Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club | Page 59 | Golden Skate

Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club

Haleth

On the Ice
I know Joseph came to TCC later than Conrad did. Seeing Brian listed as his main coach makes me wonder whether he 'got Boyang's spot' in some way, when Boyang decided not to come. Just because Brian normally likes to limit the number of students for whom he's the main coach, so with Boyang not coming in the end he had more room. Joseph was there by July 4th according to his Insta. It doesn't really matter of course, just made me wonder.

Brian got tired of not having enough top Canadian skaters at the TCC, so he decided to round up all the top junior men.

I had the same thought, though ofc most of the Boyang and Joseph cases are not clear to us. Back around the beginning of June TSL said they heard (likely from Doug Haw, Brian's friend) that Joseph was coming to TCC for a tryout. It wasn't clear then if it was for the summer camp or a permanent move (or both), or if a permanent position might open for the 2019-2020 season once Joseph completed the next level at school (I've no understanding of QU school structure, so I'm relying on memory of what iirc other(s) said before). Did this happen before or after Brian knew the Boyang was not coming? I don't know. It may be it originally was tied to summer instruction in some way and the combo of Joseph impressing Brian and his team and Boyang not coming made it easy to choose Joseph now, rather than saying "We like you, come see us again next year if you still want to train with us." So it may be a sign, diplomatic words aside, that Brian and Tracy don't expect Boyang to ever come, or it may be that Joseph coming sooner or later was already likely regardless of the Boyang situation.

Honestly, having Stephen, Conrad, and Joseph there, plus Cha Junhwan suggests Brian is continuing the tradition started with when he accepted Yuzu after first forging a good bond with Javi, who then was generous and secure enough to say yes. Finally, Yuzu saw Javi's honest friendliness as honest friendliness (and not a more negative form of rivalry) and responded in kind. It's taken a lot of work on all side to maintain that real warmth even through the difficult 2018-2018 season.

So once again there's potential for friendly or at least civil rivalry where skaters in the same discipline push each other to excel yet also navigate any tension to avoid some of the ugly rivalries of the past. Conrad seems friendly with Jun, Stephen, and Joseph, if their Instagram presence is to be relied on. It's not that they must be absolute BFFs _or_ enemies (false dilemma), but can at the very least not spend emotional energy on negativity that sours the morale of the team. Problems and conflicts will arise ofc, as real fs life isn't a Hallmark Channel movie, but everyone learns to confront them in a healthy manner. I look forward to seeing these young men grow as they compete with each other and wish them all good health and luck as the competitive season heats up.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I had the same thought, though ofc most of the Boyang and Joseph cases are not clear to us. Back around the beginning of June TSL said they heard (likely from Doug Haw, Brian's friend) that Joseph was coming to TCC for a tryout. It wasn't clear then if it was for the summer camp or a permanent move (or both), or if a permanent position might open for the 2019-2020 season once Joseph completed the next level at school (I've no understanding of QU school structure, so I'm relying on memory of what iirc other(s) said before). Did this happen before or after Brian knew the Boyang was not coming? I don't know. It may be it originally was tied to summer instruction in some way and the combo of Joseph impressing Brian and his team and Boyang not coming made it easy to choose Joseph now, rather than saying "We like you, come see us again next year if you still want to train with us." So it may be a sign, diplomatic words aside, that Brian and Tracy don't expect Boyang to ever come, or it may be that Joseph coming sooner or later was already likely regardless of the Boyang situation.

Honestly, having Stephen, Conrad, and Joseph there, plus Cha Junhwan suggests Brian is continuing the tradition started with when he accepted Yuzu after first forging a good bond with Javi, who then was generous and secure enough to say yes. Finally, Yuzu saw Javi's honest friendliness as honest friendliness (and not a more negative form of rivalry) and responded in kind. It's taken a lot of work on all side to maintain that real warmth even through the difficult 2018-2018 season.

So once again there's potential for friendly or at least civil rivalry where skaters in the same discipline push each other to excel yet also navigate any tension to avoid some of the ugly rivalries of the past. Conrad seems friendly with Jun, Stephen, and Joseph, if their Instagram presence is to be relied on. It's not that they must be absolute BFFs _or_ enemies (false dilemma), but can at the very least not spend emotional energy on negativity that sours the morale of the team. Problems and conflicts will arise ofc, as real fs life isn't a Hallmark Channel movie, but everyone learns to confront them in a healthy manner. I look forward to seeing these young men grow as they compete with each other and wish them all good health and luck as the competitive season heats up.

BTW Jo is done with high school. ;) I thought he wasn't done because he was 16, but his recent bday reminded me of these really YOUNG kids who start kindergarten at 5 with an August or September bday... Jo is one of those. At this point, he would normally go to Cegep in Quebec.. but he could also take some entry level classes at university in Toronto. Language doesn't seem to be a problem for him. Considering how young he is with his lucky date of birth, he could also just take a year or two off, and resume school after. It's really not a big deal when you have completed HS at 16 :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
ok.. re the dresses... i have been quiet so far with the many derogatory comments about them... fair enough, you all don't have to like them ;) I have absolutely no opinion about them, as I have never worn a dress :)

... but it's not like Gabby made them... she may have picked a few things...etc.. but you don't become a fashion stylist overnight...

Gabby is well known for her make up and always looks great : she is the perfect skater, if you are a dressmaker to get to lend a name to a line...

Tessa had pretty boring jewelry sold under her name as well.. silly crystals sold for a lot more money than they are worth...

It is what sponsors are all about... It's a great thing for the athlete... it gives them some money, some exposure in media as well, and of course, the company gets to use their image and name to attract some people who will want these dresses and I am pretty sure they will sell.

If Gabby were advertizing XYZ coffee, would someone complain that the coffee is not that great and it's overpriced? People would obviously understand it's a sponsorship deal... well those dresses are too... I am not sure why there is such an uproar... perhaps because Gabby really is a girl one can imagine in the fashion industry? Well then, good job to the company that hired her... their name, even if it's in bad terms like I read here, will circulate... great publicity stunt.

narcissa

Record Breaker
ok.. re the dresses... i have been quiet so far with the many derogatory comments about them... fair enough, you all don't have to like them ;) I have absolutely no opinion about them, as I have never worn a dress :)

... but it's not like Gabby made them... she may have picked a few things...etc.. but you don't become a fashion stylist overnight...

Gabby is well known for her make up and always looks great : she is the perfect skater, if you are a dressmaker to get to lend a name to a line...

Tessa had pretty boring jewelry sold under her name as well.. silly crystals sold for a lot more money than they are worth...

It is what sponsors are all about... It's a great thing for the athlete... it gives them some money, some exposure in media as well, and of course, the company gets to use their image and name to attract some people who will want these dresses and I am pretty sure they will sell.

If Gabby were advertizing XYZ coffee, would someone complain that the coffee is not that great and it's overpriced? People would obviously understand it's a sponsorship deal... well those dresses are too... I am not sure why there is such an uproar... perhaps because Gabby really is a girl one can imagine in the fashion industry? Well then, good job to the company that hired her... their name, even if it's in bad terms like I read here, will circulate... great publicity stunt.

None of my criticism was on Gabby, all criticism is to the dressmaker only.
That said, I don't see many "average" skating dresses that look much better than this anyway, probably because skaters need to recycle (very expensive) dresses and can't afford to get haute couture dresses that match each of their programs. So TBH I don't see anything wrong with the dresses besides the few that were copied. It's not meant to be quick fashion.

TGee

Record Breaker
Whoa, she looks great! :luv17:

I saw Jason earlier and he looks fab. I so approve of the change.
You know, this is what I love about this thread:

Not only does TCC bring together a diversity of skaters...

It brings together a diversity of fans to say,

Yes, isn't this new thing cool...

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Yeah, that looks really good on her!

I preferred Jason with long hair; it looked good on him, and it set him apart, but this is a good style; he still looks sharp, but he's not as distinctive now.

Yeah, this is definitely more mainstream! I loved the manbun :) but this also flatters him - though in a very different way. I like that he’s marking an important change with a new look.

TGee

Record Breaker
Yeah, this is definitely more mainstream! I loved the manbun :) but this also flatters him - though in a very different way. I like that he’s marking an important change with a new look.
I'm looking forward to seeing Jason experiment with it, and make it his own.

The curls are a surprise and offer lots of opportunity for personal flair.

I'm interested to see how it works with his costuming.