian is now Joseph's official coach (J is not officially co-coached by Tracy or Lee, but that does not mean he isn't working with them, because the team approach is central to TTC coaching). Joseph's still skating for his home rink in Laval, however. In contrast Lee is listed as Conrad's new official coach, but his rink is now officially TCC. And you can see the team approach already at competitions, with Brian, Lee, and Ghislain all at Minto, whereas Ghislan was in the K&C with Joseph in QU (Brian was in China).

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00015182.htm

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00055043.htm

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I know Joseph came to TCC later than Conrad did. Seeing Brian listed as his main coach makes me wonder whether he 'got Boyang's spot' in some way, when Boyang decided not to come. Just because Brian normally likes to limit the number of students for whom he's the main coach, so with Boyang not coming in the end he had more room. Joseph was there by July 4th according to his Insta. It doesn't really matter of course, just made me wonder.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Brian got tired of not having enough top Canadian skaters at the TCC, so he decided to round up all the top junior men.

narcissa

Record Breaker
I'm not talking about EliteXpression. I'm talking about the ones at mycostumehouse.com specifically since the Gabby Daleman collection was mentioned.

They are asking for $800-$1400 for dresses with unfinished hems, not particular blinged out and with visibly poor stitching in some samples. All RTW. I've worked in and around the garment industry for the last 20 years and I'm not particularly impressed. I seem to recall this particular designer getting called out by a more established dress maker in the US last year and then having to take her Etsy store down.

I don't think people will be lining up to pay $1350 for this. http://mycostumehouse.com/product/empress-2-0/

I think the prices are a tad high, but since it's Canadian dollars, it's only slightly more than custom made dresses made by local designers. Although if you're paying that much for a dress you might as well get it custom made. It looks like this shop is allowing customization and the dresses are more like models? Anyway, whatever. I don't think the dresses are ugly although I also see the unfinished hems and wonder about that. BTW what is it about this designer having to take her Etsy store down?

narcissa

Record Breaker
Chuckling at Evgenia's saucy response to Javier's trollish* Instagram post: https://www.instagram.com/p/BmatsmknjTX/?taken-by=javierfernandezskater
* = by which I mean people have been debating whether that means he is jokingly or seriously hoping to go back to training, or if he's actually about to start it, since he's got an ice show in Ontario later this month and the JO (and maybe Europeans?) ahead of him.

I still haven't gotten over Javi's semi-retirement yet. What is skating without Yuzu vs. Javi rivalry? Ugh bye.

tothepointe

On the Ice
I think the prices are a tad high, but since it's Canadian dollars, it's only slightly more than custom made dresses made by local designers. Although if you're paying that much for a dress you might as well get it custom made. It looks like this shop is allowing customization and the dresses are more like models? Anyway, whatever. I don't think the dresses are ugly although I also see the unfinished hems and wonder about that. BTW what is it about this designer having to take her Etsy store down?

https://www.facebook.com/BGSkatingW...4950.109398.317053414973383/1749386641740046/

https://www.facebook.com/BGSkatingW...4950.109398.317053414973383/1749387491739961/

This was from last year.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
That pricing is a myth. Also these are not dressed for Gabby but for the average skater. You can get a dress that is much nicer from a more established dressmaker for about 1/2 the price with more expensive crystals etc.

http://www.bradgriffies.com/e55.html

No shade but those Costume House dresses look really boring. I think the pink one is the only one that is unique. The rest are not impressive enough for the price tag they are requesting...

I expected way more for a line that has Gabby's name attached to it.