Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club | Page 64 | Golden Skate

Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This thread is a news and event center for the students of Brian Orser, Tracy Wilson, and Lee Barkell. You can find and discuss information about training, competitions, and social media updates from team TCC.​

Just a reminder that not everyone reads the TCC thread. Like the "season" and "national" threads, some news tends to get buried. Remember not everyone visits the forum every day or follows the "heavy and hard to navigate" threads for news. Many folks have a subscription to notify them when a new "thread" is created - not a new "post". So if you have something important to share, be sure to use the Edge.

Thanks!

oly2018

Final Flight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdNxRWyu0Nk&feature=youtu.be we have Gabby's FS too... I think she's going for 3Lz3T at the beginning. Tbh, I'm not a fan of this program at all :\

Thanks for posting! I agree... I am not a fan at all. I am going to go out on a limb and say that gladiator was even better. At least the theme made sense. Gabby is a power skater and I want to see her have programs that highlight that. I find it really interesting that here team continues to select warhorses.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdNxRWyu0Nk&feature=youtu.be we have Gabby's FS too... I think she's going for 3Lz3T at the beginning. Tbh, I'm not a fan of this program at all :\

Really? I actually like it a lot and think it will be great for her. I thought her pivot at the very beginning was really beautiful- she has a lovely way of using her body. First jump was definitely a 3z. It makes sense she’d put a 3z combo first since she usually does 3T-3T. Despite the fall she started off quite strong, I thought - but it’s early in the season and you can see she doesn’t quite have enough stamina for whole program yet. The only thing that struck me at all negatively was the “nude” gauze on her dress - she’s so tan! And the gauze is not! But I’m guessing it’s not her real costume for this season - or if it is, they’ll adjust it.

In case she didn’t announce her FS music yet (?) and people are not familiar with it, it’s excerpts from Samson et Dalila (opera by Saint Saens) - the aria is Mon cœur s’ouvre à ta voix and the wild orchestral part is the Danse Bacchanale. Not sure who the singer is, but I prefer this to the Carmen. :). With these two and the Herodiade program of a few seasons ago (dress with the cobras) she is really cornering the market on French operatic temptresses- and I think it suits her! Looking forward to seeing this as the season progresses.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Since USFS has finally confirmed that Jason will be at ACI, that means Zhenya will be there, too. :)

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Almost full house! :laugh:
I expected it but good to have official confirmation. It sure will be a competitive field!

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Great to know Jason is going to ACI too! I think this means Zhenya will be there too as I remember them saying they had the same CS assignment :)

synteis

Medalist
Yesssssssss. I bought all event tickets for my mum and I and this confirms that it'll be an incredible competition to watch. I suspect that SkateCanada wants to protect Gabe from Zhenya in competition to try and build some momentum since she's Canada's top lady this season.

TGee

Record Breaker
Yesssssssss. I bought all event tickets for my mum and I and this confirms that it'll be an incredible competition to watch. I suspect that SkateCanada wants to protect Gabe from Zhenya in competition to try and build some momentum since she's Canada's top lady this season.
I don't know.

Gabby seems to thrive on skating up to close competitors at Nationals. The 1-2-3 push for first at Nationals has helped her over the last quadrennial.

And at Worlds in 2017, Gabby seemed to soar on the situation with her, Kaetlyn and Zhenya as the final skaters in the final flight. Gabby cheered Zhenya on from the boards with no idea they'd be training mates in less than 18 months.

With Kaetlyn out of the picture this year, I can see benefit in having Gabby with Zhenya when possible.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
The only thing I worry about for Gabby at the US Classic is the altitude - it’s about 4300 feet / 1300 meters, and lots of skaters seem to struggle because of it.

Satoko and Eunsoo will be there to challenge her - not quite as good as a strong training mate, but certainly enough to fire her up. As far as I know, neither of them train at altitude either, so in theory, it shouldn’t put Gabby at a relative disadvantage. Courtney Hicks (and now Karen Chen) will also be there, and they both now train at high altitude, so it should make things interesting.

charlotte14

Medalist
The only thing I worry about for Gabby at the US Classic is the altitude - it’s about 4300 feet / 1300 meters, and lots of skaters seem to struggle because of it.

Satoko and Eunsoo will be there to challenge her - not quite as good as a strong training mate, but certainly enough to fire her up. As far as I know, neither of them train at altitude either, so in theory, it shouldn’t put Gabby at a relative disadvantage. Courtney Hicks (and now Karen Chen) will also be there, and they both now train at high altitude, so it should make things interesting.
Gabby almost never peaked at early season.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Gabby almost never peaked at early season.

Well, that’s another issue entirely!

Most skaters - including Jason and Yuzuru - peak later in the season, for good reason. From what I saw of Gabby in her GTSA skates, she made a good start on both programs but needs more time with the new FS.

We’ll see what happens, I guess.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
No reports at all?

I thought that there is usually a group photo at the end?

The coaches aren’t usually in the group photo. And Jason wasn’t in the picture cause he missed the first day when it was taken.

Maybe we’ll find out if there’s a champs camp story about him.