Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club | Page 66 | Golden Skate

Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thanks for the info. That doesn't seem to match up with the coaching requirements listed on the USFSA chart though.

http://www.usfsa.org/content/Coaches Requirements Chart.pdf

Are you saying the certification requirement (Required - Professional Coach/Choreographer CER (4 courses - 1 in each topic area) in the column Coach Traveling to Competitions as Part of Team USA only applies to US coaches and that international coaches of Team USA skaters have different requirements?

Well, I meant the ISU doesn't care about US certification. Maybe the US fed wants it for international comps, but there's no real reason it should be necessary. Not that many US skaters train abroad so I'm not sure. The only Gadbois coach with US certification is Patrice. Having Madi and Zach ever competed without him?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
If I am remembering correctly, the following TCC skaters will be at ACI:

Sr Men
Yuzuru
Jun
Jason

Sr Women
Evgenia

Am I missing someone? That’s only four skaters. Wouldn’t Brian and Tracy be able to handle that?

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If I am remembering correctly, the following TCC skaters will be at ACI:

Sr Men
Yuzuru
Jun
Jason

Sr Women
Evgenia

Am I missing someone? That’s only four skaters. Wouldn’t Brian and Tracy be able to handle that?

Last year there was also a Junior competition at ACI but I don't know if any TCC skaters are competing if it's happening this year. I mainly asked the question to keep the TCC thread active and relevant. :laugh:

However, if (as DinkyD reported in the Jason FF thread) no TCC coach was with Jason at CC, then they were all either too busy to handle that or didn't have the proper certification.

In less than a month we'll see Jason's new programs and whether the USFSA certification requirements impact who sits with him in the KnC. I'm curious about both.

Yoa

On the Ice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSN80rh1Su0 Cricket club tour with eng subs. I watched it before but I didn't know that there's a version with eng subs. They talked a little bit about benefits of using sand under the ice, plates with world champions and olympic medalists and using bell after clean run-throughs. I thought it might be interesting to the fans of new TCC skaters :)

Yoa

On the Ice
Interview with Conrad :) He talks a lot about TCC.

Orzel has embraced his new training environment at the Cricket Club and said he is more inspired than ever before skating alongside the likes of Yuzuru Hanyu, Evgenia Medvedeva, Jason Brown and Jun-Hwan Cha. “There are a lot of other amazing skaters there and that creates a really positive environment. Everyone is trying to get better and we all help each other improve. I see that Jun’s skating skills and jumps are so good and that really motivates me to improve and become a better skater as well.”

Orzel said that training alongside three of his junior rivals — Stephen Gogolev, Joseph Phan and Corey Circelli — is an inspiring scene to be part of. “It is great. We really support one another and we are all really motivated. Every single skater at the Cricket is so motivated. It never bothers any of us that we are competing against each other because we all have our own personal goals. Off the ice we are able to put competition aside and have a really great friendship with each other.

“When we are training we are always watching each other and trying to improve off one another. For example, if one person is doing stroking or jumps and they are improving, I reflect on that myself and think, ‘can I improve this, or can I do that better? How can I incorporate that into my element or jump or whatever I am doing?’”

The junior skaters train in the elite sessions alongside the senior skaters at the Cricket Club. Orzel said everyone has the same schedule “so we are all in the highest session category together. It’s really cool.”

“I am really grateful to the Cricket for taking me on, putting so much work into me and for giving me the opportunity to skate with all the other amazing athletes there. It was kind of rough … when I was not skating my best, but moving to the Cricket Club and getting the reassurance that I can progress has helped me find my love for skating again

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting confirmation that Lee is Conrad’s “primary” and a discussion of Lee’s strengths.

Lee is racking up the frequent flyer points between Stephen and Conrad:shocked:

TGee

Record Breaker
Interesting confirmation that Lee is Conrad’s “primary” and a discussion of Lee’s strengths.

Lee is racking up the frequent flyer points between Stephen and Conrad:shocked:
Yes, when Lee was listed for both events, it suggested he was staying on in Europe, but quite the opposite.

I wonder how Jo's first JGP will be managed among the TCC coaching team.

Haleth

On the Ice
Yoa, that's a fantastic article! I hope Conrad meets his goals as well as continues to regain his love of skating -- though I own it's challenging out there and Brian (and Raf so I imagine this would hold true of many honest coaches) has said it can take a couple years for major results to happen. Kudos as well for being appreciative of his former coach.

It really looks like we now have attempts to replicate the successful rivals relationship Javi and Yuzu have enjoyed among the junior men. Not that anyone should expect that everyone needs to be BFFs 5eva, but to be able to learn from and support each other yet complete fiercely w/o making it ugly/personal is a remarkable goal. It's not always been a garden of roses for the senior men, nor will it be always in the future for the juniors, but I do think it's a worthy effort.

Also: WOW I would not expect Lee to do what he did, considering the challenges of the travel to and from Europe. Kudos for him to go that extra mile for Conrad. Lee has always seemed to try to ground Gabby; he's always seemed like a calming presence so hopefully he and Conrad will learn enough about each other to get the results Conrad wants over time.